Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers sign SP Mike Pelfry and release him 3/30/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
"change in talent or luck" or injury, which you might say is a change in "talent" I guess.

This organization has to have access to the same stats Reb provides. How can they look at that and think....he's our guy, let's sign him and we'll give him 8 million. No better yet, let's give him a 2 year deal for 16 million. Seriously though, when the agent discussed negotiations how did the Tigers not slide those stats across the table and say statistically Pelfrey is ranked at or near the bottom for everything.....everything.
They have access to all the stats we do, obviously, and then some. They have their own internal scouts' #s and reports, then they have the in house numbers cooked up by their own folks-with spreadsheets.

They see something we don't or see something that is more significant than we think it is, obviously. Now the question is, is it real or not.

Maybe the new pitching coach seen something he could correct in him. Other than that, I got nothing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Heard on radio it was a scout signing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It would be pretty cool if Pelfrey has a good season with the Tigers just to piss off annoying stat dorks.

It would be pretty cool if Pelfrey has a good season with the Tigers just to piss off annoying stat dorks.

lol...I thought of you when Rebbiv said "Thank gawd for the "eye test". Right on queue Scout xer0.

Stat dorks? If you're not into stats baseball might be the wrong sport for you. Not sure I know a baseball fan who wasn't into stats, even a little bit.

Stat dorks? If you're not into stats baseball might be the wrong sport for you. Not sure I know a baseball fan who wasn't into stats, even a little bit.

You'd be surprised how many people get really upset when stats are brought in to counter subjective reasoning on this board.

I'm into stats but just because a player has mediocre stats doesn't mean he can't outperform them and make this into a positive signing, sure the odds aren't great based on the sample size but I'd like to see it happen. It seems some here would rather be proven right then see players perform well for the Tigers, it's absolutely pathetic.

You'd be surprised how many people get really upset when stats are brought in to counter subjective reasoning on this board.

I know. Baseball and stats go hand in hand like Pasta and Italian people.

Funny thing...it wouldn't piss me off. As a Tiger fan, I am all for the success of the team.

Realistically, every player has a career year, an outlier as you will, so even if he does have a good year in 2016, it doesn't detract for the current evidence showing it wasn't a good signing. Even Avila admits the numbers aren't good.

I'm into stats but just because a player has mediocre stats doesn't mean he can't outperform them and make this into a positive signing, sure the odds aren't great based on the sample size but I'd like to see it happen. It seems some here would rather be proven right then see players perform well for the Tigers, it's absolutely pathetic.

You mean your obsession with Avila?

No one on here thinks that. But it needs to be pointed out that he hasn't been very good and is being over payed. And when Avila said he's going to look at the players Sabermetrics? How's that going.

I don't have one, I am just of the opinion that he's massively overvalued by some Tigers fans.

From the Avila thread:

[B said:
xer0[/B];632030]That's the funny thing is you don't need to even know anything about baseball, just watch him play and that's all the proof you need. He's atrocious.

I don't have one, I am just of the opinion that he's massively overvalued by some Tigers fans.

If you used stats/metrics maybe you'd understand. His catching abilities were better, much better than anyone we had. It's been proven.

Yeah, so? That's no proof I have an obsession, it's simply calling a spade a spade. If that was your proof then you failed (nothing new there).

If you used stats/metrics maybe you'd understand. His catching abilities were better, much better than anyone we had. It's been proven.

That's not saying much so who cares? He was one of the worst hitters in the league and Walks are the most overrated stat in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back