Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

K-Rod

durtymrclean

He would prob be cheaper than Soriano and I'm sure he would love to compete for a closer role again. If anything, he could help bring Rondon along since he is experienced in being a shutdown closer. Plus he is still relatively young.

K-Rod is a domestic abuse case waiting to happen. He isn't a high character guy, so why would we want him working with Rondon?

K-Rod is a domestic abuse case waiting to happen. He isn't a high character guy, so why would we want him working with Rondon?

So was Miguel Cabrera... how'd that work out? His case was dismissed by the way. The guy is talented and had a down year last year. Would you rather pay him $3-5 million or Soriano $10+ million?

So was Miguel Cabrera... how'd that work out? His case was dismissed by the way. The guy is talented and had a down year last year. Would you rather pay him $3-5 million or Soriano $10+ million?

Neither....I am ok with what we have right now.

1. Smyly or Porcello
2. Coke
3. Benoit
4. Dotel
5. Al Alburquerque
6. Marte
7. Villarreal
8. Rondon

Neither....I am ok with what we have right now.

1. Smyly or Porcello
2. Coke
3. Benoit
4. Dotel
5. Al Alburquerque
6. Marte
7. Villarreal
8. Rondon
So if Rondon flames out, al al gets hurt again, dotel finally realizes he is 40, benoit continues to struggle with the long ball, what do you rely on at that point?

So if Rondon flames out, al al gets hurt again, dotel finally realizes he is 40, benoit continues to struggle with the long ball, what do you rely on at that point?

And if Miguel hits .210 and JV gets hurt it won't matter anyway. Point: too many what if's. Though personally I wish we could add a good setup man.

I don't like the Tigers going into 2013 with a rookie as a closer. That stinks of disaster.

Who do they turn to if he flames out? Coke? Al Al? Oh my...

I don't either though I don't want a 7-8 mill guy either. Especially for more than a year. I'm so glad they didn't go at the Pittsburgh closer. His walk per 9 went up and over 5 last season.

I don't like the Tigers going into 2013 with a rookie as a closer. That stinks of disaster.

Who do they turn to if he flames out? Coke? Al Al? Oh my...

Most likely Octavio Dotel, who has experience as a closer. Or even Benoit, since Al Al, Marte, and Villarreal are all better suited for setup roles atm.

The back end of our bullpen is not in question, we don't need to sign/trade for a closer.

Though I think I'll give Rondon the benefit of the doubt through spring training, since there have been a few closers who came up as rookies and did pretty well. (Feliz, Kimbrel, Papelbon)

Last edited:
I think a rookie closer has a bit of an advantage starting out. Id rather us find a better SS or something

Tigers might resort to closer by committee, if Rondon experiences some troubles while closing out games during ST.

Anything is better than what Papa Grande gave us last year.

I would feel better having an experienced closer on the team. We have spent a ton making us a contender and why would we skimp now. The old man is all in thats clear. Go get a vet closer just so we have one if we need one.

veteran closers, and closers as a whole, are way overrated. if rondon stumbles, we have other options such as Dotel, who IS a veteran closer. no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on someone like soriano when we don't need him.

I almost wonder if we might give PooPoo Grande a cheapo 1yr deal if he continues to go without any other interest. If we could do that, why not?

because he sucks now and it would be an absolute waste of money.
I think he'd be alright if he'd just throw the splitter again. Not saying to bring him back as the closer, but he was decent before the playoff meltdowns. If he could be had on a cheap one year deal, it'd be worth looking at IMHO. There's no such thing as a terrible one year contract.

I think he'd be alright if he'd just throw the splitter again. Not saying to bring him back as the closer, but he was decent before the playoff meltdowns. If he could be had on a cheap one year deal, it'd be worth looking at IMHO. There's no such thing as a terrible one year contract.

He actually was bad in 2011 but just got incredibly lucky.

He sucked all of last year, even before the playoffs.

It would be a waste to sign him to a minor league contract.

veteran closers, and closers as a whole, are way overrated. if rondon stumbles, we have other options such as Dotel, who IS a veteran closer. no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on someone like soriano when we don't need him.

It amazes me that people actually care about having a "proven" closer.

Just have a good pitcher, if he's good, he'll be good in close situations as well.

Back