Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Minor League Notes

Last edited:
Last edited:
http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?cid=&lid=&org=116&sc=&sid=milb&t=affiliate&ymd=20170812
Detroit Tigers Affiliates Scoreboard for Saturday, August 12, 2017.
MILB.com

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...tigers-beau-burrows-erie-seawolves/104540786/
Tigers minors: Beau Burrows pitches no-hitter through six for Erie.
Freep

Pitching deeper into the season than he ever has before, Beau Burrows continues to get better. Burrows, Detroit's No. 4 prospect (No. 95 overall), was untouchable on Saturday as he tossed six hitless innings with eight strikeouts and two walks to pace Double-A Erie in an 11-0 rout of New Hampshire.

"It was definitely a dominant performance," Erie pitching coach Willie Blair told MiLB.com. "It was probably the most consistent he's been with executing pitches. He located the fastball down in the zone early and on the edges. He then was able to elevate it late. It seemed like his fastball had an extra gear when he got to two strikes. He elevated it and it had a little extra life on it. It was probably the most consistent his breaking stuff has been since I've had him. He's shown times of having breaking balls -- the curveball and the slider. But tonight I think it was a little more consistent."
Burrows began his outing by issuing a leadoff walk, but quickly settled in and retired nine consecutive batters. The 20-year-old righty would allow two more New Hampshire batters to reach base in the outing: one on an infield throwing error in the fourth inning, and the other via a two-out walk in his sixth and final inning of work. Burrows threw 53 of his 86 pitches for strikes in the outing, including first-pitch strikes to 13 of 20 batters, though the Tigers' organization-imposed innings limit kept the young right-hander from returning for the seventh inning.
"It felt so unbelievable," Burrows said. "I wanted to come out for the seventh inning, but I came back to the dugout and they said I was done due to my innings limit. I was a little upset about it, but they gotta do what they gotta do, so I respect their decision. It was just fun to go out there and pitch."

Burrows has a 4.38 ERA with 64 strikeouts in 61 2/3 innings (12 starts) since being promoted for Class A Advanced Lakeland. Including his time in the Florida State League, he has pitched to a 2.84 ERA and 1.20 WHIP, with 126 strikeouts and a .240 batting average against over 120 1/3 innings.

MLB.com

Last edited:
When Matt Manning was featured here in mid-July, he was pitching for short-season Connecticut. Detroit?s 2016 first-round pick was subsequently promoted to low-A West Michigan, and he made his first start for the Whitecaps earlier this week. It didn?t go well. With Tigers GM Al Avila watching, Manning struggled with his command and was pulled after retiring just five of the 11 batters he faced.

If the promising 19-year-old was guilty of overthrowing while attempting to impress the organization?s head honcho, he is reticent to admit it. When I broached the subject with him yesterday, he said there was a rumor floating around that Avila was in the house, but it didn?t affect his performance. He was simply ?excited to go out there and pitch.?

What was the reason for his subpar effort?

?I just didn?t make certain pitches,? said Manning. ?I was behind in counts. It happens. I don?t think the game sped up on me, or anything like that. It was just a different level, a different place ? there were a few moving parts ? but it?s my job to dial that in and throw strikes. It just didn?t happen that day.?
Fangraphs

In 2015, Mike Hessman broke a record, previously held by Buzz Arlett, by hitting his 433rd minor league home run. It was the last of his career, and number 454 overall. He also hit 14 in MLB, six in Japan, and one in the Venezuelan Winter League.

Hessman is now the hitting coach for the West Michigan Whitecaps. I asked him how familiar the players are with his 20-year professional career.

?I don?t know if they know the whole extent ? how long I played ? but they do know about the home run record,? Hessman told me. ?We don?t bring it up too much, but there is some trash talking in baseball, and we like to keep the clubhouse loose, so if I have to pull it out and let them know how many I hit, I?ll put it out.?
Fangraphs

Back