Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. rangers 9-28-15 Game 156

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
TIGERS (career numbers against Colby Lewis)

Anthony Gose, CF (1-for-3, K)
Tyler Collins, LF (0-for-3)
Miguel Cabrera, 1B (9-for-26, 5 doubles, 3 walks, 2 K?s)
Victor Martinez, DH (10-for-21, 3 doubles, HR, 2 walks)
J.D. Martinez, RF (3-for-6, double, HR)
Nick Castellanos, 3B (1-for-7, 2 walks)
James McCann, C
Andrew Romine, 2B (2-for-6, K)
Dixon Machado, SS
P: Justin Verlander

Texas Rangers
1. Delino DeShields, CF
2. Shin-Soo Choo, RF
3. Prince Fielder, DH
4. Adrian Beltre, 3B
5. Mitch Moreland, 1B
6. Josh Hamilton, LF
7. Elvis Andrus, SS
8. Rougned Odor, 2B
9. Chris Gimenez, C
RHP Colby Lewis, P

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/09/detroit_tigers_gameday_justin_68.html#incart_river
Detroit Tigers Gameday: Justin Verlander boasts good numbers lifetime vs. Texas Rangers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/previews/2015/TEX201509280.shtml
Texas Rangers vs. Detroit Tigers, at Globe Life Park in Arlington, September 28, 2015 Matchups.

Avila vs Lewis .300 bavg .417 obp .650 slug 1.067 OPS with 2 HRs

Does it really matter what Avila has done against Lewis? It's clear that we are moving on, no sense taking away at bats from McCann. IMO

Does it really matter what Avila has done against Lewis? It's clear that we are moving on, no sense taking away at bats from McCann. IMO

McCann sucks. Out of the league in 2 years.. Or less..

At worst he's a platoon vs LHP

Based on one year? Just think back when you saw Avila after 1 year.. and where he was 2 years later. But the worst part is his pitch calling.. It's been said before, generally C should be able to learn that part before 25.

Miggy 1-3 so far tonight
Bogarts 2-4 today

Miggy .337
Bogarts .325

JD with RBI #99
Victor had to leave the game with another appernet knee tweek, man I really hope that heals up well this off season

Last edited:

Does it bother you that I brought it up?

It is clear that DET was playing for the top 10 protected pick. There is no reason to start McCann over Avila if you are trying to win the game. Yes, they won the game in the end, but Avila gives them a better chance to win.

McCann is being hyped into something he isn't and Avila is being crapped on by too many.

Last edited:
Does it bother you that I brought it up?

It is clear that DET was playing for the top 10 protected pick. There is no reason to start McCann over Avila if you are trying to win the game. Yes, they won the game in the end, but Avila gives them a better chance to win.

McCann is being hyped into something he isn't and Avila is being crapped on by too many.

I would rather they play McCann every single game to further their evaluation of him vs. playing Avila in meaningless games.

I would rather they play McCann every single game to further their evaluation of him vs. playing Avila in meaningless games.

Then we need to start Moya, Collins and Gose in the OF. Marte and Machado as well, regardless if Iggy is healthy. Just so we can further evaluate what we have.

Then we need to start Moya, Collins and Gose in the OF. Marte and Machado as well, regardless if Iggy is healthy. Just so we can further evaluate what we have.

I would be fine with that. However, I think C is the one position that is most "up in the air" for next season. Not many options out there compared to other positions. You can find players to fill OF positions easier than C and the middle IF is set for next year.

I would be fine with that. However, I think C is the one position that is most "up in the air" for next season. Not many options out there compared to other positions. You can find players to fill OF positions easier than C and the middle IF is set for next year.

You play them to showcase them or find what you have.

And I will state it will be easier to fill the catcher position than a corner OF or corner IF slot.

You play them to showcase them or find what you have.

And I will state it will be easier to fill the catcher position than a corner OF or corner IF slot.

slim pickens in the catcher market. Corner IF...none of the young guys plays corner IF. Corner OF...should be plenty of them out there compared to C

slim pickens in the catcher market. Corner IF...none of the young guys plays corner IF. Corner OF...should be plenty of them out there compared to C

Marte plays 3B and 1B

Machado can play 3B

Catcher market = Wieters, Avila and Jaso. None of whom will get more than $10 Mil a year and are better than McCann.

LF market = Jaso (if not as a C) and probably Joyce who would be better than what we have (Collins and Moya) and not cost an arm and a leg. Others, like Cespedes or Alex Gordon will want too much for this team.

That is just free agents. The fall off from a league average catcher isn't that great. The falloff from a league average corner OF is. There was plenty of trades last off season with low cost catchers.

Marte plays 3B and 1B

Machado can play 3B

Catcher market = Wieters, Avila and Jaso. None of whom will get more than $10 Mil a year and are better than McCann.

LF market = Jaso (if not as a C) and probably Joyce who would be better than what we have (Collins and Moya) and not cost an arm and a leg. Others, like Cespedes or Alex Gordon will want too much for this team.

That is just free agents. The fall off from a league average catcher isn't that great. The falloff from a league average corner OF is. There was plenty of trades last off season with low cost catchers.

according to what I saw there are 7 free agent catchers in 2016 (Jaso was not on that list) & 38 free agent corner OF. 11 of the 38 have some sort of options so all may not leave.

You probably don't want to hear this but Nick is going to be the 3B next year (unless something crazy happens) and the Tigers have already said Machado isn't going to move from SS

Back