Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Are the Tigers a team in transition?

I would be fine moving anybody as long as the team is better in the long run.

I would be fine moving anybody as long as the team is better in the long run.

That's the thing you never know if the team will be better by getting rid of vets.. With the way JV turned it around this season I don't see a reason why he can't be dominate next year as well. Especially when you consider a couple high priced acquisitions had awful seasons, Zimm and Sanchez. We'll have both next season..

Just get a bat, not too expensive bat. And a RP or two..

That's the thing you never know if the team will be better by getting rid of vets.. With the way JV turned it around this season I don't see a reason why he can't be dominate next year as well. Especially when you consider a couple high priced acquisitions had awful seasons, Zimm and Sanchez. We'll have both next season..

Just get a bat, not too expensive bat. And a RP or two..

yes, we don't know if they will be better if they trade vets.

Just never know if Mr I will continue to want to spend at all costs to try and win one or how much longer he's willing to give it a go. nothing would surprise me. I have also had this nagging feeling Victor may just decide to retire, those knee's just get worse and worse every year. I don't think we can expect him to be 100% healthy longer than a couple months at a time anymore.

It's not as clear as it was a year ago, we thought they were going to blow the team up after this year, it was a last gasp with this core of players. Right now, it's not so clear cut. It's always delicate trying to still contend and keep fans interested while cutting payroll and planning for the future. The emergence of Fulmer/Boyd/Norris has changed things a bit, we could have 60% of our rotation locked up under team control for 6 years without being arbitration eligible for 2 more. That's a very good position to be in, we could be locked in with a very good rotation for a long time when you add in Verlander and Zimmerman. I'm not saying all 3 are guaranteed rotation spots but I'd be shocked if 2 weren't in the rotation on opening day.

There isn't one position that doesn't have someone returning for next year other than CF and we hold an option there, so the question becomes where to upgrade if you're looking to improve. Do you pick up the option on Maybin knowing this year may have been a fluke and that he's likely to be injured again? There is so much dead money tied up with Sanchez/Pelfrey/Lowe and they hardly warrant spots on the roster. Of course as a fan I like watching a team contend, but I also understand that wins now are much more expensive than wins later. I wouldn't be in favor of signing a big name FA in the offseason unless Illich just doesn't care. Ideally we'd have a few position players emerge from the minors to take spots which would allow us flexibility in the trade market. It will be interesting to see what direction they go in.

I just don't see JV, VMart, or Miggy being moved. Mr. I loves his stars, even when they are on the other side of peak. If they are going to swing a trade, I'd think it might be with Iggy, McCann, and/or a young arm or two to start with. For whatever reason, Iglesias seems to be in the dog house here. They brought in Aybar and tried trading for Lucroy. That should tell you at least a little about what they think about the two of them.

I don't think they are in transition. I think they will be the same team next year. Mediocre.

I just don't see JV, VMart, or Miggy being moved. Mr. I loves his stars, even when they are on the other side of peak. If they are going to swing a trade, I'd think it might be with Iggy, McCann, and/or a young arm or two to start with. For whatever reason, Iglesias seems to be in the dog house here. They brought in Aybar and tried trading for Lucroy. That should tell you at least a little about what they think about the two of them.

They all 3 had nice years. Maybe not their best years but "outside their peak" is a bit of stretch.

I don't think they are in transition. I think they will be the same team next year. Mediocre.

They were better than mediocre this season.. A little inconsistent but not mediocre. A better weekend and maybe they'd still be playing..

I think given a similar roster and better luck with injuries, they would have had a chance to win the division. When Castellanos got hurt they were 2 games out and surging, things went downhill after that, Maybin and Iglesias were hurt in the following week. When you're running out a lineup with 3 replacement players and two horrible starters, that's a forumla for disaster.

Of course this team needs a few tweaks, either through free agency or trade, but the trades that DD made in 2015 have reshaped this franchise.

Back