Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Avila should focus most of his resources into the minor system after this offseason.

LKP?
The Tigers Forum? I used to post there, but I'm not into that board; it is dominated by a couple of toolboxes and not really moderated that well. There were a couple of good posters, and I guess I should check in on it once in awhile to see what they have to say...

Last edited:
LKP?
The Tigers Forum? I used to post there, but I'm not into that board; it is dominated by a couple of toolboxes and not really moderated that well. There were a couple of good posters, and I guess I should check in on it once in awhile to see what they have to say...

You're on the Tigers board.

So, "LKP"?
Little Kitten Presenter?
Long Kong Ponger?
Lose King Pardoner?
Lax Killer Pugilist?
Lake Kan of Patagonia?
Leslie Kathy Paterson?
Links Kansas to Pennsylvania?
Light Knowledge Professor?
Let Kentucky Perish?
List Kitchen Patrol?
Lord Khan Persists?

Last edited:
LKP on the Tigers board?

Jack has better grammar and while he's definitely got that Kool Aid IV going straight to his heart, I think he is more receptive to those that disagree with him. LKP was a troll to the end.

So, "LKP"?

He is/was in the Lions forum and despite evidence to the contrary, was always an optimist/apologist when it came to the Lions, especially Stafford. (i.e. Stafford will pass for another 5,000 yards. The Lions will win the Super Bowl, etc, etc).

In almost every area you cited the Tigers improved, I could show statistically where that isn't the case. But I wouldn't dare, because it would fall on deaf ears.

Without evidence, anyone can claim the world is flat and it is just their opinion. And because I said it was flat isn't proof. Statistics is at least a basis to form a reasoned argument. Saying it is the "eye test" isn't.

Jack has better grammar and while he's definitely got that Kool Aid IV going straight to his heart, I think he is more receptive to those that disagree with him. LKP was a troll to the end.

June 3rd. He comes back. Are you ready? Though I suspect it to be a very short homecoming.

Thanks

Linux Kernel Personality?
Lake Placed Airport?

Hahaha.

I'd like to think I'm Koolaid light. Really what that is about is the fact that I don't know much about other teams, and don't have the time or inclination to pay too much attention to them. I glance at rival rosters and surface stats to compare to the Tigers, but not nearly enough to have a realistic perspective of the Tigers. That said, I do think the Tigers are in pretty good shape this year, not as flashy good as last year but with more depth, balance, and potential than last year. So far, I like the philosophy that Al Avila has been following.
I think, if things break their way, they should be a contender, no matter what they are a playoff capable team.
But...

1. JV could never quite be a true #1 ace again
  2. Zimmer could collapse in the AL and as a sign of his coming decline
  3. Sanchez might be done
  4. Norris might flame out
  5. Pelfrey could just get blown up
  6. Greene could be ruined
  7. Boyd isn't great and doesn't get better
  8. K-Rod is done
  9. Lowe/Wilsons/Hardy get studied and blown up.
  10. Maybin gets hurt again and collapses
  11. JD regresses
  12. Nick regresses
  13. Iggy regresses
  14. Kinsler drops off a cliff because old
  15. V-Mart is done because old
  16. Miggy's power is gone, being hurt was the only reason he was doing well
  17. Upton's last season was a sign of things to come and can't hit for power in Comerca
  18. Ausmus crumbles under the pressure.
But, Spring is the season of optimism, even though, maybe it will bring the plague, as it did in "my" lifetime (for the record, I have never been nor am I anyone but me. Jack Cade the 14 century rebel and Shakespeare villain.)

And I don't give two dry-farts and a sneeze about football.

Last edited:
He is/was in the Lions forum and despite evidence to the contrary, was always an optimist/apologist when it came to the Lions, especially Stafford. (i.e. Stafford will pass for another 5,000 yards. The Lions will win the Super Bowl, etc, etc).

In almost every area you cited the Tigers improved, I could show statistically where that isn't the case. But I wouldn't dare, because it would fall on deaf ears.

Without evidence, anyone can claim the world is flat and it is just their opinion. And because I said it was flat isn't proof. Statistics is at least a basis to form a reasoned argument. Saying it is the "eye test" isn't.

Above all else, the Lions suck, have sucked and always will suck. Anyone who believes anything different is either young or has a learning disability either way they shouldn't be mocked for their foolish belief. hahahaha

Rebbiv, so if we sat down over a beer or coffee and dug into the stats together, and contextualized them rigorously and exhaustively over the course of a few days or even week or so, I think that we'd find that
First, the differences aren't that great on either side and that in many cases the stats are inconclusive.
Second, that we would both whole hardheartedly agree that stats are both useful and severely limited
Third, that not everything I said was wrong. Don't dig in, I'm absolutely not going to dig into this. I suspect that if I did you'd be shocked to find out quite how adroitly I can wield stats. (This is not Thomas Hobbes v Robert Boyle part II.) I just don't have much interest in doing that. I've glanced over the numbers, I'm content with my conclusions, as limited as they are.

I want to make a quick statement in my defense, my ears are not deaf to stats, and I do not follow an eye test. Mine is more of a holistic outlook.
My dismissal of your deployment of stats is because I recognize in the technique (whether intentional on your part or not) essentially an effort to (A) move the terms of the debate to your "home" turf (this might just be a well intentioned effort to get after truth) and (B) escalate the terms in such away that if I or anyone else does not follow we fail (again, you may not be doing this on purpose as a cold blooded technique, but that is the effect).

What I would strongly recommend is that rather than clubbing folks over the head with numbers that you explore their claim to strengthen your own position. Maybe even try to prove points you don't agree with to see if they are viable, then say, but I see it this way... that would be pretty bad ass if you ask me. But, maybe you don't want to spend that kind of time on it, and I completely understand.

For instance, the Upton v. Cespedes debate. You'd say, I take it, that Cespedes is unquestionably superior. But the pros (Al Avila, etc.) seem to disagree with you. Why? Rhetorically, it is a much stronger if you address your opponent's objections rather than ignoring or dismissing them (as I have your stats, hahaha, yes a bit hypocritical but I'm not claiming to be the expert or anything close).

Anyway, I'm not trying to tell you how to post on the internet.

So, I'm curious what'd the dude do to get banned?

Last edited:
Above all else, the Lions suck, have sucked and always will suck. Anyone who believes anything different is either young or has a learning disability either way they shouldn't be mocked for their foolish belief. hahahaha

Rebbiv, so if we sat down over a beer or coffee and dug into the stats together, and contextualized them rigorously and exhaustively over the course of a few days or even week or so, I think that we'd find that
First, the differences aren't that great on either side and that in many cases the stats are inconclusive.
Second, that we would both whole hardheartedly agree that stats are both useful and severely limited
Third, that not everything I said was wrong. Don't dig in, I'm absolutely not going to dig into this. I suspect that if I did you'd be shocked to find out quite how adroitly I can wield stats. (This is not Thomas Hobbes v Robert Boyle part II.) I just don't have much interest in doing that. I've glanced over the numbers, I'm content with my conclusions, as limited as they are.

I want to make a quick statement in my defense, my ears are not deaf to stats, and I do not follow an eye test. Mine is more of a holistic outlook.
My dismissal of your deployment of stats is because I recognize in the technique (whether intentional on your part or not) essentially an effort to (A) move the terms of the debate to your "home" turf (this might just be a well intentioned effort to get after truth) and (B) escalate the terms in such away that if I or anyone else does not follow we fail (again, you may not be doing this on purpose as a cold blooded technique, but that is the effect).

What I would strongly recommend is that rather than clubbing folks over the head with numbers that you explore their claim to strengthen your own position. Maybe even try to prove points don't agree with to see if they are viable, then say, but I see it this way... that would be pretty bad ass if you ask me. But, maybe you don't want to spend that kind of time on it, and I completely understand.

For instance, the Upton v. Cespedes debate. You'd say, I take it that Cespedes is unquestionably superior. But the pros (Al Avila, etc.) seem to disagree with you. Why? Rhetorically, it is a much stronger if you address your opponent's objections rather than ignoring them.

Anyway, I'm not trying to tell you how to post on the internet.

So, I'm curious what'd the dude do to get banned?

Obviously, these same baseball people though Alfredo Simon, Joel Hannrahan and/or Jacques Jones were the answer. The fact that some GM or manager spouts that a player is good (i.e. Torey Lovullo) does not make it so.

Statistics are a historical representation of what happened. Stats are either illustrative (AVG, HR, RBI, and SB) or predictive (RC, BB%, LD%, and BABIP). Most everyone understands what illustrative stats are. In my observation/discussion with others on this board, few fully understand what predictive stats are.

There is a reason that more and more baseball teams are employing analytics. And now, supposedly, the Tigers are this year.

Now after citing all of this, I will be the first one to say that every stat has it's bias. Some great, some not so great. And a certain set of metrics/analystics might be 98% predictive, it isn't 100%. There will be career aberrations, either for the good or bad.

Smarter sabermatics than me have studied the historical data and published white paper after white paper. Even I don't believe everything that is conveyed.

This is a message board. The appeal is the debate. People are expected to voice their opinion and then defend that position. Most that have run ins with me take the eye test position, which is almost undefinable. Yet, when confronted with statistical analysis, they attack the messenger rather than debating the merits of the stats used. And then there are others who never express an opinion, they just ridicule the opinions of others.

You have even used the Tigers aren't in the same as the Phillies. To me, that is purely a subjective position and isn't founded by objective data.

0tCz6ZJ.gif

Obviously, these same baseball people though Alfredo Simon, Joel Hannrahan and/or Jacques Jones were the answer. The fact that some GM or manager spouts that a player is good (i.e. Torey Lovullo) does not make it so.

Mmm, hard to say how much was Dave Dombrowski, right? Also, very few people were enthused by any of those players, I know I wasn't. I think the DD-era can be described as flash surrounded my mediocrity with a fringe of neglect.

Statistics are a historical representation of what happened. Stats are either illustrative (AVG, HR, RBI, and SB) or predictive (RC, BB%, LD%, and BABIP). Most everyone understands what illustrative stats are. In my observation/discussion with others on this board, few fully understand what predictive stats are.

True enough. I think the bigger issue with "predictive stats" is that they are only half, no not half, the story. Inside the numbers are always technique, personality, and an infinity of other factors both large and small that affect those numbers. Even if the results conform to a mean the possibility of exceeding the mean is the story for me. Also, often the mean is based upon non-statistical, fuzzy stuff.

Let me ask you this, where were you on the JV? Were you in the camp of he's done? Or did you see through the noise to the signal?
Where are you on him next year and why?

There is a reason that more and more baseball teams are employing analytics. And now, supposedly, the Tigers are this year.

The Tigers have said they are, they have a high profile hire, why the non-rational "supposedly"--this is clearly an indication of bias and bias is the enemy of statistical facts.

Now after citing all of this, I will be the first one to say that every stat has it's bias. Some great, some not so great. And a certain set of metrics/analystics might be 98% predictive, it isn't 100%. There will be career aberrations, either for the good or bad.

Smarter sabermatics than me have studied the historical data and published white paper after white paper. Even I don't believe everything that is conveyed.

Yeah, I have a healthy respect for the human thumb on the scale: observer bias and the fallibility of humans. I think our current obsession with measuring through numbers could ruin us if it were to last for another few generations. But it has reached its peak, and like the tide, will recede and achieve equilibrium with other sorts of human knowledge formations.

This is a message board. The appeal is the debate. People are expected to voice their opinion and then defend that position. Most that have run ins with me take the eye test position, which is almost undefinable. Yet, when confronted with statistical analysis, they attack the messenger rather than debating the merits of the stats used. And then there are others who never express an opinion, they just ridicule the opinions of others.

You have even used the Tigers aren't in the same as the Phillies. To me, that is purely a subjective position and isn't founded by objective data.

Subjective does not = wrong, although, I think my case was pretty clearly not pure opinion but based in easily verifiable facts.

First, the Phillies have a $100mil payroll, the Tigers have a $200mil+ payroll. If the Phillies spent $100mil on payroll they'd have at least a competitive team if not a pretty good team. The Tigers and Ilitch have demonstrated their willing spend and ability to spend, in general, effectively more often than not.

Second, the Phillies ownership is not stable, nor does it have the sort of wealth Mike Ilitch has, they also do not seem to have his commitment (the man played baseball professionally as a young man and is a keen sports fan, he owns two sports franchises).

Third, geographically, the Phillies face significantly greater competition for fans (viewership and attendance) and while the population density on the east coast is greater, I suspect, just giving it a quick gloss, that this still means they have a slightly smaller fan base than the Tigers can count on.

Fourth, compare the Phillies high dollar players that brought them to the pit of despair to the Tigers high dollar players.

These are not that subjective but instead are pretty objectively factual statements, either easily proven or provable.

Finally, I will add that yes this is a location of debate, but if Nate Silver came here he'd win every argument he got into. But that wouldn't necessarily be because he is so much smarter, right? But because he can bring greater fire-power to bare easier than the rest of us and he'd be willing to do so because it is sort of his job. My point is, that escalation of a debate is a way to win it when your opponent has other things they'd rather do, not that I'm accusing you of doing that.

Last edited:
Mmm, hard to say how much was Dave Dombrowski, right? Also, very few people were enthused by any of those players, I know I wasn't. I think the DD-era can be described as flash surrounded my mediocrity with a fringe of neglect.

True enough. I think the bigger issue with "predictive stats" is that they are only half, no not half, the story. Inside the numbers are always technique, personality, and an infinity of other factors both large and small that affect those numbers. Even if the results conform to a mean the possibility of exceeding the mean is the story for me. Also, often the mean is based upon non-statistical, fuzzy stuff.

Let me ask you this, where were you on the JV? Were you in the camp of he's done? Or did you see through the noise to the signal?
Where are you on him next year and why?

The Tigers have said they are, they have a high profile hire, why the non-rational "supposedly"--this is clearly an indication of bias and bias is the enemy of statistical facts.

Yeah, I have a healthy respect for the human thumb on the scale: observer bias and the fallibility of humans. I think our current obsession with measuring through numbers could ruin us if it were to last for another few generations. But it has reached its peak, and like the tide, will recede and achieve equilibrium with other sorts of human knowledge formations.

Subjective does not = wrong, although, I think my case was pretty clearly not pure opinion but based in easily verifiable facts.

First, the Phillies have a $100mil payroll, the Tigers have a $200mil+ payroll. If the Phillies spent $100mil on payroll they'd have at least a competitive team if not a pretty good team. The Tigers and Ilitch have demonstrated their willing spend and ability to spend, in general, effectively more often than not.

Second, the Phillies ownership is not stable, nor does it have the sort of wealth Mike Ilitch has, they also do not seem to have his commitment (the man played baseball professionally as a young man and is a keen sports fan, he owns two sports franchises).

Third, geographically, the Phillies face significantly greater competition for fans (viewership and attendance) and while the population density on the east coast is greater, I suspect, just giving it a quick gloss, that this still means they have a slightly smaller fan base than the Tigers can count on.

Fourth, compare the Phillies high dollar players that brought them to the pit of despair to the Tigers high dollar players.

These are not that subjective but instead are pretty objectively factual statements, either easily proven or provable.

Finally, I will add that yes this is a location of debate, but if Nate Silver came here he'd win every argument he got into. But that wouldn't necessarily be because he is so much smarter, right? But because he can bring greater fire-power to bare easier than the rest of us and he'd be willing to do so because it is sort of his job. My point is, that escalation of a debate is a way to win it when your opponent has other things they'd rather do, not that I'm accusing you of doing that.

It is pointless to discuss anything with you. You fundamentally do not understand baseball statistics. You fail to see the similarities in the Phillies plight and how it correlates to where Detroit is at. And you tend to bloviate, which looses my interest.

Back