Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Boston is in desperation mode when it comes to pitching. With Samardzija and Liriano off the market, the price for Porcello is going up. Let's hope that Dombrowski can work some of his magic.

Scherzer, Lester, Shields, McCarthy, Santana, Kuroda, Peavy, Hammel are all still free agents. The Price for Porcello is not going up with the signing of Lirano. Samardzija was a trade.

I don't know why anyone wants to trade the young guy who keeps on improving so bad? If anyone, I'd keep RP over all the rest..

True, that money could do a lot for the bullpen and bench

I wish that their only problem was finding guys for the bench. We have Gose and Rajai starting in the outfield right now. Don Kelly will probably get 400 at bats on this team.

Scherzer, Lester, Shields, McCarthy, Santana, Kuroda, Peavy, Hammel are all still free agents. The Price for Porcello is not going up with the signing of Lirano. Samardzija was a trade.

Boston has Joe Kelly and Buchholz as their rotation right now.

Our OF sucks. Not one good player in the bunch. Not a stretch to say worst OF in MLB. Also, 3B can't play defense, SS can't hit, 2B can't take a walk and our C is going to be dead..

I don't know why anyone wants to trade the young guy who keeps on improving so bad? If anyone, I'd keep RP over all the rest..

I am with you...why sign a 30-31 year old when you can sign a 26 year old for less money. Now granted...Price and Scherzer are better and more proven but at what cost?

Our OF sucks. Not one good player in the bunch. Not a stretch to say worst OF in MLB. Also, 3B can't play defense, SS can't hit, 2B can't take a walk and our C is going to be dead..

On the bright side they have a former Cy Young winner with a 4.5 ERA and $28M contract, a 40 year old closer with a 4.8 ERA for $10M, a stud 1B with a broken foot that is locked in for about $280M and the worst farm system in MLB.

Merry Christmas!

On the bright side they have a former Cy Young winner with a 4.5 ERA and $28M contract, a 40 year old closer with a 4.8 ERA for $10M, a stud 1B with a broken foot that is locked in for about $280M and the worst farm system in MLB.

Merry Christmas!

Your post really started to get me down...but the Merry Christmas makes everything better

They gave Miggy and JV those HUGE contract extensions 2 years BEFORE they hit free agency...I think we all know that they are idiots!

Nothing was wrong with doing that at the time. Still not really.

The problem is we can't afford to add any similar contracts. (AKA Price or Scherzer)

It's about selling high. If we trade him now, we might get something useful in return, but if we let him go to free agency, we end up in the same boat as we are with Scherzer, trying to decide if it's going to be worth signing him for the money he's going to want, or just let him go for a comp pick.

I like Rick, always have, but for the right trade I'll help pack his bags.

I'm fine with Price, Sanchez, JV, RP and the new guy going into the season. Why not spend some money and get a bat..

What FA bat? We already signed VMart. Not much out there for FA bats, so we'll probably need to get one via trade.

Not telling you that I necessarily agree with where things may be going, but I can at least follow the rationale. A full year of Price and a presumably healthier JV and Sanchez would make our rotation look a hell of a lot better than it did post-Price trade last year. Max would be an unnecessary luxury beyond that which could only be partially justified through trading a less skilled pitcher (Porcello or Sanchez?) away to cover another area of need not out there in FA (i.e., corner OF bat and/or good young pitching). DD is betting big on winning a WS in the next season or two. If we do, great, mission accomplished and you can start to unwind things after that. If not, it will get ugly at some point.

It's about selling high. If we trade him now, we might get something useful in return, but if we let him go to free agency, we end up in the same boat as we are with Scherzer, trying to decide if it's going to be worth signing him for the money he's going to want, or just let him go for a comp pick.

I like Rick, always have, but for the right trade I'll help pack his bags.

Problem is what we might get? I don't want older guys, prospects are an unknown. I mean I'm all for the right deal..but I think others under value RP.

Id take Scherzer if we can get some real nice prospects for Porcello. With the new tv deals every team will be spending money more freely.

The Tigers are on the verge of becoming the AL version of the Phillies with all of these massive contracts, especially if they give Scherzer a big deal.

Merry Christmas!

You got to this before I did . The bad is your right!
The real bad is what you left off. Tigers have a DH that runs not as fast as I do to the rest room. And his fielding days are waving bye bye. And now he's locked up for 4 years.

You got to this before I did . The bad is your right!
The real bad is what you left off. Tigers have a DH that runs not as fast as I do to the rest room. And his fielding days are waving bye bye. And now he's locked up for 4 years.

You just pointed out exactly why he's an ideal DH.

Nothing was wrong with doing that at the time. Still not really.

The problem is we can't afford to add any similar contracts. (AKA Price or Scherzer)

Hammer nail head. HAmmer nail head. HAMmer nail head. But it's just not similar contracts. It's support players/bench, and solid relief pitchers as well. Without support players no team can win.
Remember MJ and the Bulls were non contenders until the Bulls got support players around the best basketball player in the NBA!

The 1978 Expos's had one of the best lineups with HOF's in it. But there bench was like filled with wormhole boards.

I think DD will pull off another block buster that will make us the favorites

I'm not sure I buy that the tigers are still willing to pay for max. Could just be something boris is leaking out there to drive up his price.

Back