Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jarrod Dyson: O's almost out of fight

Like 2006 in reverse, misses division title and gets in as a WC and smokes the competition to get to the WS. Now if they lose 4-1 to the Cardinals then it'd be an exact replica. Exact reverse replica.

'06 Tigers didn't sweep the Yankees in the ALDS. The similarities are that they got in as a WC, 1 game behind the division-winning Tigers who led the CD for most of the '06 season but ceded the title to the Twins by losing the final 2 games of that season to the Royals The Twins then were swept by the A's in 3 games in their ALDS. The Tigers then swept the A's in the ALCS.

The Royals who have yet to lose a playoff game this postseason, had to win 1 more game than the '06 Tigers to win the AL Pennant, b/c of the 1 WC game, that didn't exist in '06.

Can Royals Become 1st Undefeated Championin Modern MLB Postseason History?

The closest any MLB team has come to sweeping all of their postseason opponents in the WC era was likely the '05 White Sox, who went 11-1, losing a game in the ALCS to the Angels.

Last edited:
Top to bottom. Tigers have a few stars that are better but once you get past those guys it is all KC.

We has better SP by a good bit. We had better offense by far. They had a far better bullpen. Defensive impact is minimal. Benches were equal, nobody of any real value.

We were a better team hands down. But like has been stated already, once you make it to October, that's irrelevant. Anyone can win if they get on a hot streak.

I disagree about the impact of defense, I read that their defense was about a HUNDRED runs better than ours over the season because theirs was so good and ours was so bad. All playoffs long they've been making huge defensive plays, and the impact is minimal? Its anything but minimal in the playoffs. Just look at the '06 Tigers in the WS.

I wholeheartedly agree though: on the whole, we are a much better team. HOWEVER: their strengths (defense, bullpen, starting pitching) more than covered their weaknesses (primarily offense, especially OBP, complete dumbass manager, and USUALLY power, though they've gotten a lucky hot streak in that department), and they had a shitload more luck than we did. For us, our strengths (starting pitching, offense) faltered/played mediocrely while our weaknesses like the defense (which hurt us), and the bullpen (which fucking imploded spectacularly), and not-quite-as-dumb-as-ned-yost-but-still-incredibly-stupid-manager killed us. We were the better team, but they have gotten lucky, gotten hot, and played WAY better. Mediocre teams sometimes reach/win the WS, again look at '06 and those motherfucking cards.

Last edited:
Kansas City is not a better team than us, and they were not "constructed" to be a winner either, they just got hot at the right time. The same can be said for the 2012 Giants, and the 2006 Cardinals.

So is that the secret of construction? Constructing the team that's going to get hot at the right time?

So after last season you thought that the Tigers should have brought back Peralta & Benoit? Not in hindsight....but after the ALCS?

No for Peralta, but yes for Benoit.

Peralta was going to turn down a QA, which was more than I believe he was worth. But Benoit should have been kept. Only small brained people looked at the GS in the ALCS as a reason. He was the best pitcher in our bullpen, and one of the best in baseball, and we never even made him an offer I believe.

No for Peralta, but yes for Benoit.

Peralta was going to turn down a QA, which was more than I believe he was worth. But Benoit should have been kept. Only small brained people looked at the GS in the ALCS as a reason. He was the best pitcher in our bullpen, and one of the best in baseball, and we never even made him an offer I believe.

I could have seen bringing Benoit back but not as the closer. He choked in post season last year.

I thought they should have gave JP the Q.O...which he would have turned down. Maybe DD wasn't willing to take the gamble....of course in hindsight it would have been a good thing either way.

I could have seen bringing Benoit back but not as the closer. He choked in post season last year.

I thought they should have gave JP the Q.O...which he would have turned down. Maybe DD wasn't willing to take the gamble....of course in hindsight it would have been a good thing either way.

That's the small brained stuff I was talking about. Let's make season long decisions based on 2-3 games worth of data. :ashamed:

That's the small brained stuff I was talking about. Let's make season long decisions based on 2-3 games worth of data. :ashamed:

Ignoring it is pretty stupid. Look at his career...he was never a closer. He did it for one year and when the pressure was greatest he choked. Notice not one team signed him to be a closer? I guess you are smarter than everybody in baseball.

So after last season you thought that the Tigers should have brought back Peralta & Benoit? Not in hindsight....but after the ALCS?

I wanted them both back, yes. Link. That was almost a year ago.

Last edited:
After the ASG, KC played .603 ball, so the Royals have been hot for a while now.

Ignoring it is pretty stupid. Look at his career...he was never a closer. He did it for one year and when the pressure was greatest he choked. Notice not one team signed him to be a closer? I guess you are smarter than everybody in baseball.

That's just being dumb.

I didn't say he had to be our closer, though he would have been fine if he did.

I'm saying not re-signing him because of his 2013 playoffs (like you suggested) is stupid. Benoit in our bullpen, in whatever role, would have greatly increased our bullpens effectiveness.

Every series, every game, and every play in the playoffs is far greater in magnitude and importance than the 162 regular season schedule. One slip up on defense, or one bullpen choke (we have had several), and your hopes can go down the toilet.

I agree with the general consensus that over the long haul of 162 games, the bullpen and defense are probably not as impactful than your offense and starting pitching. However when you get down to a 5 or 7 game series, those other things DO become vastly more important. This is back to back postseasons where the bullpen has been a major contributor to the Tigers downfall.

The Royals have not been blowing their close leads late in games. I don't know why Detroit can't ever seem to get that shut down bullpen, but we sure could use it. Really disappointed that Soria did not work out most of all, as I thought he would be a major boost.

I can't blame him a ton given that he got injured for most of the 2nd half and then got horribly misused by our moronic manager when he wasnt injured.

Back