Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ausmus Out?

This is a mess. They mis-handled DD's firing, are mis-handling Ausmus's job situation, and there seem to be moles within the inner circle who are feeding info to the media without Avila or Mr. I knowing it. They better get their shit together soon or this could get a lot worse.

remind me how they mis handled the DD firing. It came and went and I thought nothing of it.

I don't understand. This organization was always so well run in the past decade. Why did they suddenly turn into Keystone Cops?

remind me how they mis handled the DD firing. It came and went and I thought nothing of it.

Did you miss the part where they shit canned him during team warm ups and didn't even have anyone there to hold the presser other than the guy who got handed the job? That wasn't exactly textbook, especially for someone as long serving as DD was. Not saying the outcome was wrong, but the execution was pretty poorly handled and screamed impulse move from a frustrated owner who wasn't on the same page as the guy he had given all the power and open checkbook to.

Did you miss the part where they shit canned him during team warm ups and didn't even have anyone there to hold the presser other than the guy who got handed the job? That wasn't exactly textbook, especially for someone as long serving as DD was. Not saying the outcome was wrong, but the execution was pretty poorly handled and screamed impulse move from a frustrated owner who wasn't on the same page as the guy he had given all the power and open checkbook to.

yes, I did miss that part. No big deal IMO.

As much as DD fucked this team up, I still think that most of the bad financial decisions came down from ownership. Mr I is too desperate to win.

The more season has unfolded from players not performing to their expectations, the injuries to many key players, the coaching staff that can't manage, or coach players to lay off pitchers' pitches, the poor baserunning with runners coming home on grounders right at an infielder, caught stealings/picked off bases, mental errors, the handing of Avila Sr. the GM's job and then DD not knowing for a few days, which screams moles as someone else said, on their own or told to do it by upper management, everything rolls downhill from Ilitch and/or his son. The Tigers just might be better off with someone else owning them, as this season has turned into a complete soap opera. For months, players have tuned ausmus out.
This team needs a manager 'like' Leyland, who won't take any shit from anyone. Yes even our all world 1B man Miggy. A manager who will not stand for any type of shit, but a manager who knows how to manage....a veteran manager who has respect from other teams coaches and managers. I personally do not want Gardenhire. Maybe Bud Black.

The more season has unfolded from players not performing to their expectations, the injuries to many key players, the coaching staff that can't manage, or coach players to lay off pitchers' pitches, the poor baserunning with runners coming home on grounders right at an infielder, caught stealings/picked off bases, mental errors, the handing of Avila Sr. the GM's job and then DD not knowing for a few days, which screams moles as someone else said, on their own or told to do it by upper management, everything rolls downhill from Ilitch and/or his son. The Tigers just might be better off with someone else owning them, as this season has turned into a complete soap opera. For months, players have tuned ausmus out.
This team needs a manager 'like' Leyland, who won't take any shit from anyone. Yes even our all world 1B man Miggy. A manager who will not stand for any type of shit, but a manager who knows how to manage....a veteran manager who has respect from other teams coaches and managers. I personally do not want Gardenhire. Maybe Bud Black.

Gardy is probably as close to Leyland as you'll get. I didn't like Jimmy toward the end of his tenure. I thought he became too hesitant, which is exactly what Brad is, except Brad makes ridiculous excuses. That's something Leyland never really did. I'd be fine with Gardenhire, as long as he still has the fire to manage. Which veteran managers are out there? I'd also be okay with Bud Black. As long as we can get someone who knows how to control the players and can get them to play. Ausmus has shown this year exactly how important a good manager is. His players quit on him, and I don't blame them. You can't trust Ausmus to make the right decisions in a close game.

Last edited:
I don't really see how the DD thing was mishandled.

Mr. I was clearly unhappy with how DD handled the trade deadline (though I think he did the right thing by selling) and released DD from his contract. Now please note there were serious rumors that DD was looking to go elsewhere after the season anyways, and even a few rumors he was already in talks with Boston for that job.

In any event he got fired/released/let go or however you want to define it, fired people don't get fanfare or a loving goodbye.

Post Season

Leyland 44-40 .524 (25-23 .521 with DET)

GardenForHire 6-21 .222

I suppose Charlie Manual is too old. Black? I don't know, maybe. What about Ron Washington? I always liked him.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The DD firing was mishandled because it apparently happened on Saturday, but the team waited until Monday when he and his kid were at the ballpark and were told on the spot. The way it was handled was incredibly unprofessional.

Apparently DD didn't have to inform MI when making a trade. If that's the case, that's on MI. In any case why didn't MI saying something after Price was traded.. a day before the other two were traded? In any event, MI just needs to stay out of it.

The DD firing was mishandled because it apparently happened on Saturday, but the team waited until Monday when he and his kid were at the ballpark and were told on the spot. The way it was handled was incredibly unprofessional.

A person is not fired until they are informed. Avila was offered the job before DD was informed and even in the corporate world that is common place. It's a business, get over it.

Just like with Ausmus, he has not been fired, though it's 99% certain the decision has already been made about his job.

Nothing wrong, unethical, meanspirited about it.

Nah, that's weak. The guy has been nothing but great for this organization for a decade, then he's fired a month before the season is out, in an awkward spot with his kid at the ballpark. It was a total mess.

In the last year, what has this organization shown you that they handle things in a classy, professional way? It's been a dumpster fire with mismanagement of players and coaches. They way they let go of DD was crap, whether or not he was about to get tossed, he deserved MUCH better. This isn't some 1 year free agent that they needed to get rid of. He ran this team for the entire reign of success they had.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/8/7/9108639/mike-ilitch-detroit-tigers-analysis

"The Detroit Tigers look like an absolute mess right now after the way they handled the days before the trade deadline and the firing of president and general manager Dave Dombrowski. The Tigers -- more specifically, the Ilitch family who owns them -- have done a wonderful job of leaving fans wondering: Who's in charge here, and do they have a clue what they're doing?"

Last edited:
Nah, that's weak. The guy has been nothing but great for this organization for a decade, then he's fired a month before the season is out, in an awkward spot with his kid at the ballpark. It was a total mess.

In the last year, what has this organization shown you that they handle things in a classy, professional way? It's been a dumpster fire with mismanagement of players and coaches. They way they let go of DD was crap, whether or not he was about to get tossed, he deserved MUCH better. This isn't some 1 year free agent that they needed to get rid of. He ran this team for the entire reign of success they had.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/8/7/9108639/mike-ilitch-detroit-tigers-analysis

"The Detroit Tigers look like an absolute mess right now after the way they handled the days before the trade deadline and the firing of president and general manager Dave Dombrowski. The Tigers -- more specifically, the Ilitch family who owns them -- have done a wonderful job of leaving fans wondering: Who's in charge here, and do they have a clue what they're doing?"

I agree with Thumb. As far as what he has done for the franchise...he has done some good things but look at where it is now. Terrible farm system and the worst team in the AL. That said....a lot of the blame has to be placed on Mr I as well....his desperation for a WS title is the main reason for the state of this franchise.

DD is a big boy and his firing has led him to a better job. I'm sure he is fine with it!

2 million a year... I could care less how he was let go. I bet he still eats more seafood then I do.... plus he landed a gig closer to the cockroach of the seas. ... Teams a miss right now and DD gets some of that blame...

Last edited:
Nah, that's weak. The guy has been nothing but great for this organization for a decade"

I disagree.

He robbed Peter to pay Paul, to use a cliche. He went and spent Mr. I's money (with Mr. I's blessing) and traded away everything from our farm system in order to try to win a WS in a relatively narrow window. It was an all or nothing move and it didn't work.

Now granted a byproduct of that was that we won the division 4 times, made 2 WS and made us relevant again. All that is good, but the negative of that is we now have a high payroll dominated by aging stars and the farm system is an empty cupboard.

If you can do what DD did and win a WS and get out it doesn't seem so bad, unfortunately for us (not him he's got his dream job now) we have the aftermath to deal with for at least the next couple of seasons.

Lets all please stop talking about Dombrowski as if he was the messiah of baseball in Detroit because he wasn't.

I disagree.

He robbed Peter to pay Paul, to use a cliche. He went and spent Mr. I's money (with Mr. I's blessing) and traded away everything from our farm system in order to try to win a WS in a relatively narrow window. It was an all or nothing move and it didn't work.

Now granted a byproduct of that was that we won the division 4 times, made 2 WS and made us relevant again. All that is good, but the negative of that is we now have a high payroll dominated by aging stars and the farm system is an empty cupboard.

If you can do what DD did and win a WS and get out it doesn't seem so bad, unfortunately for us (not him he's got his dream job now) we have the aftermath to deal with for at least the next couple of seasons.

Lets all please stop talking about Dombrowski as if he was the messiah of baseball in Detroit because he wasn't.

This right here. I don't find anything DD as great. For every good trade, he made an equally bad (Jacques Jones, Jarrod Washburn, etc, etc). What separates him from Randy Smith is he was able to spend money. No real talent to do that.

This conversation is more about the handling of the firing, not what he did. DD did plenty of good and bad, but you can't deny he made them pretty solid.

The firing itself was bad. It was in bad taste. Invite the guy to your office and talk to him about it. Don't have him be told on the field with his kid by his side.

Last edited:
Be a hard time finding a replacement now that the effort factor come to life. I can't remember when a player been sent home for lack of effort!

Back