Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Larry Herndon use to

biggunsbob

Be Maco Man Randy Savages roommates when Savage was in the minors...

Savage was signed by the St. Louis Cardinals organization as a catcher out of high school. He was placed in the minor leagues to develop, where he mostly played as an outfielder in the St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds, and Chicago White Sox farm systems. Savage was 18 when he began playing minor league baseball; one of his teammates on the 1971 Gulf Coast League Cardinals was Larry Herndon who was also his roommate.Savage would swing a bat into a hanging car tire as a regular training exercise in order to strengthen his hands and make sure he utilized his legs during swings. The technique was so effective that Herndon adopted it and used it during his own career as a baseball coach. Savage injured his natural (right) throwing shoulder after a collision at home plate, and he learned to throw with his left arm instead. The team was managed by Jimmy Piersall. Savage's last season was 1974, when he played for the Tampa Tarpons. He played 289 games in four minor league seasons, batting .254 with 16 home runs and 66 RBIs

You learn a useless stat every day if you just try a tad..

Last edited:
I never knew Savage was a baseball player.. Jeez what the heck is wrong with me..

Fun story...I read it wrong toward the end...thought I saw Tampa Tampons...

I read about this back when Savage died. Though he was Randy Poffo back in his baseball days.

Jimmy Piersall and Billy Martin got into a fistfight underneath the stands at Fenway Park one time, I read...I think I read that in Mantle's book...

I remember his brother Leaping Lanny Poffo wrestled for a while. He read poetry. Although back then I thought people said they were cousins and not brothers. Didn't have the internet to look this crap up back then.

Last edited:
I remember his brother Leaping Lanny Poffo wrestled for a while. He read poetry. Although back then I thought people said there were cousins and not brothers. Didn't have the internet to look this crap up back then.

I remember that guy. And didn't he change characters? I remember the poetry and then saw him with a different getup..

I decided to look it up. He was Macho's brother and went from face to heel as the Genius. Useless fact of the day.

Last edited:
Back