Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Miggy has successful ankle surgery...

Thanks team doctors and trainers and everyone who helped decide that he should keep playing (once again) through an injury, just so we can make the postseason at a cost that is yet unknown.

How do they miss a stress fracture? I'm beginning to think our medical staff is somewhat incompetent.

The same way they might have missed Iggy's. Sometimes things that cover the bone cannot be revealed until you go inside and look behind the curtains.

I'm hoping that he can take the necessary time to heal up and come back at 100%. If that's in May, so be it. He's way too important to try to rush him back or have him playing at partial strength.

He's a 31 year old (32 this spring) baseball player that weighs 240 lbs who has played in almost 1900 MLB games. Be prepared for more injuries to come.

One thing this proves, Miggy is the man. How someone can play as well as he had.. In a lot of games with a stress fracture.. Wow.

The same way they might have missed Iggy's. Sometimes things that cover the bone cannot be revealed until you go inside and look behind the curtains.

Not an excuse.

They would have shown on an MRI. Everything I have just read (like 6 articles) suggest it's the best tool for finding stress fractures. So either the team doctors were incompetent in not suggesting one, or the radiologists who read them were incompetent in not finding the fractures.

Or; they knew about them and let him play anyways.

He's a 31 year old (32 this spring) baseball player that weighs 240 lbs who has played in almost 1900 MLB games. Be prepared for more injuries to come.

Will not be surprised, should he not be a full time player at the end of his contract. For that matter Verlander pitching well or starting as well. These two could be real high dollar subs/relief players b/f it's over.

Will not be surprised, should he not be a full time player at the end of his contract. For that matter Verlander pitching well or starting as well. These two could be real high dollar subs/relief players b/f it's over.

Velander won't be a a sub/relief. Imo. 4.5 guys have roles too.. Unless you have a stud staff he'll start.

Not an excuse.

They would have shown on an MRI. Everything I have just read (like 6 articles) suggest it's the best tool for finding stress fractures. So either the team doctors were incompetent in not suggesting one, or the radiologists who read them were incompetent in not finding the fractures.

Or; they knew about them and let him play anyways.

They let him play on it.

From what I've heard, it won't get any worse by playing on it, so really, no sense in resting him during the season.

They let him play on it.

From what I've heard, it won't get any worse by playing on it, so really, no sense in resting him during the season.

Except it delays his recovery. He's out 3-9 months, and if they would have put him on the DL and he had the surgery when they found it, we would have gotten him back for 2015 earlier, and possibly fully healthy at some point.

But instead, we will likely have our 3rd year of Miggy not at 100% because the team is more worried about the playoffs than the health of the best hitter in the game.

It's like having a Ferrari that was in a fender-bender and trying to patch it up with duct tape and saran wrap, so you can drive it for a few more weeks rather than taking it to the body shop right away.

he will be able to do plenty of upper body work and also swimming in the offseason. basketball players with stress fractures stay in shape in the pool, expect Miggy to follow a similar regimen.

It would be nice to see him get his weight under control of course, carrying an extra 50lbs around puts stress on your body

he will be able to do plenty of upper body work and also swimming in the offseason. basketball players with stress fractures stay in shape in the pool, expect Miggy to follow a similar regimen.

It would be nice to see him get his weight under control of course, carrying an extra 50lbs around puts stress on your body

I thought he looked a lot better this year and last. He's never gonna be a slim guy, nor would we really want him to be since it'd probably zap his power. I certainly don't think he's anywhere near 50lbs overweight. Heck, even losing 20lbs would be a lot.

Except it delays his recovery. He's out 3-9 months, and if they would have put him on the DL and he had the surgery when they found it, we would have gotten him back for 2015 earlier, and possibly fully healthy at some point.

But instead, we will likely have our 3rd year of Miggy not at 100% because the team is more worried about the playoffs than the health of the best hitter in the game.

Tigers are paying him 270 million+ for the playoffs or his health? Yea I get it he has to be healthy to play. But for the money they are paying Cabrera, I think it's about the playoffs.

Back