Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Casty on Power Alley

jdeb

Morrisi and Bowden from XM had Casty on today. Working out with little brother who was drafted by Tigers last year, said his command was his strength. Said he did well first year. Asked where he needs to improve and he said it was to stop chasing pitch's out of the zone. He said he adjusted after all star break and found success and was building on that. He also mentioned that team chemistry was huge for KC's success in that a lot of the players played together moving through the organization and they hang with each other off the field. He said it was good chemistry in Detroit but not the same as playing together through minors. Excited about Upton and heard was a great teammate. Sounds like he was close to Avila, now in Chicago and is afraid he will not be able to stop laughing in his first at bat when Avila is catching...look for it.

Duquette expects Casty can have a 20+ homer season easy if he lays off the stuff off the plate, expecting him to have a good year in that lineup.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Morrisi and Bowden from XM had Casty on today. Working out with little brother who was drafted by Tigers last year, said his command was his strength. Said he did well first year. Asked where he needs to improve and he said it was to stop chasing pitch's out of the zone. He said he adjusted after all star break and found success and was building on that. He also mentioned that team chemistry was huge for KC's success in that a lot of the players played together moving through the organization and they hang with each other off the field. He said it was good chemistry in Detroit but not the same as playing together through minors. Excited about Upton and heard was a great teammate. Sounds like he was close to Avila, now in Chicago and is afraid he will not be able to stop laughing in his first at bat when Avila is catching...look for it.

Duquette expects Casty can have a 20+ homer season easy if he lays off the stuff off the plate, expecting him to have a good year in that lineup.

haha....just posted the same thing on another thread. It was a pretty good interview.

Just a few things.

Castellanos did not hit a Home Run in is last 130 Plate Appearances in 2015.

Castellanos had only 4 walks in his last 136 Plate Appearances in 2015.

Additionally, his hitting against RHP in the 2nd half of 2015 was in line with his career average against RHP. Where he excelled, was against LHP in the 2nd half of 2015

Castellanos is an enigma. He will only be 24, but he needs to make great strides in 2016. I do not think the 2nd half of 2015 was that much of a positive. People might think it, or he might think. But if you look at the data under a microscope he really didn't improve against RHP, where he will get 75% of his Plate Appearances.

However, never underestimate the power of "confidence".

Last edited:
Just a few things.

Castellanos did not hit a Home Run in is last 130 Plate Appearances in 2015.

Castellanos had only 4 walks in his last 136 Plate Appearances in 2015.

Additionally, his hitting against RHP in the 2nd half of 2015 was in line with his career average against RHP. Where he excelled, was against LHP in the 2nd half of 2015

Castellanos is an enigma. He will only be 24, but he needs to make great strides in 2016. I do not think the 2nd half of 2015 was that much of a positive. People might think it, or he might think. But if you look at the data under a microscope he really didn't improve against RHP, where he will get 75% of his Plate Appearances.

However, never underestimate the power of "confidence".
Only remember him having one good month

There were some small improvements with Castellanos not chasing sliders down and away as often as he did earlier in the season.
He is still young and can improve more into as a few here think he can be a 20 homerun guy.
The problem that imo will still be there is his poor to mediocre defense at 3B.
2016 will be an important year in his overall improvement in his confidence.
2017 will be the year the Tigers must come to a decision imo.

I remember wanting to get rid of Nick so bad at the start of the year , even up till all star break . He actually ended up being pretty productive and had a decent year . He is what he is , i had always thought he was gonna be a hitting star because all you heard about him was " the kid hits everywhere he goes " ....Im more than fine with him now tho , we basically know what we are getting and back end of the lineup is where he belongs . We cant have all stars everywhere and right now hes a pretty solid option for us .

There were some small improvements with Castellanos not chasing sliders down and away as often as he did earlier in the season.
He is still young and can improve more into as a few here think he can be a 20 homerun guy.
The problem that imo will still be there is his poor to mediocre defense at 3B.
2016 will be an important year in his overall improvement in his confidence.
2017 will be the year the Tigers must come to a decision imo.

Hence why unless he can maintain an OPS in the high 700s to 800s, he is a liability to this team. His value is centered on whether he will hit.

His 2014 and 2015 final stats are very much similar. He did not change his walk rate nor his strikeout rate that much between years, if any. The one thing he did do was three times as many grounded into double plays, which is a negative.

His .438 BABIP against LHP in 2015 is certainly not sustainable. So there should be regression in that area.

I remember wanting to get rid of Nick so bad at the start of the year , even up till all star break . He actually ended up being pretty productive and had a decent year . He is what he is , i had always thought he was gonna be a hitting star because all you heard about him was " the kid hits everywhere he goes " ....Im more than fine with him now tho , we basically know what we are getting and back end of the lineup is where he belongs . We cant have all stars everywhere and right now hes a pretty solid option for us .

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. In the last 2 years:

Last in virtually all defensive metrics.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...4&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Last in Defensive Runs Saved

Last in UZR/150

In an assumed park neutral environment, he is near the bottom offensively.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...4&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

His age is the only item that offers a little bit of hope, because there is nothing from his performance that suggests otherwise.

Last edited:
I think his D might improve this year. Remember, he was moved around a bit to start his career. He's been back at 3rd now for a couple years so hopefully he's more comfortable now.

I think his D might improve this year. Remember, he was moved around a bit to start his career. He's been back at 3rd now for a couple years so hopefully he's more comfortable now.

I hope so. You'd think he could accidentally improve. He's that bad.

2010 = 3B
2011 = 3B
2012 = 3B some OF

2013 = LF

2014 = 3B
2015 = 3B

2012 was the year DET got Prince Fielder and moved Miguel Cabrera to 3B. With both signed long term, the thought was that his path to MLB was blocked. Castellanos has been playing ball since a youngster, primarily as a 3B. Having him play LF for one year should not have had such a negative effect on his defensive development. The issue was he wasn't all that great defensively in the minors either. He was almost as bad in LF. If he does finally start to hit at an acceptable, his path might take him to being a full time DH.

While metrically his defensive stats improved in 2015, he was still at the bottom of the lists. The only way he evens becomes an average MLB player is if he starts hitting at an above average level.

He improved last year on almost every stat there is from his rookie year , avoided the dreadful sophomore slump and even improved his fielding . But yea , he is basically useless to us as a bottom of the lineup guy . Makes sense

First, "The problem that imo will still be there is his poor to mediocre defense at 3B."
I don't agree. Yes, statistically Castellanos is towards the bottom. And that is true. No one can argue the numbers.
But the significance of the numbers is what is getting lost.
If every starting 3rd baseman were Gold Glove quality, one would still be statistically last, right?

So, it is not Castellanos' defensive runs saved or zone defense and out of zone defense on their own, but how they compare to the middle of the pack and the top of the pack.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, how does Castellanos' "bad defense" effect the game?
Does he bobble balls?
Does he make stupid errors?
Does he throw balls away?
Do his throws regularly bounce and get to 1st late?
Etc.
The answers, based on what I've seen watching the kid is that he isn't the greatest third baseman I've ever seen but when I watch him play I don't see any thing that makes me say, "that is the worst starting third baseman there is."
I do see some bad first steps, some occasional awkwardness, and an okay arm that tends to be accurate (he doesn't throw the ball away much at all).

Castellanos is an okay third baseman, he is not a disaster simply because he is statistically at the bottom of the heap. That is bad logic.

Also, he is not what he is.

He is a 24 year old player, pressed into service, he was playing short stop in 2010 cause he was in highshool, was shuffled briefly to 3rd in 2010. Played 2011 and 2012 there at in A and AA, then was switched the outfield (which didn't go great) in AAA in 2013 then back to 3rd and MLB in 2014.
That was a rough ask for anyone but someone with ridiculous talent like a young Cabrera.
That said, he did okay. He was statistically last, but he didn't and continues not to make terrible goofs that cost the team, he also doesn't make amazing web gems (although he does have a couple).

At 24 Castellanos is a developing player, developing in the pros as opposed to in AAA, which is probably where he should've been in 2014 at least to build skill and confidence.
Castellanos is a good club house guy, gets along with everyone, keeps his chin up, tends to be up beat, and like Upton, when he gets to 28, Castellanos will be a season veteran, unlike say guys who start in the bigs at 26.

Castellanos is what he is and what he will become a young seasoned player hopefully with a good bat.

Haloday is what he is -- a mediocre late 20s catcher who never really caught on at a major league club.

Last edited:
He improved last year on almost every stat there is from his rookie year , avoided the dreadful sophomore slump and even improved his fielding . But yea , he is basically useless to us as a bottom of the lineup guy . Makes sense

Really? Are we proving this based on counting stats or rate stats? Because his rate stats are within tolerance of one another. In my book, there is no discernible difference between the two years, except the unsustainable stats versus LHP in 2015 and his ancrease rate of grounding into doubleplays, which I take as negatives.

Defensively, there is no metric that remains the same. So I could show Curtis Granderson improved at RF in 2015 from the deviations in his DRS and UZR/150, which was as dramatic as Castellanos' deviations. Those changes do not by themselves mean improvement.

First, "The problem that imo will still be there is his poor to mediocre defense at 3B."
I don't agree. Yes, statistically Castellanos is towards the bottom. And that is true. No one can argue the numbers.
But the significance of the numbers is what is getting lost.
If every starting 3rd baseman were Gold Glove quality, one would still be statistically last, right?

So, it is not Castellanos' defensive runs saved or zone defense and out of zone defense on their own, but how they compare to the middle of the pack and the top of the pack.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, how does Castellanos' "bad defense" effect the game?
Does he bobble balls?
Does he make stupid errors?
Does he throw balls away?
Do his throws regularly bounce and get to 1st late?
Etc.
The answers, based on what I've seen watching the kid is that he isn't the greatest third baseman I've ever seen but when I watch him play I don't see any thing that makes me say, "that is the worst starting third baseman there is."
I do see some bad first steps, some occasional awkwardness, and an okay arm that tends to be accurate (he doesn't throw the ball away much at all).

Castellanos is an okay third baseman, he is not a disaster simply because he is statistically at the bottom of the heap. That is bad logic.

Also, he is not what he is.

He is a 24 year old player, pressed into service, he was playing short stop in 2010 cause he was in highshool, was shuffled briefly to 3rd in 2010. Played 2011 and 2012 there at in A and AA, then was switched the outfield (which didn't go great) in AAA in 2013 then back to 3rd and MLB in 2014.
That was a rough ask for anyone but someone with ridiculous talent like a young Cabrera.
That said, he did okay. He was statistically last, but he didn't and continues not to make terrible goofs that cost the team, he also doesn't make amazing web gems (although he does have a couple).

At 24 Castellanos is a developing player, developing in the pros as opposed to in AAA, which is probably where he should've been in 2014 at least to build skill and confidence.
Castellanos is a good club house guy, gets along with everyone, keeps his chin up, tends to be up beat, and like Upton, when he gets to 28, Castellanos will be a season veteran, unlike say guys who start in the bigs at 26.

Castellanos is what he is and what he will become a young seasoned player hopefully with a good bat.

Haloday is what he is -- a mediocre late 20s catcher who never really caught on at a major league club.

I am sorry, but he was a 3B in High School and played 3B for the US in the 2009 Junior PAN AM Games.

Really? Are we proving this based on counting stats or rate stats? Because his rate stats are within tolerance of one another. In my book, there is no discernible difference between the two years, except the unsustainable stats versus LHP in 2015 and his ancrease rate of grounding into doubleplays, which I take as negatives.

Defensively, there is no metric that remains the same. So I could show Curtis Granderson improved at RF in 2015 from the deviations in his DRS and UZR/150, which was as dramatic as Castellanos' deviations. Those changes do not by themselves mean improvement.

I dunno , im just looking at his rookie year and last year and to me it seems like he did better in almost every category . And the ones he didnt improve , was pretty much the same . With the exception of the 21 dp's , which is for sure concerning .

He is the worst 3B I have ever seen. I have watched a lot of baseball since the 70's and he is brutal. Everyone was saying how he improved and frankly, I didn't see it. He probably did improve a little since Porcello was gone but he is hard to watch most days.

He is the worst 3B I have ever seen. I have watched a lot of baseball since the 70's and he is brutal. Everyone was saying how he improved and frankly, I didn't see it. He probably did improve a little since Porcello was gone but he is hard to watch most days.

I think he improved with both the bat and the glove , remember it was only his 2nd full season . Believe me , his first half of the year i was wanting to do anything possible to get rid of him . I almost hated him as much as Cringe lol . But he bounced back 2nd half and actually had a solid year . I look for him to build on what he had going in the 2nd half of last year . For a bottom of the order guy , he isnt half bad at all

Back