Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The wheels have officially come off..

Good riddance to both.

There is no shred of evidence that Rondon was ever going to be effective. He had "effort level" concerns in the minors in the past. He is a case head this team doesn't need. That said, him sitting out the rest of the year hardly benefits Rondon or the Tigers.

Ausmus is still Ausmus. This didn't just materialize over night. How do you not reduce his role first before it comes to this? He has never justified given the closer role without earning it.

bad seed,letting this guy loose in the dugout with that attitude is a cancer.

at least we still have Gibby in the booth,he cracks me up.

Last edited:
Rondon had similar issues in the Tigers minors. He has refused to look at hitter spray charts, and did not follow the Tigers request for him to 'air it out' and not drop velocity with his fastball, as well as mixing his pitches up.
Rondon gives the outward appearance of an out of shape bloat refusing to do what the team wants him to do. Attitude adjustment needed.

When does Ausmus get fired for "effort level."

Let the house cleaning begin, Ausmus won't bring in a lefty to face a rightly who is only hitting .209 off lefties as if there is some sorta baseball rule that says you can't ever do that or something. Then sticks in a line up full of mudhens for game 1 yesterday against a good pitcher no effort level what so ever to even try to not finish last.

got that right, "effort level" pretty piss poor on brad's part also.

Last edited:
Heck with the wheels. The motor;s been dead for some time. I've said there been a problem with this team. Guess there no doubt now. Fixing this could be the mother of all fixes now.

Heck with the wheels. The motor;s been dead for some time. I've said there been a problem with this team. Guess there no doubt now. Fixing this could be the mother of all fixes now.

You can coast to the finish line with no engine, lose the wheels and you're in for one bumpy ride.

My analogy game is on point imo. >:D

Rondon gives the outward appearance of an out of shape bloat refusing to do what the team wants him to do. Attitude adjustment needed.
Agreed 100%. I have thought a few times during the season that he was dogging it or just doing whatever he wanted to do. This move pretty much confirms that suspicion.

This team is a mess. I think Ausmus needs to go, that we need to bring in a veteran manager with some nuts and a track record of success, and that we'd benefit from having another good veteran presence in the clubhouse. I think Torii and Joba helped on that front in the past, and their absence is visible. Not saying I wanted us to keep either, just that they helped as veteran leaders.

most of the posters on this board hated Leyland but at least he was well respected in the clubhouse.

most of the posters on this board hated Leyland but at least he was well respected in the clubhouse.

I'm not in that group. I liked Leyland a lot. He definitely had some annoying tendencies like the sorry Sunday lineups, plug and play substitutions, and loyalty to certain dud players, but overall he was good here and kept the players loose.

I am and have always been of the opinion that a managers effect on the season is minimal when compared to that of players.

Leyland's ability to keep the clubhouse in order trumped any decisions he made with the pitching staff or batting order. Ausmus doesn't seem as good in the clubhouse and hasn't been an improvement strategy wise. I rarely criticize managers but Ausmus has been damn awful.

I am and have always been of the opinion that a managers effect on the season is minimal when compared to that of players.

Leyland's ability to keep the clubhouse in order trumped any decisions he made with the pitching staff or batting order. Ausmus doesn't seem as good in the clubhouse and hasn't been an improvement strategy wise. I rarely criticize managers but Ausmus has been damn awful.
While I tend to agree, I can think of about ten times that Ausmus's bad decisions have resulted in losses for us. He's gotta have a terrible WAR as a manager if such a stat exists. If not, there's a stats project for Rebbiv. :)

my opinion is that a manager has very little influence on the individual games. His biggest job is managing egos and the atmosphere in the clubhouse. Those are the things that fans have no idea what is going on...until after the fact. My guess is Leyland was very good at those things...I am starting to think that Brad is not.

While I tend to agree, I can think of about ten times that Ausmus's bad decisions have resulted in losses for us. He's gotta have a terrible WAR as a manager if such a stat exists. If not, there's a stats project for Rebbiv. :)

Yeah, I'm in no way defending Ausmus. The fact that I think he has had a significant impact on this season goes to show how awful I think he's been. Can anyone name a single positive thing he's brought to this team that Leyland didn't?

Yeah, I'm in no way defending Ausmus. The fact that I think he has had a significant impact on this season goes to show how awful I think he's been. Can anyone name a single positive thing he's brought to this team that Leyland didn't?

he doesn't chew with his mouth open

I think this is a wholly incorrect statement. (bold part)

I think most of the posters from that time frame, either respected Leyland or were at least indifferent. Everyone bitched, called moved dumb, or complained about his post game interviews, but I don't see that as the same as hate. The issue was the haters that were the loudmouths that just rambled on "FIRE LEYLAND" just for the sake of saying it, many of whom (I could name named but that would be petty) could not even give a good reason as to why he should have been fired.

Leyland just seemed to be one of those guys that some people don't like for some reason. But the fact remains his clubhouses were probably the most loyal in baseball. Remember the allegations that Miggy and Avi Garcia got in a tussle over Miggy confronting him about the alleged affair with Fielder wife? That story never leaked until months later. That is a pretty tight ship when you consider the clubhouse is 25 player a dozen or so coaches, plus training staff etc. Leyland let people know what he though about a loose lipped clubhouse, and Inge and Grilli learned the hard way.

I think this is a wholly incorrect statement. (bold part)

I think most of the posters from that time frame, either respected Leyland or were at least indifferent. Everyone bitched, called moved dumb, or complained about his post game interviews, but I don't see that as the same as hate. The issue was the haters that were the loudmouths that just rambled on "FIRE LEYLAND" just for the sake of saying it, many of whom (I could name named but that would be petty) could not even give a good reason as to why he should have been fired.

Leyland just seemed to be one of those guys that some people don't like for some reason. But the fact remains his clubhouses were probably the most loyal in baseball. Remember the allegations that Miggy and Avi Garcia got in a tussle over Miggy confronting him about the alleged affair with Fielder wife? That story never leaked until months later. That is a pretty tight ship when you consider the clubhouse is 25 player a dozen or so coaches, plus training staff etc. Leyland let people know what he though about a loose lipped clubhouse, and Inge and Grilli learned the hard way.

You are probably right. It just seemed like everyone hated him because of all of the bitching. I thought he did a good job and I certainly felt like I was in the minority.

Back