Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tribute to Moneyball

iamthetutor

(which will be coming out soon as a movie, starring Brad Pitt)

What's your perfect moneyball team?

1b Billy Butler
2b Freddy Sanchez
SS Jamey Carrell
3b Chase Headley
LF Josh Willingham
CF Shane Victoria
RF Kosuke Fukudome
DH Casey Kotchman

iamthetutor said:

1b Billy Butler
2b Freddy Sanchez
SS Jamey Carrell
3b Chase Headley
LF Josh Willingham
CF Shane Victoria
RF Kosuke Fukudome
DH Casey Kotchman

What are the guidelines?

Beez said:
iamthetutor said:

1b Billy Butler
2b Freddy Sanchez
SS Jamey Carrell
3b Chase Headley
LF Josh Willingham
CF Shane Victoria
RF Kosuke Fukudome
DH Casey Kotchman

What are the guidelines?

Have you read "Moneyball?"

I have not. I know what it is (I think), just not sure what the cap for each player/team is.

Beez said:
I have not. I know what it is (I think), just not sure what the cap for each player/team is.

moneyball is the story about the A's and how they were able to assemble a good team with low payroll. So basically, he wants you to put together a team of the best/lowest paid/underappreciated players.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
Beez said:

moneyball is the story about the A's and how they were able to assemble a good team with low payroll. So basically, he wants you to put together a team of the best/lowest paid/underappreciated players.

Right, like I said I know what it is..i just figured there would be a guidline...like X amount of money or under makes it a moneyball team.

ahhh, i don't know. he left the rules kind of vague.

hmmm I kinda wanna give it a shot but it seems like it would take some time. Making sure the guy you list doesnt get paid more than you think n stuff.

I mean Ichrio may not fit the profile but I sure do like his lifetime .378 OBP.. Plus like 10 years in a row of 200 hits.... Nothing wrong about his numbers...

not to be critical guy out here by kosuke is making like 13 million this year.....

I think you can find better production for that kind of money

The essence of Moneyball, is to find a trait not often looked at in the market. In the A's case, they went with high OBP/good plate discipline hitters. Being in a pitcher's park, scoring runs come from getting on base and not necessarily from power. They also choose low salary/under team control hitters. For the most part, factoring salary and good OBP/plate discipline, the list above is not what BB would do.

Scott Sizemore is an excellent example of a pick up BB would make. High OBP/walk rate both in the majors and minors; and is under team control for a few years.

The essence of Moneyball, is to find a trait not often looked at in the market. In the A's case, they went with high OBP/good plate discipline hitters. Being in a pitcher's park, scoring runs come from getting on base and not necessarily from power. They also choose low salary/under team control hitters. For the most part, factoring salary and good OBP/plate discipline, the list above is not what BB would do.

Scott Sizemore is an excellent example of a pick up BB would make. High OBP/walk rate both in the majors and minors; and is under team control for a few years.

Yes Rebbiv that is why I still hate the Sizemore trade... DD whiffed on that on...

rebbiv said:

My "LIST" before you dog it is a list of underrated players with great OBPs. My team salary, even with Fukodume, would be extremely low.

LOL .....go Moneyball ( sabermetrics )

Scott Sizemore ......SMH .

Iamthetutor even listed exactly what so called moneyball is all about . Low salary / good OBP ....but he still gets dogged hahaha

Back