Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Phillies @ Tigers 5-25-2016 Game 46

3 errors, starter gives up 8 hits and a walk in 6 innings, 2 relievers give up 4 hits and a walk in 2 innings and fans blame the manager.

Sanchez is woefully ineffective with two outs this season and the only error that prolonged the 4th was made by Iglesias. Moya's error did no damage and the other error was made after Sanchez was gone.

Sanchez is woefully ineffective with two outs this season and the only error that prolonged the 4th was made by Iglesias. Moya's error did no damage and the other error was made after Sanchez was gone.

believe me...I agree. Sanchez sucks, but so does the majority of the bull pen.

Jim and Dan were surprised Iggy's was ruled an error.

3 errors, starter gives up 8 hits and a walk in 6 innings, 2 relievers give up 4 hits and a walk in 2 innings and fans blame the manager.

Lead off Triple and the next three can't even get the ball out of the infield. who do you blame for batters of .152, .150, .223. And OBTW the .223 guy is an rbi machine 62 in 975 ab's

Keep taking 2 of 3 and they'll start making believers out of even the people that have been shitting on them since the off season (myself included).

Keep taking 2 of 3 and they'll start making believers out of even the people that have been shitting on them since the off season (myself included).

In 10 series against teams with winning records. Tigers are 11-19. 3 series wins 6 series loses and 1 tie. Not good, chances of winning in playoffs and going deep not good, with those numbers. Of course I do not see them losing every game against Cleveland! But then again hard to believe they will beat Minnie every game?!.
Which BTW that make them 12-4 against sud .500 teams. Need to keep that up against the A's and Angels in the next two series. And really take the Yank in the make up game!

Sanchez has got to pitch better.

recent pattern for the tigers

Sanchez pitches, they lose
win
win
win
win
win
win
win
win

This team will do the cha - cha every 5 days with Sanchez and Pelfrey and Tigers brain dead brain trust will continue putting them out there.

Got to take them out of the rotation, and try the kids, can't be any worse.

If they keep sending them out through the summer, this team will barely be .500 Scherzer was sent down and came back pitching like a clone of Bob Feller and Walter Johnson.

STREAKS AND STATS:
Mike Aviles' double in the third inning marked his first extra-base hit of the season.

Jose Iglesias snapped an 0-for-7 hitless slump with his RBI single in the third inning. It was just his second hit in the last 19 at-bats, the other coming on May 22 as a late-inning replacement. The RBI was also his first driven in since he knocked in two RBI on May 17, six games ago. He later singled in the fifth inning, giving him his first two-hit day since May 1.

Cameron Maybin had another multi-hit game, his third straight game with multiple hits recorded in each. It's the eighth time in his MLB career he's done so -- the last was when he had five straight multi-hit games on Aug. 12-17, 2015.

Lead off Triple and the next three can't even get the ball out of the infield. who do you blame for batters of .152, .150, .223. And OBTW the .223 guy is an rbi machine 62 in 975 ab's

obviously I blame the players for not coming through.

Tigers fans tend to be fickle. They jump all over a player who has a history of success with the team and has a decent salary, and the moment he has a rough stretch, they are all over his back. Yet, new players to the team with decent salaries or younger, inexpensive players are given a pass. Not too long ago, there were those that were all over Miggy for "not producing". And while his numbers were down, he hardly sucked.

Personally, I will give Sanchez a break, just like I gave Verlander and V-Mart a break. I will not give Pelfrey or Upton a break.

Tigers fans tend to be fickle. They jump all over a player who has a history of success with the team and has a decent salary, and the moment he has a rough stretch, they are all over his back. Yet, new players to the team with decent salaries or younger, inexpensive players are given a pass. Not too long ago, there were those that were all over Miggy for "not producing". And while his numbers were down, he hardly sucked.

Personally, I will give Sanchez a break, just like I gave Verlander and V-Mart a break. I will not give Pelfrey or Upton a break.
Sanchez has been bad since the beginning of 2015, it's tough to watch him struggle so much. I'd personally make it a point to avoid buying tickets to one of his starts. It's nothing personal against him but he's not giving the team a chance to win and he's making a lot of money. Given the contract situation, there's not much we can do but have the coaches work with him and send him out there every 5th day unfortunately

Sanchez has been bad since the beginning of 2015, it's tough to watch him struggle so much. I'd personally make it a point to avoid buying tickets to one of his starts. It's nothing personal against him but he's not giving the team a chance to win and he's making a lot of money. Given the contract situation, there's not much we can do but have the coaches work with him and send him out there every 5th day unfortunately

It isn't that fans are on Sanchez for his poor performance. It is that they don't get on new players as bad (i.e. Upton). That is what I don't get.

Additionally, last year there was a remarkable difference when Avila caught Sanchez and when McCann caught Sanchez. I firmly believe any MLB pitcher is effected by his catcher. Look at Fister's splits last year in WSN with each of the catchers.

w/Avila 52.3 IP 3.96 ERA 1.09 WHIP .214 OPP BAVG 0.86 HR/G

w/McCann 72.3 IP 5.15 ERA 1.39 WHIP .271 OPP BAVG 1.72 HR/G

Also, and you don't want to read this, Sanchez has been misused the last few outings.

Last 5 GS

5 GS 1 QS 30.0 IP 30 H 20 ER 6 HR 11 BB 22 SO 6.00 ERA 1.37 WHIP

May 9th, after giving up 2 runs in the 6th (3 total for the game). DET is up 4-3 after 6. Sanchez lead off the top of the 7th, without Ausms pitch hitting for him. Ausmus then brings Sanchez back out to start the 7th inning. Sanchez gives up 2 singles and an error. Ryan is brought in and gives up a run. Blown Quality Start. Tigers go on to lose.

May 14th, after giving up 3 runs in the 6th, Sanchez is brought back out to start the 7th. He gives up a leadoff HR and is immediately pulled. Why? Either don't bring him back out or let him keep pitching. Another Blown Quality Start.

May 20th. With the game tied 3-3, Sanchez starts the 5th with a single and walk. He isn't immediately pulled. Both runners are allowed to score by the bullpen. Tigers lose game.

May 25th. Sanchez had given up just 2 ER in 6 innings. DET was down by just 1 run. He had 95 pitches through 6 innings. He was brought back out in the 7th and gave up a 0-2 HR and then was immediately pulled. Again why bring him back out if you are going to pull him after 3 pitches.

If used properly, this is probably what his statline should have been

5 GS 3 QS 30 IP 26 H 15 ER 4 HR 11 BB 22 SO 4.50 ERA 1.23 WHIP

While not overly great, it isn't exactly horrible either. And maybe with some positive results, he could gain some confidence. But what do I know, all of this is on Sanchez and nothing to do with whether Ausmus is setting him up for success or failure.

Last edited:

Actually his spiking decline began in the second half of the 2015 season.

First half: AVG .228 OBP .291 SLG .418 WOBA .306 Innings: 118
Second half: AVG .310 OBP .359 SLG .576 WOBA .399 Innings: 38

I don't know how boycotting games is going to improve his performance.

Actually his spiking decline began in the second half of the 2015 season.

First half: AVG .228 OBP .291 SLG .418 WOBA .306 Innings: 118
Second half: AVG .310 OBP .359 SLG .576 WOBA .399 Innings: 38

I don't know how boycotting games is going to improve his performance.

Well Byco, if I'm going to spend my money to go see the Tigers I'd much rather go to a game where the starter doesn't go 5 1/3 and give up 4 runs. Your comment about improving his performance is just another way to show your dislike for me, it's petty, but I expect it from you. Of course you'll come back with your dismissive narrative but we both know. My point is that if I have a chance to pick what game I go to, I'd actively avoid a Sanchez start.

Well Byco, if I'm going to spend my money to go see the Tigers I'd much rather go to a game where the starter doesn't go 5 1/3 and give up 4 runs. Your comment about improving his performance is just another way to show your dislike for me, it's petty, but I expect it from you. Of course you'll come back with your dismissive narrative but we both know. My point is that if I have a chance to pick what game I go to, I'd actively avoid a Sanchez start.

You are over-reacting. I harbor no ill-feelings for you of any kind. Or of anyone here.

You are over-reacting. I harbor no ill-feelings for you of any kind. Or of anyone here.

It doesn't bother me, it just gets a little tired that you reply in a contrarian manner to most of my posts here. It's fine to disagree, but you seem to vehemently disagree constantly on all matters concerning this team.

It doesn't bother me, it just gets a little tired that you reply in a contrarian manner to most of my posts here. It's fine to disagree, but you seem to vehemently disagree constantly on all matters concerning this team.

Just on whether or not Ausmus should remain the manager and the way he (mis)uses his personnel. That's the general topic here. And we did agree that Sanchez needs to pitch his way out of this situation.

Back