Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

"I wish Verlander was a True Ace"

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]Who's winning in he Cy Young race? JV or Weaver?

Right now?

Verlander.

tonyballs said:
[color=#551A8B said:

Right now?

Verlander.

And if the vote were today....I don't think it would be very close. Its JV by a landslide right now. He is in the top 3 or 4 AL MVP candidates too.

Verlander's 19th win equals his career high, established in 2009.

By notching his 19th win in Detroit's 127th game, he's the fastest Tigers pitcher to win 19 since Mickey Lolich did it in the club's 114th game of the 1972 season.

He's won seven straight starts, tying his career-long winning streak, set earlier this year from May 29-June 30.

He's allowed one run or fewer in 12 of his 27 starts.

Verlander leads the AL in victories, strikeouts, winning percentage, innings pitched and opponents' batting average, and his ERA of 2.28 is second.

How rediculous has JV been this year. The streak of outings with at least 100 pitches is hard to wrap your mind around. I bet chica is just waiting for JV to have a subpar outing in the playoffs to announce that the measure of a "true ace" is playoff performance.

jdbaker1 said:
How rediculous has JV been this year. The streak of outings with at least 100 pitches is hard to wrap your mind around. I bet chica is just waiting for JV to have a subpar outing in the playoffs to announce that the measure of a "true ace" is playoff performance.

If that were the case he could take a look at the '06 playoffs and see as a ROOKIE he walked into Yankee Stadium....his team down 0-1 and written off by EVERYONE in the baseball world.....and pitched well enough to get a W.

He wasn't dominant by any means,5.1 inn. 3ER..4BB...5K, but his W in game 2 got the Tigers rolling.

One a side note, that game included my all time favorite '06 Tiger moment....Zumaya coming in and MOWING DOWN A-roid on nothing but fastballs!! It was just like the movie Major League only in real life.

tonyballs said:
#19 fpr JV.

I had the Rays feed and these guys couldn't believe what Verlander was doing. At one point, Verly threw a curve ball to Sam Fuld or Zobrist (i can't remember) and it was a called strike. The player never swung or anything. His knees kind of buckled. The announcers both started laughing and one of them said, "what are you supposed to do with that?" The other guy goes, "Nothing, you sit and watch it go by because you're not touching it" It was simply awesome. Verlander is a freak of nature.

I heard that too. It was great to heard the opposing team's announcers in awe of Justin. I think they muffled laughter was the best though.

thehippo73 said:
tonyballs said:
#19 fpr JV.

I had the Rays feed and these guys couldn't believe what Verlander was doing. At one point, Verly threw a curve ball to Sam Fuld or Zobrist (i can't remember) and it was a called strike. The player never swung or anything. His knees kind of buckled. The announcers both started laughing and one of them said, "what are you supposed to do with that?" The other guy goes, "Nothing, you sit and watch it go by because you're not touching it" It was simply awesome. Verlander is a freak of nature.

I heard that too. It was great to heard the opposing team's announcers in awe of Justin. I think they muffled laughter was the best though.

It was phenomenal. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face after the comments and the laughter.
grin.png

[color=#551A8B said:

JV is running away with the award right now.

boogerlovejoy said:
tonyballs said:
Right now?

Verlander.

And if the vote were today....I don't think it would be very close. Its JV by a landslide right now. He is in the top 3 or 4 AL MVP candidates too.

He would be the unanimous winner.

Except for maybe an LA writer or two who gives it to Weaver as a homer vote.

Poll on ESPN: who is the best baseball player this season? Jose Bautista, Adian Gonzalez, Roy Halladay, Justin Verlander, other. nearly 75,000 votes and 45% goes to JV next closest is AG at 20%...JV beating RH in the state of Pennsylvania ballot 38 to 33%

I still get a kick out of this thread

SLICK said:
tomdalton22 said:
Was Chica invited to this board?

michiganct is her

Should there be a 'un' between the 'ct'?

Kidding, kidding...

But yeah, JV is and has been an ace.

elrod said:
SLICK said:
michiganct is her

Should there be a 'un' between the 'ct'?

Kidding, kidding...

But yeah, JV is and has been an ace.

Yes, there should be.

And I'm not kidding. That guy acts like a whiney little 7 year old girl. He doesn't stand behind anything he says and argues points just for the attention.......so he is a "ct" with a "un" in between.

I'll be there for his 21st victory on Friday too. Can't wait until he walks out onto the mound. Comerica is going to erupt....

Back