Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tiger Payroll Purgatory

Then of course, he said, in public, that he WOULD go over the luxury tax cap. So there is that.

Buy season tickets

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Now before they're gone

DET is sitting at about $157 Mil for just 11 players. I knew Illitch didn't care about the luxury tax, but I didn't think he would bust it before filling out the roster.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/12/8/9853664/detroit-tigers-payroll-2016-mlb-luxury-tax

This offseason's additions come at a cost of $49.5 million in average annual value, leaving the team's projected Opening Day payroll at an estimated $172.6 million if they fill the remaining roster spots with players earning near the major league minimum salary. For purposes of calculating a potential luxury tax, the payroll is projected at $188.4 million after factoring in Mark Lowe's salary, and there are other costs such as bonuses, buyouts, and minor league call ups that will push that number over the tax threshold.

Last edited:
DET is sitting at about $157 Mil for just 11 players. I knew Illitch didn't care about the luxury tax, but I didn't think he would bust it before filling out the roster.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/12/8/9853664/detroit-tigers-payroll-2016-mlb-luxury-tax

This offseason's additions come at a cost of $49.5 million in average annual value, leaving the team's projected Opening Day payroll at an estimated $172.6 million if they fill the remaining roster spots with players earning near the major league minimum salary. For purposes of calculating a potential luxury tax, the payroll is projected at $188.4 million after factoring in Mark Lowe's salary, and there are other costs such as bonuses, buyouts, and minor league call ups that will push that number over the tax threshold.

and with the additions they have made it still looks to be a sub .500 team

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/12/detroit_tigers_payroll_update.html#incart_river_index
Payroll projection: Detroit Tigers appear to have already pushed past $170 million for 2016.
Mlive
Incredible when you think about it. I don't see the current roster as WS contenders. At the end of the day, our rotation is weaker than last season. Our bullpen seems to be better so I am not sure how many wins that will add. We will miss Cespedes bat assuming we don't sign him. In my mind, if everything goes right, we look like a 81 win team. That is a ton of money for 81 wins. If they just crap the bed by trade deadline, they have to have a fire sale. Someone would have to be real desperate to take on a miggy, jv, kinsler, or Vmart contract. So we may end up being tortured to death for the next 6-8 years of .500 baseball. I see it coming...

Last edited:
Incredible when you think about it. I don't see the current roster as WS contenders. At the end of the day, our rotation is weaker than last season. Our bullpen seems to be better so I am not sure how many wins that will add. We will miss Cespedes bat assuming we don't sign him. In my mind, if everything goes right, we look like a 81 win team. That is a ton of money for 81 wins. If they just crap the bed by trade deadline, they have to have a fire sale. Someone would have to be real desperate to take on a might, jv, kinsler, or Vmart contract. So we may end up be tortured to death for the next 6-8 years of .500 baseball. I see it coming...

We haven't improved the anemic offense of the second half of 2015. Maybin isn't an improvement. Salty replaces Avila offensively, but is a huge minus defensively. McCann fell off big time in the 2nd half, once he hit more against RHP. Even Iggy fell off. Castellanos' 2nd half was horrible against RHP and huge against LHP; overall it showed to be great but it was misleading.

And you are right, the starters aren't much better than 2015's and it will be questionable that the bullpen will add any more wins, if any.

81 wins is a safe bet.

We haven't improved the anemic offense of the second half of 2015. Maybin isn't an improvement. Salty replaces Avila offensively, but is a huge minus defensively. McCann fell off big time in the 2nd half, once he hit more against RHP. Even Iggy fell off. Castellanos' 2nd half was horrible against RHP and huge against LHP; overall it showed to be great but it was misleading.

And you are right, the starters aren't much better than 2015's and it will be questionable that the bullpen will add any more wins, if any.

81 wins is a safe bet.
If they crap the bed going into trade deadline, is there any chance they could move miggy, Vmart, jv, or Kinsler?

If they crap the bed going into trade deadline, is there any chance they could move miggy, Vmart, jv, or Kinsler?

They have a better chance at moving JD or Zimm.

Projections by position

C = -4 Wins

1B = +8 Wins

2B = +4 Wins

SS = +3 Wins

3B = -6 Wins

LF = -4 Wins

CF = -6 Wins

RF = +5 Wins

DH = + 2 Wins

It actuallycomes out to 83 wins. And this is only if the positions are manned by the current projected starters, that they play to their abilities they have demonstrated and that they remain healthy.

Last edited:
Projections by position

C = -4 Wins

1B = +8 Wins

2B = +4 Wins

SS = +3 Wins

3B = -6 Wins

LF = -4 Wins

CF = -6 Wins

RF = +5 WinsDH = + 2 WinsIt actuallycomes out to 83 wins. And this is only if the positions are manned by the current projected starters, that they play to their abilities they have demonstrated and that they remain healthy.
What difference is made when the SP and RP are included into the equation?

Back