Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fister Traded, now is retiring from baseball

"world class dominant lights out LHP Ian Krol is."- based on 3.2 innings.

Lol.

Based on 3.2 innings? You consider him lights out after just 3.2 innings? This post might have meant something if the all star break, not April 13..

Compared to some of the other guys in the pen he's been a stud, but that's not saying much.

I agree, kind of a reach this early in the season.

I hope he's a stud but 3.2 innings doesn't mean anything other than he's still not worth Fister.

Yeah, Fister is dominating so far this season.

So you're saying if he was still here he'd be injured? No way to know for sure but based on numbers Fister was a top 20 AL starter.

For this to work out the minor league starter we got needs to be pretty good.

From a respectable scout and Tiger fan:

http://tigers.scout.com/2/1353626.html

Summary: Two legit MLB plus pitches at peak; FB and CB can both miss bats; command lags behind considerably; loves to pitch off CB; needs to learn sequence a little better and be more aggressive with FB; fits bullpen lefty mold perfectly with aggression, delivery and two-pitch arsenal.

Risk: Low risk; already reached MLB and has taken well to projected role.

Projection: Situational lefty; possible lefty setup ceiling; FB-CB wreaks havoc on LHH but can be beaten by RHH and needs to be protected.

Also, in 2013

Pitcher x started his season with Detroit:

5 GP 3 SV 5.0 IP 0 H 1 BB 3 K

"world class dominant lights out"

Jose Valverde

Now that the regular season has started everyone in the world gets to see what a world class dominant lights out LHP Ian Krol is.

The best thing about it is you have repeatedly bashed Ian Krol over and over.

With every good pitch and every dominate outing he has it just shows how little you knew about him and proves you wrong every good outing he has.

Your misery will grow worse until u finally accept he is a good pitcher. Which I just don't see u accepting.

We have our version of Glen Perkins in Detroit and it was over your head and under your feet when he arrived

Find one post where I bashed Ian Krol. Come on fanboi, put up or shut up.

Just because I was not (and still not) happy with the Fister trade does not mean I bashed anyone. though I did Lombotomy, and I'm glad he not on our team anymore.

FYI champ, calling him a LOOGY is not bashing him.

Also learn the term SSS [small sample size], you;re going to be hearing it a lot this year.

We will not know how this deal worked out until we find out what Ray does.

So....at what point will that be decided? The first year Ray starts (if he starts), the 2nd year, the 3rd year, 4th year? I am curious when you honestly think DET will know when or if they got full value for Fister, when majority of the baseball minds are still scratching their heads.

The only way this works is if Ray becomes a #1 or #2 starter. Prior to the trade, he projected as a #4 - #5, depending on development of his secondary and tertiary pitches. 5 starts at Toledo doesn't change anything. 1 year or 2 years probably doesn't change it.

So....at what point will that be decided? The first year Ray starts (if he starts), the 2nd year, the 3rd year, 4th year? I am curious when you honestly think DET will know when or if they got full value for Fister, when majority of the baseball minds are still scratching their heads.

The only way this works is if Ray becomes a #1 or #2 starter. Prior to the trade, he projected as a #4 - #5, depending on development of his secondary and tertiary pitches. 5 starts at Toledo doesn't change anything. 1 year or 2 years probably doesn't change it.

To say he needs to be a #1 or #2 is crazy. If he turns out to be a serviceable starter (#4) for the Tigers for 2-3 years the trade will be a wash. Anything more than that it will be considered a good trade.

To say he needs to be a #1 or #2 is crazy. If he turns out to be a serviceable starter (#4) for the Tigers for 2-3 years the trade will be a wash. Anything more than that it will be considered a good trade.

Fister is a top 30 MLB starter and you think getting a top 120 starter in return is a wash? Porcello is at least a 90. Would you trade a worse starter than Porcello for Fister?

Listen, Fister was under team control for 3 years. Had he stayed, that is 3 years worth of having a top 30 starter. If he leaves by becoming a Free Agent at the end of that time, then DET most likely makes a qualifying offer. A supplemental pick is about equal to Ray. But that would be after having Fister start for us for 3 years.

Last edited:
Consider this headline: Tigers Trade Fister for LH Reliever and LH Pitching Prospect

Or words to that effect. Who would have backed that play?

Fister is a top 30 MLB starter and you think getting a top 120 starter in return is a wash? Porcello is at least a 90. Would you trade a worse starter than Porcello for Fister?

Listen, Fister was under team control for 3 years. Had he stayed, that is 3 years worth of having a top 30 starter. If he leaves by becoming a Free Agent at the end of that time, then DET most likely makes a qualifying offer. A supplemental pick is about equal to Ray. But that would be after having Fister start for us for 3 years.

Two years...he is a free agent after next season.

Two years...he is a free agent after next season.

OK....one year less than Scherzer.

But, still....this would be like trading Miguel Cabrera for a LOOGY and a NOT TOP 100 1B prospect. A bird in the hand...

OK....one year less than Scherzer.

But, still....this would be like trading Miguel Cabrera for a LOOGY and a NOT TOP 100 1B prospect. A bird in the hand...

Trading Miggy for a LOOGY??? Where do you get that comparison? Miggy is the best hitter in MLB. Fister is a good MLB pitcher. Comparing Fister to Miggy isn't realistic.

Trading Miggy for a LOOGY??? Where do you get that comparison? Miggy is the best hitter in MLB. Fister is a good MLB pitcher. Comparing Fister to Miggy isn't realistic.

Comparing Fister to Ray isn't realistic. That is the point. You are having high expectations that Ray can be what Fister already is. Why do you have those expectations and not the same if DD traded Miguel for some "prospect" (not in the 100).

Last edited:
Comparing Fister to Ray isn't realistic. That is the point. You are having high expectations that Ray can be what Fister already is. Why do you have those expectations and not the same if DD traded Miguel for some "prospect" (not in the 100).

Miggy is one of the 2 best players in baseball. Fister MIGHT be a top 30 pitcher. One of the best players in the game is going to command more than a top 100 prospect. There is more to the Fister trade as well. Fister was going to cost about $14-$16M over the next two seasons. If Ray can become a starter he will cost the Tigers about $2-4M over the next 3 seasons (just a guess). Ray doesn't even have to be as good as Fister to make the trade a push/win for the Tigers.

Back