Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Braves 10-2-16 Game # 161

Couldn't bring myself to watch today. Until Brad and his staff are fired I'll be uninterested.

It really does. Now I understand why TigerMud is often bitter lol. The Red Wings and Pistons have clearly been the most successful professional franchises in Detroit the last 20-30 years here.

Damn straight

It really does. Now I understand why TigerMud is often bitter lol. The Red Wings and Pistons have clearly been the most successful professional franchises in Detroit the last 20-30 years here.

Right. The bad boys and the '04-'06 Piston teams were true Detroit teams too. I think even non-basketball fans would be impressed by the grit those teams played with. Last year, the Pistons put up a hell of a fight against the world champs. Nearly won every game of that series. This is a good time to be a Piston fan. Full of hope.. and they have a great leader/coach, so that helps.

Right. The bad boys and the '04-'06 Piston teams were true Detroit teams too. I think even non-basketball fans would be impressed by the grit those teams played with. Last year, the Pistons put up a hell of a fight against the world champs. Nearly won every game of that series. This is a good time to be a Piston fan. Full of hope.. and they have a great leader/coach, so that helps.

Not sure baseball is a grit sport.

Not sure baseball is a grit sport.

Depends on the players. It's all about attitude. None of this talking and laughing with the opponents that you see now a days. The Pistons were all about business and hospitality went out the window at the jump.

The Blue Jays just won, so we would have been eliminated anyway. Cleveland win andBoston loss means no Monday baseball, and no chance for an ERA title for Fulmer.

Justin Verlander: He was on fire, stranding the Braves with ferocity and allowing just one run through 7 innings. He also had one heck of an at-bat in the fifth, fighting off several fouls and put up a better fight than most of the offense had to that point.

Bruce Rondon: Had the Braves swinging wildly and didn’t allow a free pass in the eighth.

Tigers offense: With a runner on second on Jose Iglesias’ double in the seventh, the Tigers lined into an inning-ending double play. They also spoiled earlier chances against Julio Teheran and played the fools yet again.

STATS AND REACTIONS:
Justin Verlander’s strikeout of Dansby Swanson in the fifth inning was his 250th of the year. It marks his first 250+ strikeout season since 2011 when he won the Cy Young.

Miguel Cabrera got to a 10-game hitting streak with a two-out single to right in the sixth. Sneaky, too. Hadn’t realized he had a nine-gamer going until that moment.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1201579383/detatl-verlander-throws-seven-onerun-innings/?team_id=116
Webvideo Verlander's seven strong innings.
Justin Verlander throws seven 1-run innings while striking out 8 against the Braves in the last game at Turner Field.

http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/story/tigers-live-postgame-10-2-16-video-100216
Webvideo Tigers LIVE postgame 10.2.16. Webvideo Tigers LIVE postgame 10.2.16. Ausmus, McCann, Verlander, Miggy, Maybin, Kinsler, JD.
FoxDetroit

Last edited:
Being a Pistons fan, I still have hope. They are the biggest reason I was able to step aside from the Tigers. I haven't watched a full game since April, and I'm glad.. the Tigers are simply a waste of time.

I have returned somewhat involuntarily to following the Tigers peripherally since '14, when Ausmus was made manager. IMO, the Tigers jump-started too quickly becoming competitive, then contenders, after the humiliation and embarrassment of the '03 season through pricey FA, and never fully focusing on rebuilding their long gone to seed farm system. mostly due to Ilitch's age-related impatience to win a WS ASAP.

As a result, the teams' utility players, benches, and BPs were staffed mostly cheaply. b/c of the very high cost of their starters, rotos, setups, and closers.

So now we have a mid-market franchise, with an upper-market payroll, with a handful of aging stars, a handful of promising youngsters, a handful in their prime who are hot or cold, and the rest mostly scrubs.

Depends on the players. It's all about attitude. None of this talking and laughing with the opponents that you see now a days. The Pistons were all about business and hospitality went out the window at the jump.

Most teams do this.. it's different than the NBA. Where you can get in someone's face. And the offense happens every few seasons.

Brad and the staff aren't the problem

That is your opinion, but it isn't mine. Is the team poorly constructed? Yes. But even then, they have/had the ability to make the playoffs. Just about any other manager makes the playoffs with this team. A manager isn't necessarily going to win games for you, but he certainly can lose them. Brad Ausmus lost games with his decisions (or lack thereof).

That is your opinion, but it isn't mine. Is the team poorly constructed? Yes. But even then, they have/had the ability to make the playoffs. Just about any other manager makes the playoffs with this team. A manager isn't necessarily going to win games for you, but he certainly can lose them. Brad Ausmus lost games with his decisions (or lack thereof).

I respect your baseball knowledge and enjoy reading your posts but I have to disagree here, or at least make a point as to the degree that Ausmus impacted this team. If you had to make a list of reasons why this team didn't make the playoffs, I'd put managing about 10th. If you look at the fact that we had to put Pelfrey and Sanchez out there 2 out of 5 games, that we dealt with Upton being beyond horrible for all but 6 weeks, got nothing from the bottom of the lineup, lost JD for 6 weeks and had to start Mike Aviles, lost Castellanos and had to play Casey Mcghee, lost Zimmerman for most of the season, etc. You could make the argument that it was shocking that we were able to stay into the race until the last day of the seasons. I know people want someones head on a platter when their team doesn't do well and it's much easier to put it on the manager than the players.

I respect your baseball knowledge and enjoy reading your posts but I have to disagree here, or at least make a point as to the degree that Ausmus impacted this team. If you had to make a list of reasons why this team didn't make the playoffs, I'd put managing about 10th. If you look at the fact that we had to put Pelfrey and Sanchez out there 2 out of 5 games, that we dealt with Upton being beyond horrible for all but 6 weeks, got nothing from the bottom of the lineup, lost JD for 6 weeks and had to start Mike Aviles, lost Castellanos and had to play Casey Mcghee, lost Zimmerman for most of the season, etc. You could make the argument that it was shocking that we were able to stay into the race until the last day of the seasons. I know people want someones head on a platter when their team doesn't do well and it's much easier to put it on the manager than the players.

All the things you point to would happen regardless of manager. However, starting Aviles over Collins or Moya is still on Ausmus. He also probably had no choice in starting McCann against RHP, even though DET had a substantial losing record when this happened.

Since Ausmus has become manager, the Detroit Tigers lead all of baseball by a substantial amount in Blown Quality Starts. We have relievers that come to DET and then post their worst career ever. Coincidence? Personally, I don't think so.

Bottom line. While I think Ausmus is a horrible manager, he might have cost maybe 1-2 loses (wins) a year. But it still matters.

All the things you point to would happen regardless of manager. However, starting Aviles over Collins or Moya is still on Ausmus. He also probably had no choice in starting McCann against RHP, even though DET had a substantial losing record when this happened.

Since Ausmus has become manager, the Detroit Tigers lead all of baseball by a substantial amount in Blown Quality Starts. We have relievers that come to DET and then post their worst career ever. Coincidence? Personally, I don't think so.

Bottom line. While I think Ausmus is a horrible manager, he might have cost maybe 1-2 loses (wins) a year. But it still matters.

We actually outperformed our pythagorean W-L by two games, a lot of that is luck and evens out over time but that doesn't scream mismanagment. I do give him some credit for the decision to sit Upton for 3 games and that did get him going. The bullpen wasn't great but I put a decent amount of that on the starters, we were 28th and 21st in quality starts over the last two seasons. If starters don't go deep, the bullpen will struggle.

I just think the significance of Ausmus (or any manager) is way overblown, but it dominates sports conversation. This is becoming the norm for Tigers fans, talk about firing the manager after every season, it went on for years with Leyland, continuing with Ausmus. You can't fire the whole team, so you want to fire the manager.

So let's say Ausmus MIGHT have cost this team 1-2 games this year. Heck, I'll even give you 2. New manager comes in, costs the team one game on the year. You're bringing on a new manager for one game?

I don't think Ausmus is a good manager either and I won't shed a tear if he's fired, but he's at the bottom of a long list of problems.

Last edited:
If they fire Brad I bet legendary Lloyd becomes the next manager.

and then this board will be all up in arms about his minor role in the teams performance

Well the 2 or 3 losses that Brad was responsible for did in fact cause us to mis the playoffs. It's not just about in game decsions it's about line ups and putting guys in the best possible postion to win with his lineups. It's a valid debate in my opinion.

Fans get angry at managers. Just the way it goes.. I don't know if ours cost us games or not but we just had some SP that didn't get the job done and some middle RP that weren't very good.

The way Zimmerman started the year and then nothing, Sanchez. Just a little help from them and playoffs were possible. FRod, outside a blow up or two he have a very nice season but a couple guys pitched a bit too much when it mattered.. Greene, and J. Wilson.

Lots of great stuff this season though.. JV, Fullmer and Norris/Boyd show much promise. Maybin, I honestly though he was pos but he had a nice season. And then the usual: Miggy, Victor, JD, Kinsler and a surprise Nick C. They certainly exceeded my prediction. I was thinking maybe .500 at best. After 1-3 Lions start I can't wait until April..

Back