Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers looking at Cespedes and Gordon

Stiffs with a .930 OPS are welcome on this team, that's just last year but someone over .750 should have a roster spot. I'd take Raburn/Collins over Gose any day. Are you saying you wouldn't?

the thing is...what does he really bring to the team? He can't play defense and only hits LH pitching. I can see a team that has a ton of every day LH players signing him but the Tigers are already mostly RH

Last edited:
Tigers in talks with Rockies. Rockies signed Parra so they are most likely going to be trading one of their current OF. Depending on asking prices they have a few guys we could really use.

Tigers in talks with Rockies. Rockies signed Parra so they are most likely going to be trading one of their current OF. Depending on asking prices they have a few guys we could really use.

Moster difference in home/away splits for all 3 of the available OF'ers.

Dale, I just thought of this after reading your post. Tigers really don't want another 5/6 year long term contract, now with the rockies signing Parra, could they be going after Carlos Gonzalez in a trade? He would be short term, iirc just 2 years left on his contract at 17/18 Million per? Even if over the salary cap, it would be at most 2 years and possibly one.

edit, Gotime added why that might be a sticking point.

Last edited:
Dale, I just thought of this after reading your post. Tigers really don't want another 5/6 year long term contract, now with the rockies signing Parra, could they be going after Carlos Gonzalez in a trade? He would be short term, iirc just 2 years left on his contract at 17/18 Million per? Even if over the salary cap, it would be at most 2 years and possibly one.

edit, Gotime added why that might be a sticking point.

Had they not traded for Maybin I could see them pursuing CarGo. 17/18 a year is a lot to take on but at least it would only be 2 years like you said. Blackmon's speed at the top of the lineup would be intriguing too. I would be least interested in Dickerson. Even with that said, I would probably take any of the 3 over Gose, depending on the cost. I would also imagine they have several teams attention which means the Tiger's may over pay via trade...in that case I would much rather walk away.

Last edited:
5 years 90 million is being reported. Sounds like Baltimore. I find it surprising that we aren't higher than that.

Last edited:
5 years 90 million is being reported. Sounds like Baltimore. I find it surprising that we aren't higher than that.

Free agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes and his representatives at Roc Nation Sports have been seeking a six-year contract that will pay the slugger as much as $22MM annually this offseason, reports ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick (via Twitter).

6/132

Last edited:
Or a one year with Mets

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cespedes' and his agent have been unquestionably ambitious, but also somewhat unrealistic.

Throughout the season and off season there has been a clear media campaign to enhance his value, not just highlight it, but enhance it.
From the early MVP "buzz" by like a couple in the media (clients of Roc Nation?), to the Gold Glove win (the nomination was a stretch, Cespedes has a power arm, but his fielding is essentially mediocre otherwise).
His season has been repeatedly characterized as MVP-like, when it wasn't, even if he'd stayed with the Tigers and Price had as well, Cespedes would only maybe the #4 or #5 Tigers' MVP behind Price, JD, Miggy, and probably Kinsler.

The reality is that Cespedes has a suspiciously limited history of high level success for his age and that kind of money, essentially he has been a bit streaky. 2 great years 2 okayish years does not equal pay at the great level. I think his rookie year was followed by the league figuring him out and then him figuring the league out, but that is what he and his agent want us to think. It isn't so until it is, and so far there is limited proof that it is. He should take a short deal or one with that option.

Currently, Cespedes is a 4-5 year $18-20mil player.
THAT is why the market for him has not appeared.

Anyway, at 5 for $90m, I wouldn't expect the Tigers to swoop in with 4 year for $76-80m.

The shot of JD and Cespedes golfing together that was labeled JD recruiting, I thought it might be instead more like Cespedes saying, "hold out man, get the $$$."

However, that shit ain't quite working out quite right so far.

Rumors were that Cespedes never got along with Ausmus. Anyone got any proof of that?

I don't remember Tony. Most all of the players say the proper words to the media. Too bad we can't hear what is said in the Tigers' or Lions' clubhouses.

Back