Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Most useless Sports News source

JackCade

For my money it is ESPN. (No wonder they can't make any money. Their analysis is weak and shallow witted. The follow sound bites, go for flash over substance, have some seriously irresponsible reporters, yes they do have a couple of top reporters, but the pressure to produce content leads even them to produce shit.)

Like ESPN's only use is the general overview. If you wan to really no something look elsewhere.

Followed closely by SI.

Dave Dombrowski signed two huge names, replaced a couple of pieces and that is more or less it. How is that good? Like, that is easy. Is that going to get the Sox back into contention?
SI grade A.

Al Avila adds 5 pitchers (finally fixing Dombrowski's mess in the pen), 5 fielders, sheds a bunch of chumps, and keeps his core young talent and his top prospects, but he gets a B?
Whaaaa?

Last edited:
Mike and Mike are the closest thing to nothing as well. Really tired of hearing about Football "(Jets)"and basketball during BASEBALL season.

For my money it is ESPN. (No wonder they can't make any money. Their analysis is weak and shallow witted. The follow sound bites, go for flash over substance, have some seriously irresponsible reporters, yes they do have a couple of top reporters, but the pressure to produce content leads even them to produce shit.)

Like ESPN's only use is the general overview. If you wan to really no something look elsewhere.

Followed closely by SI.

Dave Dombrowski signed two huge names, replaced a couple of pieces and that is more or less it. How is that good? Like, that is easy. Is that going to get the Sox back into contention?
SI grade A.

Al Avila adds 5 pitchers (finally fixing Dombrowski's mess in the pen), 5 fielders, sheds a bunch of chumps, and keeps his core young talent and his top prospects, but he gets a B?
Whaaaa?

Aviles and Saltalamacchia are chumps. How much credit do you give to Avila for getting them? That leaves Upton and Maybin, and I don't know who the 5th fielder is supposed to be. I don't see how we did any better than breaking even (at best) here.

As for pitchers, we added J. Zimmerman, K-rage, A. Wilson, Lowe and Pelfrey. While DFA'ing Lobstien. Pelfrey is about to be come the new Coke. I still don't see the bullpen as fixed. Improving maybe, but fixed is taking it a bit far.

Fixed or improved semantics.

You say potato I say parsnips.

I say Joba, BBQ, and Krol are gone, multiple relievers with some real success, the save leader who is still in his prime.

Salty, Aviles, Maybin, Upton (did I say 5?)

4 fielders.

Salty isn't entirely a chump, and he's cheap, Maybin is trending up, Aviles is versatile.
Upton was the second best OFer on the market.

The pen was the a joke last year and the year before that. It is no longer that. It is above average, not much above but above.

Considering all that had to be done Avila did a lot, built redundancy, got a mixture of veterans and positioned hungry young guys to be at their heels.

Last year the rotations backup was Lober, Ryan, and Farmer all of whom sucked. This year it is Greene who started last year with a 24 inning 1 ER stretch, but then had a bad stretch followed by a good stretch (turned out he was injured), Boyd who showed some promise last year and is better than Lober/Ryan/Farmer, and prospect Fulmer who carved up AA last season.

In the pen, the garbage has been taken out. Now, maybe Lowe's resurgence will collapse, maybe one of the Wilsons will struggle, maybe Hardy or Verhagen aren't for real. But maybe Nesbitt will put it together, maybe Ryan or Farmer can't start but can pitch in relief, maybe Rondon will pull his head out of his butt, get healthy, and light it up.
The quality of the pitching reserves are higher.

Last year Gose was the starting CFer, a HUGE mistake. Maybin is better than Gose in every single way, and is trending up (he had a good start of the year last year, started to turn it back on after a drought, and then was injured).

Upton is BETTER than Cespedes and JD is JD.

Pelfrey is a ground ball hitter (I believe he often leads the league with up the middle grounders) who did okay with the Twins and their weak defense. The Tigers better d and middle infield combo will make him look really good. Oh, did I mention that he has the magic ability to keep the ball in the yard, an ability that has passed from statistically anomaly to statistically significant or real. A better D behind him should be able to take advantage of this tendency.

There are very good reasons to expect Pelfrey to have a career year with the Tigers.

Oh did I mention that Avila did the moves he had to do without gutting the farm system as Dumbo would've done?

The Tigers are deep, still a little shallow in pitching and they could use a touch more talent in the infield if you ask me. But Machado still exists and will be a car ride away. Gose will be in Maybin's review mirror and he will be trying to keep up with the two guys to his left and right who are better and 5 months younger.

I see Avila's thinking in putting this team together. There is logic. There is an effort to but the players in a position to succeed.

Fixed or improved semantics.

You say potato I say parsnips.

I say Joba, BBQ, and Krol are gone, multiple relievers with some real success, the save leader who is still in his prime.

Salty, Aviles, Maybin, Upton (did I say 5?)

4 fielders.

Salty isn't entirely a chump, and he's cheap, Maybin is trending up, Aviles is versatile.
Upton was the second best OFer on the market.

The pen was the a joke last year and the year before that. It is no longer that. It is above average, not much above but above.

Considering all that had to be done Avila did a lot, built redundancy, got a mixture of veterans and positioned hungry young guys to be at their heels.

Last year the rotations backup was Lober, Ryan, and Farmer all of whom sucked. This year it is Greene who started last year with a 24 inning 1 ER stretch, but then had a bad stretch followed by a good stretch (turned out he was injured), Boyd who showed some promise last year and is better than Lober/Ryan/Farmer, and prospect Fulmer who carved up AA last season.

In the pen, the garbage has been taken out. Now, maybe Lowe's resurgence will collapse, maybe one of the Wilsons will struggle, maybe Hardy or Verhagen aren't for real. But maybe Nesbitt will put it together, maybe Ryan or Farmer can't start but can pitch in relief, maybe Rondon will pull his head out of his butt, get healthy, and light it up.
The quality of the pitching reserves are higher.

Last year Gose was the starting CFer, a HUGE mistake. Maybin is better than Gose in every single way, and is trending up (he had a good start of the year last year, started to turn it back on after a drought, and then was injured).

Upton is BETTER than Cespedes and JD is JD.

Pelfrey is a ground ball hitter (I believe he often leads the league with up the middle grounders) who did okay with the Twins and their weak defense. The Tigers better d and middle infield combo will make him look really good. Oh, did I mention that he has the magic ability to keep the ball in the yard, an ability that has passed from statistically anomaly to statistically significant or real. A better D behind him should be able to take advantage of this tendency.

There are very good reasons to expect Pelfrey to have a career year with the Tigers.

Oh did I mention that Avila did the moves he had to do without gutting the farm system as Dumbo would've done?

The Tigers are deep, still a little shallow in pitching and they could use a touch more talent in the infield if you ask me. But Machado still exists and will be a car ride away. Gose will be in Maybin's review mirror and he will be trying to keep up with the two guys to his left and right who are better and 5 months younger.

I see Avila's thinking in putting this team together. There is logic. There is an effort to but the players in a position to succeed.

Sorry I disagree about Maybin. You just don't sign a player and a half years worth of work for 8 million. His best season and it's only a .267/.327/.370/.690 last season.
Shame he hits Rhp better then lhp or we could platoon him with Gose I guess by Maybin is awful verses lhp .241/.298/.347/.645.. hopefully Joyner can help him but Maybin was AA ' worst signing this off season.. hope he proves me Wrong but stats don't lie..

I do agree with how espn caters to the shit coast teams on the east ..it's bullshit. .

Most national publications were not favorable to what DET did before the Upton signing and even then, only some say that they might now be in the ball park of the Wild Card (not divisional champs). Is this an assault just because you don't agree with the message?

Local publications/blogs (FreePress, BlessYouBoys, etc, etc) will cater to your desire to feel good about this team at any cost.

Maybin, Aviles, and Pelfrey deals/signings are all negatives in most peoples books. Each are head scratchers. Mark Lowe is a one year wonder who is going to get paid like an elite. Saltamacchia is a marginal signing at best. That leaves Zimmermann, Justin Wilson and now Upton as the only possible positives. At this point, most outside of Detroit "homer" media do not think we have improved by much and certainly not to the point as to what we had to start the 2015 season.

It isn't about quantity of transactions, it is about quality.

ESPN has it's faults. SI has it's faults. Fox Sports, etc, etc But come now, the FreePress and BlessYouBoys are hardly the most credible sources, unless you are a true "homer". Most local media only give you the positives. The truth is some place between the national media and the local media. That's the fact.

Was just watching a show on MLB network yesterday that had guys like Olney on it . Every single one of them were raving at what the tigers have accomplished this offseason and said they are right back to being serious contenders .

And i actually liked the Maybin signing alot , he had a great first half last year and was on his way to a career year before he got injured .

Was just watching a show on MLB network yesterday that had guys like Olney on it . Every single one of them were raving at what the tigers have accomplished this offseason and said they are right back to being serious contenders .

And i actually liked the Maybin signing alot , he had a great first half last year and was on his way to a career year before he got injured .

Maybin has been in the league for about 9 years. He has over 2600 plate appearances. He isn't going to be much different than his career numbers which aren't very impressive.

Away stats

.301 OBP & .673 slugging.

Maybin has been in the league for about 9 years. He has over 2600 plate appearances. He isn't going to be much different than his career numbers which aren't very impressive.

Away stats

.301 OBP & .673 slugging.[/QUOT

Thats not alot of at bats for 9 years . And really he hasnt had but maybe 3 or 4 full years .

Anyway , he just had his best year and if he stayed healthy it could have been a fantastic year . Hes at the age where alot of players have their best years , so we shall see . I like the pickup

Maybin made some adjustments to his swing, repeatable ones, that yielded almost immediate results, he had hiccup and started to recover from it. He is a risk, a $5mil risk. But, he is better at stealing bases that Davis, he is a better defender than either Davis or Gose were last year, and is a more complete hitter, if his adjustments stick he just might have a good season.

He is better than Gose, but if Gose improves he could bump Maybin if Maybin doesn't get it done. It is a good situation, Maybin is 28 compared to Davis's 60 (kidding), this is the time a guy like him either makes some noise or doesn't. There are indications that he was getting ready to make some noise (he was really good to start last year). Avila knows him, it was a cheap and smart move.

There are always better players to be had, Maybin/Gose is very real improvement over Gose/Davis and about the same price, especially since Davis was trending in the wrong direction.

Maybe Maybin won't be better or maybe his work to keep his hands in and shorten his swing, which for whatever reason were never suggested or tried will mean that he finally fulfills the promise scouts saw in him 10 years ago. If you happened to be traveling through Atlanta during the early part of the season last year and found yourself sitting in hotel rooms watching Braves games in the evenings, and saw Maybin's early season performance, you might be a bit more intrigued and hopeful about this signing.
I'd rather have the Rockies young fella, but...

Last edited:

Away stats

.301 OBP & .673 slugging.[/QUOT

Thats not alot of at bats for 9 years . And really he hasnt had but maybe 3 or 4 full years .

Anyway , he just had his best year and if he stayed healthy it could have been a fantastic year . Hes at the age where alot of players have their best years , so we shall see . I like the pickup

I just went and looked at his game log from last year. The only time he really missed was a 7 game stretch in September. His away numbers were worse than this career averages.

I just went and looked at his game log from last year. The only time he really missed was a 7 game stretch in September. His away numbers were worse than this career averages.

Article before the eye injury " Maybin has been a pleasant surprise for the Braves this season after being acquired from the Padres. He has hit .268 with 10 home runs and 52 RBIs so far this season "

After the injury he was never the same the rest of the year . I never said hes an all star , just said i like the pickup

Last year i actually picked him up for a while on my fantasy team , which prompted me to watch most of his games , and i like what i saw .

I'm really impressed with the way that the Tigers have addressed the void in LHH. Maybe it reflects the void in the league.

I'm really impressed with the way that the Tigers have addressed the void in LHH. Maybe it reflects the void in the league.

I never really understood people obsession with having to have LHH . Most of them are a liability against Left handed pitchers , so why do we "need" one or a couple so bad ?

I never really understood people obsession with having to have LHH . Most of them are a liability against Left handed pitchers , so why do we "need" one or a couple so bad ?

Yeah, which is better a great RH hitter or a bad LH hitter? Would you rather have Gose starting over Upton or JD? Hell no you wouldn't.

In a perfect world, sure, the Tigers would have Gold Glovers at every position, all switch hitters with minimal splits and .300averages with power, and starter capable bench players, 5 aces in the rotation and only sub 3 ERA relievers, and a top prospect for every position in Toledo, etc. but that isn't realistic.

The goal is the best hitter or pitcher, then a good Righty/Lefy mix is a distant second.

Righty hitters with minimal splits are just as good as lefty hitters.

Last edited:

Is this a serious post?

Is this a serious post?

Do you ever post anything of value ?

So i bring this up because some people last year wanted a guy like Seth Smith over Cespedes because Smith was left handed . So who would you rather have ? And don't most left handed hitters struggle against left handed pitching ?

So tell me genius , why shouldnt that be a serious post ?

Back