Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ausmus to be back next year.

No, I'm not. You seem to be the only person I ever see saying McCann isn't worthy of a starting job.

I am not the only person.

2012-2014 vs RHP = .268 BAVG .306 OBP .372 SLG .678 OPS 26.0 PA/BB .325 BABIP

2015 vs RHP = .249 BAVG .280 OBP .338 SLG .618 OPS 30.9 PA/BB .310 BABIP

2012-2014 vs LHP = .277 BAVG .345 OBP .408 SLG .753 OPS 11.8 PA/BB .311 BABIP

2015 vs LHP = .323 BAVG .364 OBP .559 SLG .923 OPS 16.8 PA/BB .382 BABIP

I am not going to try and explain the importance of BABIP and about walk rates. BLUF..McCann's 2015 hitting against LHP is unsustainable and might very well be a fluke. His 2015 hitting very well could be his career best.

As far as throwing out runners, he threw out 13 of the first 26 (50.0%). Since then, he has been just above league average at 14 of the last 42 (33.3). He was tested by other teams early on to see what he was made of. But throwing out runners is a very small part of a catcher's defense. He needs work on game calling and pitch framing. At 25, he should be entering his prime, not still learning.

As far as Avila, that ship has sailed. While I back Avila, too many fans have crapped on him. He needs a change of scenery. And yes, he has had too many concussions. That still doesn't mean he isn't a better choice over McCann if you want to win games.

I like McCann's rookie season to Brandon Inge's. I even heard within the last couple of days....he only hits 8th or 9th, so his offense isn't as important. These are the exact same arguments Inge apologists used.

This team is not going to win with Gose in CF, Castellanos at 3B and McCann as your starting C. You might be able to have one. Maybe two. But not all three. Add in a questionable Iglesias and then you cannot afford to have slumps from anyone named Cabrera, VMart, J.D. or Kinsler. None. Especially against RHP.

I'd take A.J. Pierzynski at 40 over McCann. And of course Avila. Regardless, the pitching was bad this year, the BP is always bad - but all made worse because of McCann. Sanchez, how do you go from 4 HR in 120 some innings to 29 in 150?
If you think Sanchez's issues were because of McCann, you are crazy. He's had shoulder problems on and off for much of his career. If you recall, he got a cortisone shot in early 2014 for inflammation and hasn't really been the same since. His fastball velocity was down 1mph or more this year, which impacted the movement on his pitches and his speed differential, and his control hasn't been great. When he's missed, he's missed bad up high and he got a lot more hittable as a result.

This article from May talks about a lot of these things, which are rooted in bad mechanics. I'm convinced the bad mechanics were caused by his shoulder issues.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/5/20/8628959/anibal-sanchez-home-runs-tigers-analysis

I don't know if this got much press, but the Tigers shut Anibal down for the year and he just got an injection of platelets in his shoulder. They are saying that there is no major damage, but I'm not going to be surprised if that changes over the winter.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...troit-tigers-ruled-rest-season-shoulder-issue

If you think Sanchez's issues were because of McCann, you are crazy. He's had shoulder problems on and off for much of his career. If you recall, he got a cortisone shot in early 2014 for inflammation and hasn't really been the same since. His fastball velocity was down 1mph or more this year, which impacted the movement on his pitches and his speed differential, and his control hasn't been great. When he's missed, he's missed bad up high and he got a lot more hittable as a result.

This article from May talks about a lot of these things, which are rooted in bad mechanics. I'm convinced the bad mechanics were caused by his shoulder issues.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/5/20/8628959/anibal-sanchez-home-runs-tigers-analysis

I don't know if this got much press, but the Tigers shut Anibal down for the year and he just got an injection of platelets in his shoulder. They are saying that there is no major damage, but I'm not going to be surprised if that changes over the winter.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...troit-tigers-ruled-rest-season-shoulder-issue

Just take a look how many HR he gave up with each C. ERA, everything and not just with Sanchez.

Call me crazy.

Sanchez career HR rate = .81 HR/G

2015 with Avila = .86 HR/G (.54 HR/G career)

2015 with McCann = 1.72 HR/G (1.72 HR/G career)

2015 with Holaday = 2.87 HR/G (1.49 HR/G career)

As a team

2015 with Avila = 1.03 HR/G

2015 with McCann = 1.26 HR/G

2015 with Holaday = 1.41 HR/G

Pitchers with at least 7 HRs given up

Simon career = 1.14 HR/G

2015 with Avila/Holaday = .40 HR/G

2015 with McCann = 1.32 HR/G

Price Career = .81 HR/G

2015 with Avila = .38 HR/G (.49 HR/G career)

2015 with McCann = 1.01 HR/G (1.01 HR/G career)

Greene Career = 1.16 HR/G

2015 with Avila/Holaday = .74 HR/G

2015 with McCann = 1.90 HR/G

Lobstein Career = .91 HR/G

2015 with Avila = .68 HR/G

2015 with McCann = 1.24 HR/G

Verlander Career = .80 HR/G

2015 with Avila = .68 HR/G (.73 HR/G career)

2015 with McCann = .76 HR/G (.71 HR/G career)

2015 with Holaday = 4.05 HR/G (1.00 HR/G career)

Soria Career = .72 HR/G

2015 with Avila = .93 HR/G (.53 HR/G career)

2015 with McCann = 1.69 HR/G (1.69 HR/G career)

2015 with Holaday = 3.86 HR/G (4.32 HR/G career)

Aside from Verlander, every one of these starters or closer had their HR rate doubled or almost doubled with McCann as the catcher. It isn't every other one. It isn't just Sanchez. It is almost all the DET pitchers are affected by who catches them. Regardless, not one of the pitchers above had a lower HR rate with any DET catcher other than Avila given sample size.

I posted similar stuff back in August (http://detroitsportsforum.com/showpost.php?p=595386&postcount=51 or http://detroitsportsforum.com/showpost.php?p=595398&postcount=53) and the results are still the same and they haven't changed much since. McCann is either not calling a good game or he is setting up in such a way that the hitter can see location. Either way, at the MLB level, this is not something you want your catcher working on.

You might explain some on Sanchez' shoulder, but not all. How much of our pitching woes are due McCann becoming the primary catcher? We really didn't start losing until Avila went on the disabled list in early May. Coincidence? Maybe. Let's just say I have no faith in McCann or Holaday when they are starting.

Last edited:
I'm in no way disregarding the catcher data posted, but it is worth noting that Verlander, Sanchez, Lobstein, Greene, and Soria all have had shoulder issues in 2015. That may be coincidence or it might point to something else to be concerned about.

I'm in no way disregarding the catcher data posted, but it is worth noting that Verlander, Sanchez, Lobstein, Greene, and Soria all have had shoulder issues in 2015. That may be coincidence or it might point to something else to be concerned about.

So the shoulder problem only arises when McCann is the catcher?

Honestly though, I think it is something worth keeping an eye on. It may point to an issue with strength and conditioning, usage, pitch selection, the mound, or ???

I may have missed this somewhere. But today 12-6-2015, MLB said Brad "ASKED" to come back.
The question now is, who's running the asylum?

Back