Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. royals 9-18-15 Game 146

It was the right call, but it backfired.

The right call? JV dominates.. gives up 1 single(not even the tying run), and gets yanked for a member of the Tigers bullpen. How is that even close to being the right call? Every member of the audience at CoPa knew it was a bad call too.. I just read that JV was actually giving Ausmus a death stare. You don't take out the Ace version of JV for anybody. If he allowed the tying run on base.. then maybe.

So they just showed the Perez home run and jv's reaction and you can see him just see that goes out then just turns and looks over in brad's direction with a blank stare as if to say did you see that ya flippin dope

Last edited:
Tigers players and 99.9% of the fans can't wait for this shithook to leave town.

First and third,

Miggy time,

next time,

Last edited:
15th extra inning game played the the #Tigers this year...they are 6-8 so far.

Hope they end it here rain on the way

Almost..not quite

Last edited:
Well shit 3 balls that just didn't fall, get over or get through..

Smh assmusclown

Tigers get the win in 12, JV pitched well, Miggy broke out of it

Brad is still an assclown

Tigers with the improbable walkoff from Dixon Machado, Tigers win 5 - 4,

Verlander was great, Miggy 2 for 4 now .337

Feliz pitched 2 shutout innings 0 runs 0 hits

STREAKS AND STATS:

Miguel Cabrera's double in the first was his 34th of the season, tied with Ian Kinsler for the most on the team. He later took the lead with his second double in the 12th his 35th.
Miggy's walk in the third was also his 71st of the year, tied for fifth-most in the AL.

Cabrera's sac fly in the eighth was just his second of the season. Last year he had 11.

In his last 11 starts, Justin Verlander has a 2.13 ERA with just 19 earned runs allowed across 80 1/3 innings pitched.

The decision to lift Verlander with two outs in the ninth inning was made solely by manager Brad Ausmus, a decision he referred to as a "no brainer" on Friday night.

For 8 2/3 innings, Verlander dominated the Kansas City Royals, giving up just four base hits and one run. He entered the ninth inning with 100 pitches under his belt and retired his first two batters, needing only eight pitches to do so.

But Verlander's stellar start came to an abrupt end when he gave up a broken-bat single to Eric Hosmer with his 114th pitch. With Royals catcher Salvador Perez due up, Ausmus decided Verlander's night was over and called on reliever Alex Wilson.

The reason?

"(Verlander) was at 115 pitches, Perez has hit .450 off him over the course of 40 plate appearances and he's got nine extra-base hits," Ausmus said Friday. "The last three guys barreled the ball up on Verlander. I thought it was a no-brainer."

But the "no-brainer" move proved costly.

Perez deposited the second pitch he saw from Wilson into the Tigers' bullpen to tie the game at 3-all, and ultimately force extra innings. Wilson was eventually bailed out when rookie Dixon Machado hit a walk-off single in the 12th inning. But it was Ausmus' decision to lift Verlander that was the biggest talking point after the game.

"Obviously the fans wanted me to stay in. I wanted to stay in. But that's the manager's call," Verlander said. "Hindsight being 20-20, it didn't work out the way I'm sure Brad would've liked. It was probably the worst-case scenario. But I think you look at the big overall picture. Salvador's somebody that's had some success against me."

Did Ausmus consider bringing in any other relievers to face Perez? Perhaps left-handed reliever Blaine Hardy?

"Why, because of the reverse splits? That actually happened earlier in the year, where Wilson got the save, and I said at that time, and I'll say it again -- I understand the reverse splits, and if I had a lefty in there, I might leave him in there to face Perez," Ausmus said. "But I'm not bringing in a lefty to face Perez with the game on the line."

The decision to lift Verlander, who was just one out recording his second complete game this season, didn't sit well with the 32,926 fans in attendance at Comerica Park. Ausmus was showered with boos as he made his way back to the dugout.

"That's his decision. He's the manager," Verlander said. "Like I said, I always want the ball, so it's up to the manager to take me out. It was that way with (former manager Jim Leyland), and it's that way with Brad. If I've ever got the decision, I want to stay in. Those guys know that, and that's their decision to make."

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/09/detroit_tigers_manager_brad_au_21.html

Back