Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Problems with the Tigers

lonesometiger

One of them is pitching tonight.
Justin Verlander at 10-10 and trailing now 3 to 1 against an NL Pittsburgh team. Update make that 4-1. This our Cy Young ace! But really it's his walks to strikeout rato that's a problem. He just is not controlling the pitch zone these days and that a big problem IMHO. Good Grief update too 5-1 gets the second out FCOL!

DET 20-20 in the last 40

Scored 4.45 Runs Per Game

Gave Up 3.88 Runs Per Game

Last edited:
Top 4th: A Avila grounded into double play, second to shortstop to first, J Martinez out at second.

Pitch 1: in play 89 MPH Fastball

Down 8 to 1 and swinging at the 1st pitch.

This happens too often!

Last edited:
Add this
Top 6th: R Davis struck out swinging.

Pitch 3: strike 3 (swinging)

Pitch 2: strike 2 (foul) 93 MPH Sinker

Pitch 1: strike 1 (bunted foul) 93 MPH Sinker

Dumb expanding the zone! Did not try to take a pitch.

Verlander to get MRI now. This could turn into the mother of all bad contracts for the Tigers.

Verlander to get MRI now. This could turn into the mother of all bad contracts for the Tigers.

of course it will. It's likely that Miggy's will be terrible as well. Too bad the Tigers aren't business savvy enough to use these guys while they are in their prime then let them go before they start to decline.

I know the Tigers have sucked recently, but I think everybody is getting panicky now that the Royals have caught back up in the standings. We've still got a rotation headed by Price, Scherzer, and Porcello. That's as good or better than any other 1-2-3 in the league. We've still got Miggy and VMart anchoring the middle of the lineup. We're down a half game with one fewer played than the Royals. Sure, it's been a bad week with Sanchez, Soria, and JV going out and the Tigers losing a few bad games in ugly ways, but it's a long season. I'm not ready to bet on the Royals and against the Tigers. I just don't see KC outplaying us the rest of the way. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I just see too many weapons on our roster to think otherwise.

Of course we are getting panicky. It's August, and a team that the Tigers were just up on by 8 games has passed them. You don't panic in June about this stuff, but now is the time to start worrying.

Unless you picked them to revisit the ALCS or World Series, there's no reason to worry. I picked them to lose in the ALDS and I still have faith we will enter the playoffs.

Sorry, I just think it's weird to not be concerned at this point in the season. When you have an 8 game lead on someone, you don't relinquish that in a matter of weeks. Kansas City is on an absolute tear, and the Tigers are losing every bit of momentum they had.

Sorry, I just think it's weird to not be concerned at this point in the season. When you have an 8 game lead on someone, you don't relinquish that in a matter of weeks. Kansas City is on an absolute tear, and the Tigers are losing every bit of momentum they had.
I'm concerned, but still confident that we'll win the division. After that, all bets are off. Our team is better built for the playoffs than the regular season, so I'm still confident that we can go deep or win it all if/when we get in.

If they don't win this division, it will be a bigger let down than the Lions imploding last season.

Blowing this lead just shows the lack of depth we have in all areas.... Hopefully Ray and Framer will dial up some gem.. With a 162 million payroll this team has to win it all or get close... The damn Fister deal still haunting us...

Last edited:
If they don't win this division, it will be a bigger let down than the Lions imploding last season.

I wasn't let down because I fully expect the Lions to disappoint and to do so in a big way. They've conditioned me to expect that. LOL!

Blowing this lead just shows the lack of depth we have in all areas.... Hopefully Ray and Framer will dial up some gem.. With a 162 million payroll this team has to win it all or get close... The damn Fister deal still haunting us...

We went over 170, with our last acquisition.
Fister shouldn't be haunting us. If you look more closely at the face, it's Joe Nathan.

I'm concerned, but still confident that we'll win the division. After that, all bets are off. Our team is better built for the playoffs than the regular season, so I'm still confident that we can go deep or win it all if/when we get in.

I'll have to disagree for one major reason: the offense. Success for our offense is heavily dependent on BA and BABIP since we dont work a ton of counts and dont walk a huge amount. When our BABIP and BA dips, our offense crashes and burns, like it is right now, but when theyre both high we go on a tear. Thats why we can be so inconsistent but be at or near the top of most of the offensive categories.

In the postseason, when we're facing good pitching more consistently, our BA is more likely to crash than it is to explode, resulting in what we saw last year: a nonexistant offense and an exit from the playoffs despite generally sterling pitching all around. Our ridiculous rotation wont help a bit if the offense cant score any runs.

Of course, the bullpen still sucks too, but if starters are going deep then the soft underbelly wont be as much of a concern because if we're lucky, none of them will be pitching. If guys like Whelan are pitching in the playoffs, that game is likely already lost by then.

TL;DR Our team is built to win in the regular season and we CAN win in the postseason if we get lucky and the bats get hot, but I am expecting an early exit in the ALDS regardless of who we play because the bats likely will get cold.

Back