Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

K-Rod

The difference between an elite closer and an average closer, is only 1-2 saves (wins) per year.

Relief pitching should be the last piece to the puzzle and teams should not spend a lot of money on it. Look at teams like Tampa Bay. They pickup players like Farnsworth dirt cheap one year and Rodney the next, and they become All Stars or All Star-like.

Name one relief pitcher (not a closer), whose stats were pretty good for more than 3 consecutive years? There isn't many. Relief pitchers have such a low threshold for error. One bad outing can ruin a season. Yet, they are the same pitcher. Even Justin Verlander gets rocked. The difference is that Verlander has 200+ innings to make up for a bad outing. Most relievers have less than 50 innings.

Mike Adams? He's been good setup guy. I agree its not often but every now and then..

Most likely Octavio Dotel, who has experience as a closer. Or even Benoit, since Al Al, Marte, and Villarreal are all better suited for setup roles atm.

The back end of our bullpen is not in question, we don't need to sign/trade for a closer.

Though I think I'll give Rondon the benefit of the doubt through spring training, since there have been a few closers who came up as rookies and did pretty well. (Feliz, Kimbrel, Papelbon)

Didn't know we still had Dotel. Not too bad..

Benoit hates the fact of being a closer.

Believe me, i want to see this kid because i heard of the upside. But isn't he a wildman who relies on the strikeout and the strikeout only? And wasn't he suspended last year for something too? Just asking ...

There has been a little talk of a sign and trade for Soriano, if the yankees were to do that, sign him to a contract and then trade him to the Tigers or dodgers who also could use a proven closer. It gets the losing of first round draft pick out of the way.
Edit; scratch that thought per mlbtraderumors
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/teams-could-seek-loopholes-for-compensation-free-agents.html
WEDNESDAY: MLBTR's Tim Dierkes says (on Twitter) teams would not be permitted to make sign-and-trade deals to avoid the draft pick compensation rules. MLB would view it as collusion.

Rondon has lots of upside, closing in the minors gives experience, but it's against a lower overall level of talent, obviously. Doing well in winter ball, after iirc a bad outing or two.
Seems from recent stories that the attitude towards opponents, team mates, or coaches has stopped.

Last edited:
So if Rondon flames out, al al gets hurt again, dotel finally realizes he is 40, benoit continues to struggle with the long ball, what do you rely on at that point?

If this all happens, Krod will not save us.

Were this not a three-year old thread, it could be considered prescient.

K-Rod 11:1 sv to blsv ratio. Still one of the best closers in baseball.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He's been a lot better lately, but his ERA is still up near 4 (FIP is a decent bit over 4) and his K/9 is 4 lower than his career #s and 3 lower than any other season. I know that getting the save is about all that matters for a closer, but Todd Jones and The Potato were also good enough at doing that while being pretty terrible in every other respect.

Saves are so easy to get so an 11:1 ratio is not that impressive. His performance in situations with men in scoring position is encouraging, though, even though he created those circumstances most likely.

He's pitched better, much better, than early in the season. I don't really like the save stat, especially if you give up runs, but it certainly beats a blown save.

He's pitched better, much better, than early in the season. I don't really like the save stat, especially if you give up runs, but it certainly beats a blown save.
Agreed. I wonder if he was maybe still dealing with fatigue/weakness/pain symptoms from Zika early on.

8 of his 17 saves are with 3 or more run lead. 2 of his saves were of the 4-run variety.

It is obviously a greater chance to have a save with more runs to deal with. I am not discounting his effectiveness. It is just that the difference between an above average close and an average closer over the course of a season, given the same lead, is merely 1-2 wins. That is all. There are guys like Jason Grilli that can come out of nowhere and become effective closers for that same reason.

8 of his 17 saves are with 3 or more run lead. 2 of his saves were of the 4-run variety.

It is obviously a greater chance to have a save with more runs to deal with. I am not discounting his effectiveness. It is just that the difference between an above average close and an average closer over the course of a season, given the same lead, is merely 1-2 wins. That is all. There are guys like Jason Grilli that can come out of nowhere and become effective closers for that same reason.

Brad Ausmus looks like he is willing to use K-Rod in high leverage situations as well. (See his 4 out save against the Whitesox)

Brad Ausmus looks like he is willing to use K-Rod in high leverage situations as well. (See his 4 out save against the Whitesox)

I should hope so, since K-Rod is the dam closer on the team, and his job is to put out fires. But his high-leverage innings total 6.1 out of 22 on the season and he's been highly effective in them.

Back