Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Most useless Sports News source

I never really understood people obsession with having to have LHH. Most of them are a liability against Left handed pitchers , so why do we "need" one or a couple so bad ?

Clearly you don't.

Approx % of LHP in MLB: 28%
LHH PAs in AL in 2015: 43%

% of LHH PAs for Tigers in 2015: 22%

Number of Tigers in 2015 with +200 PA: 13
Number of LHH Tigers in 2015 with +200 PA: 4

AL SPLITS
Split PA AVG OBP SLG OPS
vs LHP as RHB 19279 .264 .329 .426 .755
vs RHP as LHB 31922 .256 .323 .414 .737
vs RHP as RHB 32748 .253 .309 .412 .721
vs LHP as LHB 7889 .244 .305 .372 .677

#MATH

Last edited:
Clearly you don't.

AL SPLITS
Split PA AVG OBP SLG OPS

#MATH

His eye test will tell you otherwise.

Clearly you don't.

AL SPLITS
Split PA AVG OBP SLG OPS

#MATH

So RHB hit LHP way better than LHB hit RHP

LHB hit RHP slightly better than RHB hit RHP

Now i understand why Left handed batters are so imortant and a must have .....LOL and SMH

I never really understood people obsession with having to have LHH . Most of them are a liability against Left handed pitchers , so why do we "need" one or a couple so bad ?

most players have a much greater success rate facing the opposite handed pitcher. Since over 3/4 of the pitchers in the league are RH it makes sense that a LH will have better success 3/4 of the time.

Some Tiger examples.

Nick C vs. LH pitching last 3 years .288 avg and .806 OPS...vs RH .248 avg & .677 OPS
Gose vs RH pitching last 3 years, .261 avg, .705 OPS...vs LH pitching .185 avg & .491 OPS.

3/4 of the time Gose produces like a ML player...1/4 of the time he sucks!

Nick produces at an all star level (offensively) 1/4 of the time and below average 3/4 of the time.

most players have a much greater success rate facing the opposite handed pitcher. Since over 3/4 of the pitchers in the league are RH it makes sense that a LH will have better success 3/4 of the time.

Some Tiger examples.

Nick C vs. LH pitching last 3 years .288 avg and .806 OPS...vs RH .248 avg & .677 OPS
Gose vs RH pitching last 3 years, .261 avg, .705 OPS...vs LH pitching .185 avg & .491 OPS.

3/4 of the time Gose produces like a ML player...1/4 of the time he sucks!

Nick produces at an all star level (offensively) 1/4 of the time and below average 3/4 of the time.

McCann is another prime example of this. His splits are well documented..LOL

Do you ever post anything of value ?

So i bring this up because some people last year wanted a guy like Seth Smith over Cespedes because Smith was left handed . So who would you rather have ? And don't most left handed hitters struggle against left handed pitching ?

So tell me genius , why shouldnt that be a serious post ?

If you don't understand the value of a left handed hitter in the game of baseball, you may be beyond hope.

Seriously, it seemed like a troll post because I could not believe any serious baseball fan could be that dumb unless it was on purpose. I guess I stand corrected.

The original post was by byco stating hes so impressed with the way the tigers addressed the LHH void , obviously being sarcastic .

Whats the big obsession with the tigers needing to go get another lefty ? So we shoulda went and got Seth Smith instead of Upton . We have enough lefties/switch hitters as it is , theres no "need" to go get more .

Now i understand why Left handed batters are so imortant and a must have .....LOL and SMH

I guess that it's too complicated for you to grasp that since 62% of all MLB pitchers are right-handed and that LHH hit RHP better than RHH hits RHP, that it's not advantageous to increase the # of PAs for LHH against RHP, since, after all, baseball is a game of meters.

After all, the difference of PAs between RHH and LHH vs RHP was around 826, even though the ratio of RHH to LHH is 3:1.

So there's obviously no concerted effort for MLB teams to create this LHH vs. RHP matchup whenever practicable.

The original post was by byco stating hes so impressed with the way the tigers addressed the LHH void , obviously being sarcastic .

Whats the big obsession with the tigers needing to go get another lefty ? So we shoulda went and got Seth Smith instead of Upton . We have enough lefties/switch hitters as it is , theres no "need" to go get more .

There was a need to get one who could actually hit. Romine, Moya, Saltalamacchia, Gose ain't them. Neither was Victor last season.

We all understand the the concept of lefty hitters tending to hit opposite pitching better, and in that vein how great would Miggy be if he were just a lefty?

The Tigers added the pieces they did, they needed a LOT of pieces. Could they have done better? Maybe, but they probably would've had to give up more than they were willing to give up.

It is easy to say, "mmeh, they needed more lefties." Sure, that is right for Nick, McCann, but the goal really is to get players that hit both about the same.

But there are 29 other teams out there trying to do the same thing.

That said, it would be nice if Nick hit left, the guy would be AWESOME!

Also, Maybin's splits are light, if his adjustments hold, he is a good pickup.

All that said, yeeaah why right handed batting Mike Aviles exactly?

Gose , Collins , and V-mart are enough and more than capable . The only thing bringing in more lefties would do is create more platoons . And i guess you forget that teams in the latter innings use lefty pitchers to come in and face lefty hitters , forcing the manager to pinch hit .

Id rather have a righty batter that hits lefty pitching well AND righty pitching well instead of a lefty hitter who hits righty pitching well but needs to be pinch hit for against lefties .

We all understand the the concept of lefty hitters tending to hit opposite pitching better, and in that vein how great would Miggy be if he were just a lefty?

The Tigers added the pieces they did, they needed a LOT of pieces. Could they have done better? Maybe, but they probably would've had to give up more than they were willing to give up.

It is easy to say, "mmeh, they needed more lefties." Sure, that is right for Nick, McCann, but the goal really is to get players that hit both about the same.

But there are 29 other teams out there trying to do the same thing.

That said, it would be nice if Nick hit left, the guy would be AWESOME!

Also, Maybin's splits are light, if his adjustments hold, he is a good pickup.

All that said, yeeaah why right handed batting Mike Aviles exactly?

I want(ed) just one LHH who can hit. That's a start.

It's also not a coincidence that of you take almost anybodys list of the top 10 greatest hitters in MLB history nearly every one of them is a LHH.

It's also funny that many of the leagues LHH's are actually not left handed, seems like there must be some incentive to bat lefty....but I guess it's a mystery.

Id rather have a righty batter that hits lefty pitching well AND righty pitching well instead of a lefty hitter who hits righty pitching well but needs to be pinch hit for against lefties .

You make the assumption that a RHH can hit equally well from both sides, but a LHH cant hit LHP at all.

This is false.

It's also not a coincidence that of you take almost anybodys list of the top 10 greatest hitters in MLB history nearly every one of them is a LHH.

It's also funny that many of the leagues LHH's are actually not left handed, seems like there must be some incentive to bat lefty....but I guess it's a mystery.

You guys get so worked up about the dumbest stuff that you dont even pay attention to what is being posted . The post was about the tigers team

I am a left handed hitter myself , but i write righty and throw righty and i actually golf righty too . So stay on topic , it was about the tigers needs , not who the greatest hitters ever are lol

You guys get so worked up about the dumbest stuff that you dont even pay attention to what is being posted . The post was about the tigers team

I am a left handed hitter myself , but i write righty and throw righty and i actually golf righty too . So stay on topic , it was about the tigers needs , not who the greatest hitters ever are lol

You were the one who starting this moronic argument by not understanding the concept of wanting a lefty bat. All that has followed was just people trying to educate you since you clearly could not grasp the concept in the first place.

And the Tigers lineup could very much use a lefty power bat, but we didn't get one so the point is moot.

You were the one who starting this moronic argument by not understanding the concept of wanting a lefty bat. All that has followed was just people trying to educate you since you clearly could not grasp the concept in the first place.

And the Tigers lineup could very much use a lefty power bat, but we didn't get one so the point is moot.

Could use one and NEED one are two different things . Im not the one who started throwing a hissy fit about how we must have more lefties . I simply said i dont understand why people are obsessed with us having to get more lefties , you guys went off like psycho's about it hahaha .....all good , do your thing big guy .

I was 7 going on 8 and self taught myself to switch hit. I wanted to be like Mickey Mantle. Natural righty bat with power, more slap to LF batting lefty.

As long as ausmus puts the right player in the lineup by looking at batter vs. pitcher splits, I don't care about the many RH batters.

I was 7 going on 8 and self taught myself to switch hit. I wanted to be like Mickey Mantle. Natural righty bat with power, more slap to LF batting lefty.

As long as ausmus puts the right player in the lineup by looking at batter vs. pitcher splits, I don't care about the many RH batters.

Nice , my pops taught me at an early age to be a switch hitter , i didnt do much of it in hghschool cause lefty pitchers werent that good haha . But in college it really payed off . Thats why i now Golf righty , even tho lefty is more natural . I can golf alot better righty .

Could use one and NEED one are two different things . Im not the one who started throwing a hissy fit about how we must have more lefties . I simply said i dont understand why people are obsessed with us having to get more lefties , you guys went off like psycho's about it hahaha .....all good , do your thing big guy .

When someone reveals a substantial knowledge void, the natural inclination is to fill it.

The phrase, "I don't understand," is a significant part of your lexicon.

Back