Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mlb tv

UMRules06

Hi guys. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. I'm seriously considering cutting my cable cord, and the only thing holding me back is losing Fox Sports Detroit, and Big Ten Network. I am curious if anyone has used MLB TV to watch Tiger games, and if so is it a suitable replacement? I can live without Pistons and Red Wings if I have to, but I would really really miss being able to turn on a Tigers game during the summers. I understand that local games are subject to blackout on MLB TV, but I don't really know how it works exactly. Would love to hear any opinions or feedback on this subject. Thanks guys!

I just can't do it.. But then I enjoy all the teams not just the now boring Tigers who will need a miracle not to finish last again....

I'm pretty sure you can't get Tiger games if you're in the area that's designated for them.

You could get all the other teams games, but the Tigers would be subject to a blackout.

Only worth it if you live out of market like Mitch, KC, or Rebbiv do.

I live in New York, so I can watch all the Tigers games that don't include the Yankees or Mets as opponents. You can listen to all the games.

It is the same broadcast you would get from Fox Detroit, except without the commercials. You can also choose the opposing team's broadcast so you don't have to listen to Rod Allen.

You can also choose to listen to to it like a radio and hear Jim Price. I don't believe the radio aspect is blacked out. If you don't live in Michigan or Toledo area, this is a great buy/value if you watch a ton of games.

Also, you can still watch the Tiger games, just not live. So once the game is over, you can still watch it. Not sure about you, but I wouldn't like watching all my games delayed like that.

Ok I see. Yes I live in Michigan, so sounds like it wouldn't work for me too well.

I don't know how MLBTV is subscribed to, but if it uses an internet connection, then there might be tools such as proxies like TOR, that will shroud your physical location given by your ISP.

yes, cable and internet bills are outrageous! My monthly ATT bill is over $250 and my Verizon bill is $240. $490 a month for "technology" bills and my electric and gas combined is only about $180.

Every time that one of our utilities petitions the Michigan Public Service Commission for a rate increase to their customers, it is granted the rubber-stamp of approval. I haven't noticed any improvement of delivery over the past 30+ years, we still have the occasional power outages, due to w/e.

Our electricity provider (DTE) was just granted another rate increase recently, so I am expecting our average monthly bill to jump by another $10 or more. The last time that I decorated the outside of our house for Christmas was 2001.

yes, cable and internet bills are outrageous! My monthly ATT bill is over $250 and my Verizon bill is $240. $490 a month for "technology" bills and my electric and gas combined is only about $180.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-in-market-streaming-a-small-step/

If you can live without local channels, you could try Sling TV.

https://www.sling.com/package

It has ESPN, ESPN2, TBS and TNT. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and MLBTV in season that I pay subscriptions to. Most TV stations (CBS, ABC, Fox, NBC) has their own streaming services, some content is free. It is also fairly easy to stream certain NFL games for free.

I have debated for a few years now of getting a Sling Box and putting it at my Mom's in Michigan. I would even pay half her cable bill.

http://www.slingbox.com/

FYI...I still am grandfathered by Verizon for UNLIMITED DATA on my cell phone. They have been trying to get me off of it for some time now. I have an HDMI output on my phone and I have streamed virtually everything off of it, including my DirecTV via an app.

Technology is great and better than the 4 snowy over-the-air TV stations I got as a kid. No ESPN back then.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-in-market-streaming-a-small-step/

If you can live without local channels, you could try Sling TV.

https://www.sling.com/package

It has ESPN, ESPN2, TBS and TNT. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and MLBTV in season that I pay subscriptions to. Most TV stations (CBS, ABC, Fox, NBC) has their own streaming services, some content is free. It is also fairly easy to stream certain NFL games for free.

I have debated for a few years now of getting a Sling Box and putting it at my Mom's in Michigan. I would even pay half her cable bill.

http://www.slingbox.com/

FYI...I still am grandfathered by Verizon for UNLIMITED DATA on my cell phone. They have been trying to get me off of it for some time now. I have an HDMI output on my phone and I have streamed virtually everything off of it, including my DirecTV via an app.

Technology is great and better than the 4 snowy over-the-air TV stations I got as a kid. No ESPN back then.

I would have a hard time convincing my family to make such a drastic change. I don't watch much live TV except for the Tigers and some football. We DVR a lot of shows. I don't know how those items above would work in my house since we have 5 TVs with 4 cable boxes.

I did just sign up for the netflix trial and have started using Amazon for movie purchases. I like the idea of just buying the movie and having it on line vs. having to purchase and store a disc. It is kind of funny...we wanted to watch 2 movies over the weekend and we have them both on DVD but the DVD's were not in the cases. I ended up just buying them again on Amazon. At least my son won't lose them again!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/mlb-to-offer-single-team-mlb-tv-purchase-option-for-2016/
MLB to offer single team MLB-TV purchase option for 2016. Fangraphs added this 12/28.

KC...it is still just for out-of-market teams, so people in Michigan still won't be able to get the games. Fox Detroit has exclusive rights for customers within their market, just like YES has exclusive rights for the Yankees. For someone like me or you, we could just buy the Tigers package over the "30-team" package. The 30-team package is a misnomer. I get the Yankees and Mets blacked out, so out of 15 possible games each day, I can only watch 13 live (assuming the Mets aren't playing the Yankees).

There is a black hole near D.C. where the blackout includes the Nats, Phillies and Orioles, my nephew lives there.

I would have a hard time convincing my family to make such a drastic change. I don't watch much live TV except for the Tigers and some football. We DVR a lot of shows. I don't know how those items above would work in my house since we have 5 TVs with 4 cable boxes.

I did just sign up for the netflix trial and have started using Amazon for movie purchases. I like the idea of just buying the movie and having it on line vs. having to purchase and store a disc. It is kind of funny...we wanted to watch 2 movies over the weekend and we have them both on DVD but the DVD's were not in the cases. I ended up just buying them again on Amazon. At least my son won't lose them again!

Same. If it was just me I'd get rid of Cable TV, or in my case Directv. Btw, Tom - Sling TV can only be watched on one TV at a time. With a big family, this doesn't work so well.

I've used MLB.tv in the past and it's pretty good service. You could use a proxy or better yet, VPN. But depends where it's coming from, the connection may differ.

I lowered my directv down to the lowest package, no MLBN or NFLN or even ESPN. Just too expensive. $45 just for equipment. Total ripoff.

I'm going to cut the cord after the first of the year but I'm going to upgrade my internet. Total savings of approx $100 - $120 a month. Ways to get MLB tv if you live in network, you can get a VPN or proxie client which would make it seem like your IP address is not in the local area. I know people who have done this for the NHL ticket so I would assume it would work for MLB. You would have to pay approx $5 - $10 a month for the VPN. but only during the baseball season. These are routes I would look into first. Also when you get the MLB ticket I bet there is a trial period or see if you can cancel if your "internet" doesn't keep up with the stream.

I don't know how MLBTV is subscribed to, but if it uses an internet connection, then there might be tools such as proxies like TOR, that will shroud your physical location given by your ISP.

I had MLBTV for a few years and this does work. Really easy actually.

My VPN I use, PIA (Private Internet Access). Very good and $3.33 a month, if you sign up for a year. Hidemyass is a good one too. If you do go that route get a service that has unlimited bandwidth. Not all of them do..

Hi guys. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. I'm seriously considering cutting my cable cord, and the only thing holding me back is losing Fox Sports Detroit, and Big Ten Network.

What about Michigan football and basketball on the ESPN networks? There's still a lot of games on them...

What about Michigan football and basketball on the ESPN networks? There's still a lot of games on them...

You're right about UofM. Especially now that Harbaugh might have the team back to national relevance, I'm sure most of their games will be either on ABC or some ESPN network.

It's mostly the Tigers/Pistons/Red Wings I don't want to lose. But I'm still weighing all my options. It seems silly to pay over $100 dollars a month extra just to watch local sports.

Back