Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. orioles 5-14-16 Game 36

The only thing that will make people happy are wins...and a lot of them..
I want the same thing you want. I just think if he's fired anything that happens afterwards doesn't have much to do with Ausmus not being there. They'd most certainly play better because they can't play worse. It would be a case of correlation vs causation

Brad gets fired Monday I think. If you don't fire him you risk the chance of a winning streak with weak teams coming up and Brad in charge which gives him time .
Get the new guy in get some wins and feel better. Im not very happy about any of these options but the team is lethargic to me.
I agree, the twins make bad teams look good

Failing with the bases loaded has been a season-long trend for the Tigers, who are hitting .156 (5 for 32) in those situations this season. They have one extra-base hit (a grand slam by Jarrod Saltalamacchia) and 11 strikeouts (two each by four different players) in 32 at-bats with the bases loaded.

Here are individual numbers:

J.D. Martinez: 1 for 5, 2 SOs, RBI
Jarrod Saltalamacchia: 1 for 3, HR, SO, 4 RBIs
Nick Castellanos: 1 for 2, SO, 2 RBIs
Jose Iglesias: 1 for 2, RBI
James McCann: 1 for 1, 2 RBIs
Miguel Cabrera: 0 for 5, 2 SOs
Anthony Gose: 0 for 4, 2 SOs, RBI
Ian Kinsler: 0 for 3, 2 SOs, RBI
Andrew Romine: 0 for 2, SO
Mike Aviles: 0 for 2
Anibal Sanchez: 0 for 1
Victor Martinez: 0 for 1, RBI
Justin Upton: 0 for 1, SO, BB, RBI

The Tigers did just fine as a team with the bases loaded in 2015. They were first in the American League in batting average (.336) and third in OPS (.872) with the bases loaded last season.

Here are the Tigers players who had the most at-bats with the bases loaded last season 2015 and how they fared:

Nick Castellanos: .500 (9 for 18), 3B, 2 HRs, 23 RBIs, 1.394 OPS
Yoenis Cespedes: .462 (6 for 13), 2B, HR, 12 RBIs, 1.198 OPS
Victor Martinez: .500 (6 for 12), 2 2Bs, 12 RBIs, 1.167 OPS
J.D. Martinez: .545 (6 for 11), 2 2Bs, 2 BBs, 14 RBIs, 1.299 OPS
Ian Kinsler: .222 (2 for 17), 2 2Bs, 9 RBIs, .583 OPS
James McCann: .000 (0 for 9), 2 RBIs, .182 OPS
Andrew Romine: .625 (5 for 8), 5 1Bs, 7 RBIs, 1.250 OPS
Miguel Cabrera: .143 (1 for 13), 2B, 2 BBs, 7 RBIs, .649 OPS
Jose Iglesias: .000 (0 for 7), 2 BBs, 3 SOs, 2 RBIs, .000 OPS

Those numbers for Cabrera in 2015 look as bad as they do in 2016, but they don't represent a lengthy trend. Cabrera entered the game Saturday night hitting .388 with a .986 OPS with the bases loaded for his career.
from the Tigers team notes.

Miggy's inning ending double play with the bases loaded yesterday was about the point I quit watching the game.

I want the same thing you want. I just think if he's fired anything that happens afterwards doesn't have much to do with Ausmus not being there. They'd most certainly play better because they can't play worse. It would be a case of correlation vs causation

Just hoping the next guy gets the lineups right each night all I ask, you know like when the opposing starter has bad numbers againts left bats use your left bats, stuff like that

Last edited:
Just hoping the next guy gets the lineups right each night all I ask, you know like when the opposing starter has bad numbers againts left bats use your left bats, stuff like that

there's a lot more to think about than just the pitcher's splits, there are hitter splits, rest, health of the player, pitcher vs batter matchups, how well they hit in certain parks, how a hitter does against a certain type of pitcher, etc. A lot of those numbers are really small sample sizes but it's more than just one split.

We all know this; when a team is collectively underperforming, the offense, starting pitching bullpen all together, 1 or 2 out of 3, offense not hitting w/risp, starters barely getting to or out of the 5th inning, bullpen imploding, you can't get rid of half of the team.
The manager gets the axe. Plus even the past 2 years we have seen ausmus not making the best in game decisions.
Ausmus was supposed to be this new brand sabermetrics manager. really? and what does that say about the GM and those new guys they hired for the Tigers sabermetrics dept?

We all know this; when a team is collectively underperforming, the offense, starting pitching bullpen all together, 1 or 2 out of 3, offense not hitting w/risp, starters barely getting to or out of the 5th inning, bullpen imploding, you can't get rid of half of the team.
The manager gets the axe. Plus even the past 2 years we have seen ausmus not making the best in game decisions.
Ausmus was supposed to be this new brand sabermetrics manager. really? and what does that say about the GM and those new guys they hired for the Tigers sabermetrics dept?

Not sure Ausmus or Avila knows what a sabermetric is. Avila from the get go say's the Tigers were going to using sabermetrics and then right away he goes and trades for Maybin. Who is not someone to like based on sabermetrics.

there's a lot more to think about than just the pitcher's splits, there are hitter splits, rest, health of the player, pitcher vs batter matchups, how well they hit in certain parks, how a hitter does against a certain type of pitcher, etc. A lot of those numbers are really small sample sizes but it's more than just one split.

Yeah I get that, how bout goose 6-14 off Tillman? Didn't even pinch hit him..shm

Back