Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RIP Keith Jackson

I am 61 and his voiceis always part of my game watching memories

There's nobody out there that can fill his shoes. He was THE GUY. If it's important and it's football, it has to be said in his voice.

Same sentiment for me as many ...iconic voice and part of creating the passion in me for college football and sports. Some of the things I will never forget about him, moreso than "Whoa, Nellie!" or the Desmond PR TD are --

* His calling the USC/UCLA game every year and associating him with the Rose Bowl
* The entire 1997 National Championship season where he and Bob Griese called, it seemed, every Michigan game including the Rose Bowl with Brian winning the title ..
* Steve Breaston's debut in what would become called the "Wildcat" and Jackson's description of him, "...whooooa, he's just a baby!" referring to the Freshman speedster..

* The way he pronounced players' hometowns and especially places like "Rancho Cucamunga"

* A game from probably '83-84 while a 10-11yr old living in Evanston, IL and having the ABC TV coverage panning over Michigan Stadium and hearing him say welcome to "Ann Arbor, Michigan" and [ME!] wondering why the town was named Ann Arbor ....

Last edited:
He was wondering or did he answer the question?

It was named after one of the two explorer/colonizer/founder's wife Ann.

The original name was Ann's Arbor.

Whoa Nellie!

He had a good long life.

Actually there were two Ann's:

Ann Arbor was founded in 1824 by land speculators John Allen and Elisha Walker Rumsey. On May 25, 1824, the town plat was registered with Wayne County as "Annarbour;" this represents the earliest known use of the town's name.[10] Allen and Rumsey decided to name it for their wives, both named Ann, and for the stands of Bur Oak in the 640 acres (260 ha) of land they purchased for $800 from the federal government at $1.25 per acre.​

also:
The local Ojibwa named the settlement kaw-goosh-kaw-nick, after the sound of Allen's sawmill​
Ann Arbor is a unique and good name, but Kaw-goosh-kaw-nick would've been pretty sweet too.

At the beginning of a broadcast, you could close your eyes and know exactly what the weather was like, what colors the teams were wearing, and what the stadium looked like. He was so descriptive and eloquent in his monologues, that you could feel and smell College Football on Saturday. You didn't have to be there. He made you feel as if you were. He was the best.

Actually there were two Ann's:

Ann Arbor was founded in 1824 by land speculators John Allen and Elisha Walker Rumsey. On May 25, 1824, the town plat was registered with Wayne County as "Annarbour;" this represents the earliest known use of the town's name.[10] Allen and Rumsey decided to name it for their wives, both named Ann, and for the stands of Bur Oak in the 640 acres (260 ha) of land they purchased for $800 from the federal government at $1.25 per acre.​

also:
The local Ojibwa named the settlement kaw-goosh-kaw-nick, after the sound of Allen's sawmill​
Ann Arbor is a unique and good name, but Kaw-goosh-kaw-nick would've been pretty sweet too.

Fairly well researched.

But completely wrong.

Rumsey's wife's name was Mary.

Allen's wife was Ann.

Plus he owned three quarters of the town at the time of the founding.

I just cut and pasted it from Wikipedia.

Don't feel too bad.

The historians who didn't realize that "Ann" was Rumsey's wife's middle name got it wrong too.

EDIT:

Here's a little known historical anecdote - Rumsey's wife Mary Ann and Allen's wife Ann were two hot chicks that hung out together.

But people rarely called Ann by her name.

She was a fair skinned, freckled faced red head, and she usually went by her nickname, Ginger.

Last edited:
Back