Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Orioles 5-13-2016 Game 35

tigermud

Detroit (15-19)

Kinsler, 2B
JD, RF
Miggy, 1B
Victor, DH
Nick, 3B
Upton, CF
Moya, LF
McCann, C
Iggy, SS

P: Verlander 2-3 (5.40)

Orioles (21-12)

Rickard, LF
Machado, SS
Jones, CF
Davis, 1B
Trumbo, RF
Wieters, C
Alvarez, DH
Schoop, 2B
Flherty, 3B

P: Tillman 4-1 (3.05)

Game Notes

What's wrong with the Detroit Tigers? Everything

They pitch but don?t hit. Or hit but don?t pitch.

They score early, then not again. Or pitch early, and then blow up late. As they did Thursday night, when the Tigers took a 5-0 lead into the sixth inning in Baltimore and lost, 7-5.

Wait, what?

Yes, the bullpen ? hasn?t been good lately. Which seems particularly cruel because you thought it finally had been stabilized.

When the Tigers lost to the Orioles, it was the team?s ninth loss in its last 10 games. It dropped them four games under .500, left them in fourth place in the Central Division -- which, so far, has been mediocre -- and left manager Brad Ausmus numb.

Or at least without much in the way of explanation.

?I don?t really know what to tell you, quite frankly,? Ausmus told the Free Press in Baltimore. ?It seems like every day, something different.?

This is a tricky time for Ausmus, who understands that a few more losses like Thursday?s could cost him his job. Whatever he has tried this season hasn?t worked. That?s on him.

Yet the relative failure of this season -- and we should remember it's still the middle of May -- is not all on him. Right now, this team just isn?t very good. Nor, for that matter, was it expected to be.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2016/05/13/detroit-tigers-brad-ausmus/84326314/

I will be channeling focused aggression towards the Tigers all night and not keeping up with the thread and see if we can get a positive hundredth monkey effect result. Everyone else do the same, the more the better, mind strength in numbers. Start to finish, no matter how up or down they get at any point during the game.

Last edited:
Yeah Brad, don't challenge when the replays show he was out... Are you trying to get fired???

Ok, the JD experience has not worked... Put him back to five where when he hits a bomb, it counts... He is not a "tablesetter" so to speak... Dumb move imho in the first place, I know you were trying to put Upton somewhere without killing his confidence, but come on, you've killed JD... Upton is worthless, bat him ninth... Put Iggy in the 2 hole, he makes contact, doesn't strike out much... Plus he'll get some fastballs, and hit some line drives... Also, move Nick to 3rd, Miggy to 5th until he starts to hit... Seriously, Miggy is getting eat up by inside fastballs... He is trying to shoot everything to right... Anything he tries to pull is a weak ground ball...

I can't believe Ausmus let JV give that homer up

I can't believe Brad didn't start goose in CF tonight over upton when he has the best numbers againts Tillman on the entire team 6 for 14...did Brad put the best lineup out there tonight that gave them the best chance to win? Absolutly not! didn't even bother to pinch hit him in the 7th over .100 hitting catcher when they really need a hit..

No wait actually I can believe it, that's what terrible managers do

Last edited:
Ok, the JD experience has not worked... Put him back to five where when he hits a bomb, it counts... He is not a "tablesetter" so to speak... Dumb move imho in the first place, I know you were trying to put Upton somewhere without killing his confidence, but come on, you've killed JD... Upton is worthless, bat him ninth... Put Iggy in the 2 hole, he makes contact, doesn't strike out much... Plus he'll get some fastballs, and hit some line drives... Also, move Nick to 3rd, Miggy to 5th until he starts to hit... Seriously, Miggy is getting eat up by inside fastballs... He is trying to shoot everything to right... Anything he tries to pull is a weak ground ball...

Agree JD isn't the same and he's not a 2 hitter, Miggy isn't producing...he is late on a lot of stuff he used to drive, and your right quit trying to take everything to right all the damn time turn on that shit..then upton is ...well yeah.. beyond atrocious, auto k upton.. your line up suggestions are worth a look

Last edited:
Brad says Tillman..It's very though for a right handed line up..holy balls then why the fk wasn't goose and salty in there tonight also to give em 4 of 9 left instead of 2..wtf is wrong with this guy? It's just full mental

Brad will be fired if tigers lose Sunday .they probably will wait till they get him home maybe.

Forgot about lettuce thats five left bats coulda thrown out there againts Tillman tonight lefts hit him .250 rights .186 this kinda stuff shouldn't be this difficult Brad..my gawd ok well maybe lettuce is a stretch but you get the drift

Seriously sbee how do you not see how lousy he is

#Dumbfounded and stupified

Last edited:
Verlander has allowed one run over 15 innings in his past two starts. The Tigers lost both games. Verlander threw his 22nd career complete game.
This was the 38th game Justin Verlander threw 8+ IP and gave up 1 or fewer ER... and his FIRST loss in such a game (was 34-0).

Jose Iglesias has had 24 plate appearances with runners in scoring position this year. Two RBI. Three RBI this season total.

Justin Upton: 0-for-4 with three more strikeouts

The Tigers offense: Only five hits on the night and 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position

STREAKS AND STATS:
James McCann threw out his sixth attempted base stealer of the season during the third inning.

Verlander?s eight home runs allowed this year match the total from his final 17 starts of 2015.

Steven Moya?s double in the second inning was the first of his major league career.

I'm still waiting for McCann do be the long term answer at C that many thought. Give me Avila any day..

Last edited:
Forgot about lettuce thats five left bats coulda thrown out there againts Tillman tonight lefts hit him .250 rights .186 this kinda stuff shouldn't be this difficult Brad..my gawd ok well maybe lettuce is a stretch but you get the drift

It's a common practice among tiger fans to blame the manager for the team playing poorly, it's totally wrong but completely common, I remember all of the same stuff about Leyland. There isn't really an option to exchange the 25 man roster for a new one but you can swap the coaching staff relatively easily so people want to do that in a desperate effort to improve performance. Our struggles are 99% on the players or bad luck and 1% on the coaching staff.

If the front office fires ausmus it will make fans feel better but it will not improve this team in any significant manner. Replacing Mike Aviles with a better utility player would go a lot further than replacing the coaching staff.

Also, remember that I'm not saying for Ausmus is some super star manager, I'm saying that you're completely focusing on the wrong thing. The team not scoring has next to nothing to do with managing. We don't score because we have 3 black holes in the lineup, CF, C, SS. Upton has been terrible but has a good track record, McCann, gose, and Iglesias have always been terrible offensive players.

Back