Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cliff Lee anyone?

jdeb

No one has signed this guy yet. Supposedly his elbow is healthy. Do you think he is a low risk, high reward player at 37 years old? He was a real good pitcher before he was hurt. I always liked his pitching smarts when on the mound.

If we could sign him at a reasonable cost, he might be the difference at making the playoffs. Big if but his potential is intriguing to me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
from MLB trade rumors website

Free agent pitcher Cliff Lee would need a “perfect fit” in order to leave home and make a comeback, agent Darek Braunecker told MLB Network Radio (audio link). Braunecker also said that he isn’t certain whether Lee will do a full showcase workout for teams but whenever (or however) he does show his stuff, he’ll be 100% when that time comes.

Lee has drawn interest from at least half the league so far this season, according to Jon Heyman. The veteran was said to be seeking a one-year, major league deal, but now it appears that he’s at least considering sitting out the 2016 season entirely. If Lee does decide to pitch this year, the Marlins are one of the clubs known to have some level of interest.

Lee, 37, is looking to make his way back from a flexor tendon tear without surgery and while there’s no guarantee that he can get back to his old form, he offers unmatched upside among the free agent bounceback candidates. It’s far from clear, of course, whether teams are willing at present to commit big dollars to Lee. For what it’s worth, Heyman indicated earlier this offseason that Lee could command more than many would expect him to.

Though he only put up a 3.65 earned run average in his 81 1/3 innings in 2014, Lee carried a 6.00 K:BB rate and drew ratings from metrics that valued his effort in the 3.00 earned-per-nine range. Of course, Lee also showed much more prior to that season. He racked up over 220 frames per season over 2011 through 2013, working to a cumulative 2.80 ERA in that span while striking out a batter per inning and walking less than one-and-a-half per nine.

No one has signed this guy yet. Supposedly his elbow is healthy. Do you think he is a low risk, high reward player at 37 years old? He was a real good pitcher before he was hurt. I always liked his pitching smarts when on the mound.

If we could sign him at a reasonable cost, he might be the difference at making the playoffs. Big if but his potential is intriguing to me.

Just my opinion, but this team is a sub .500 without Lee and maybe a .500 team with him. All while having one of the highest payroll and pushing the luxury tax threshold. Not too sure it is worth it.

Might be best just to take your lumps and get some successful high draft picks for 2-3 years. Though M.I. might not want to go that route.

Late Edit: Also, with Miggy, you probably don't want to waste his years here. So they'll probably keep adding pieces.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but this team is a sub .500 without Lee and maybe a .500 team with him. All while having one of the highest payroll and pushing the luxury tax threshold. Not too sure it is worth it.
Tough division, just over .500 might win the division.

Late Edit: Also, with Miggy, you probably don't want to waste his years here. So they'll probably keep adding pieces.

There in lies the problem. Too much money in ONE player. For too long of time. And it's the time that is/will to a problem for some time. I said this a long time ago. Putting too much money in him, required/requires way too much money to other starters. Forcing the bench to be weak. The pitching staff way unbalanced. It forced the Tigers into a stars and hope for the best of the rest.
Team is way unbalanced around 84,525,000 for 7 pitchers, with 3 getting 62,000.000 of that. Come on something out of line. They got to stuff 5 more in there.
70,507,500 for 6 position players. With ARBI's to come. That's 155+ for only 13 players! That's only half the team the rest have to play for peanuts, popcorn and cold beer in hot sun. No wonder this team has no bench. The bench players have to fill out the bottom of the order. And Triple A players fill out the bench.

Just in Lettuce just picked up 900,000; 14 at 155,932,500 now.

And really they need a left fielder! That can HIT.

Cliff's Lee is best off walking away from the game at this point. Anyone who signs Lee will probably end up regretting it(a la Rangers signing Brandon Webb after he was washed up)

Cliff's Lee is best off walking away from the game at this point. Anyone who signs Lee will probably end up regretting it(a la Rangers signing Brandon Webb after he was washed up)
Maybe but comparing him to Webb is ridiculous. If he holds a workout and shines, he will go somewhere.

Back