Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young arrested in New York

What he did or did not say is in question.

But the problem is what he did or did not say is getting all the attention in this debacle, and the fact that he was highly intoxicated outside of his hotel at 2:30 am is being mostly overlooked.

If he said what is being claimed (there is still no official word on what he said specifically) I find it distasteful, but I don't find it a criminal act.

The fact that he was fall down drunk, outside on a public street, is however a criminal act.

Well, people get drunk. It happens in sports all the time and a racial slur is a big deal, whether anyone here thinks it is - its a big deal.

Well, people get drunk. It happens in sports all the time and a racial slur is a big deal, whether anyone here thinks it is - its a big deal.

Mitch...when I said I didn't give a shit about what he said....I wasn't inferring I approve of the behavior. In fact, I deplore all name calling (i.e. Cringe, MudHen, etc). And Racial Slurs are at the top of the list. But there is a degree of severity.

As a Tiger Fan, I am more concerned with the drinking aspect. While people do get drunk, it isn't just the fact he was drunk, it was the timing of when he was.

Ultimately, the justice system will decide the result of any "hate crime". The MLB suspense he served, was for the "hate crime". I doubt he gets 7 day suspense for the drinking alone (either by MLB or the Tigers).

And yes, I believe the alcohol part is being overlooked by fans and management alike. I am concerned this is a tip of an iceberg thing. Not everyone that is caught with DUI/DWI are caught their first time doing it.

To the extreme, one just has to look at Josh Hamilton. When he truly is clean and sober, he is a monster of a player. Throughout his career, including in the minors, when he has been "on something" (2009), his performance has been degraded. Although I care about Hamilton as another human being, my concern would be greater if he wore a Tigers' uniform

I wasn't trying to say you're okay with racist slurs. I was just trying to say I think the League and DD, the racist slur is worse than the drinking.

Funny thing about the word "Jew" though.

It in itself is not a racial slur, it's a word that's only an insult when used in a certain context, and I should point out the that issue was not racial, but religious. Apparently it's okay to attack someones race in NYC, just not their religion.

And we still don't know exactly what was said, we do however, know his B.A.C.

What?

Think you meant this: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...fielder-delmon-young-arrested-charged-battery

Delmon Young charged with battery after allegedly choking valet

Free-agent outfielder Delmon Young was arrested Sunday night and charged with battery after allegedly choking and threatening a valet in Miami.

According to the police report, Young, 30, approached the Viceroy Hotel, where he is a resident, and asked the valet to open an elevator. The valet said that the elevator was closed because the club to which it went was not open.

According to the report, Young said, "Stupid Cuban, open the f------ door. I'm here. Now what?"

He was told again that the club was closed, and Young responded: "I'm going to f------ kill you, you Latin piece of s---." According to the report, Young then began to choke the valet.

After about five seconds, the valet was able to free himself. Young ran toward the back of the complex where he lives.

Police responding to the scene went to Young's apartment. According to the report, the officer was greeted by Young, who was naked from the waist down. He was advised to put on clothes and provide identification.

Young was identified by the valet, according to the report, which also states that the incident was captured on video. Young was arrested at 10:15 p.m.

This isn't his first run-in with the law. Young was arrested in 2012 and pleaded guilty to aggravated harassment for yelling anti-Semitic slurs while intoxicated in New York City. He was suspended for seven days by MLB and ordered to undergo counseling.

Young was suspended 50 games while playing for the minor league Durham Bulls in 2006 for throwing a bat at an umpire. He also was suspended three games after chest-bumping a minor league plate umpire in 2005.

He has played for five teams in a 10-year MLB career. He played in 52 games for the Baltimore Orioles last season, batting .270 with two home runs and 16 RBIs.

f'ing Delmon

Last edited:
What?

Think you meant this: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...fielder-delmon-young-arrested-charged-battery

Delmon Young charged with battery after allegedly choking valet

Free-agent outfielder Delmon Young was arrested Sunday night and charged with battery after allegedly choking and threatening a valet in Miami.

According to the police report, Young, 30, approached the Viceroy Hotel, where he is a resident, and asked the valet to open an elevator. The valet said that the elevator was closed because the club to which it went was not open.

According to the report, Young said, "Stupid Cuban, open the f------ door. I'm here. Now what?"

He was told again that the club was closed, and Young responded: "I'm going to f------ kill you, you Latin piece of s---." According to the report, Young then began to choke the valet.

After about five seconds, the valet was able to free himself. Young ran toward the back of the complex where he lives.

Police responding to the scene went to Young's apartment. According to the report, the officer was greeted by Young, who was naked from the waist down. He was advised to put on clothes and provide identification.

Young was identified by the valet, according to the report, which also states that the incident was captured on video. Young was arrested at 10:15 p.m.

This isn't his first run-in with the law. Young was arrested in 2012 and pleaded guilty to aggravated harassment for yelling anti-Semitic slurs while intoxicated in New York City. He was suspended for seven days by MLB and ordered to undergo counseling.

Young was suspended 50 games while playing for the minor league Durham Bulls in 2006 for throwing a bat at an umpire. He also was suspended three games after chest-bumping a minor league plate umpire in 2005.

He has played for five teams in a 10-year MLB career. He played in 52 games for the Baltimore Orioles last season, batting .270 with two home runs and 16 RBIs.

f'ing Delmon

lol

yup...I pasted the wrong link.

Back