Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ausmus grace period

We weren't playing in the WS, we were playing in the ALCS.

And those statistics mean nothing when you have a team that can get a bunch of hits but can't score runs. Even up 2-0 I could see us losing that series the way our offense performed.

OK. Make that two of 56 LCS seven-game series where a team recovered from an 0-2 deficit to win it. 85 Royals and 85 Cardinals. We'll also throw in the 2004 Red Sox. That's .05 percent. I'll take those odds over 1-1.

Teams that are up 2-0 have won the WS 80% of the time. 11 of 13 teams that went up 2-0 on the road won the WS. That's 84%. It's not a Butterfly effect, it's a track record.

But, hey, Smokes said it should have been 1-1 anyway, so what's my problem anyway? The next time the Tigers go up 2-0 in an ALCS I'll rest easy.

For the record, 7 game league championship series did not start until 1985.

Since 1985 (28 seasons)

WS 18 times (64.3%) a team was up 2-0, only 15 went on to win the series. Of the 3 come from behind, 2 were by the away team. So yes, up 2-0, a team wins 83.3%

AL 13 times (46.4%) a team was up 2-0, and 11 went on to win the series. Up 2-0, the percentage is 84.6%

NL 11 times (39.2%) a team was up 2-0, and 10 went on to win the series. Up 2-0, the percentage is 90.9%

TOTAL = 36 of 42, or 85.7%

And I'll just add this: it takes 4 wins to be victorious in a 7 game series. That (game 2 GS) was only the first win for the Red Sox. 1-1 series tie, after that we had 2 games in Detroit.

The 8th inning of game 2 had far less impact on the series than you think.

And I'll just add this: it takes 4 wins to be victorious in a 7 game series. That (game 2 GS) was only the first win for the Red Sox. 1-1 series tie, after that we had 2 games in Detroit.

The 8th inning of game 2 had far less impact on the series than you think.

Win Expectancy for the Red Sox for game 2 went from 7.5% to 52.7 on one swing. Being 1-1 meant that the Red Sox had to win three of the remaining five games to win the ALCS instead of four of five.

Inning 8 of game 2 had a substantial impact on the series.

Last edited:
BOS scores 19 runs in the series, 12 after the 6th inning.

DET scores 18 runs in the series, 1 after the 6th inning.

DET was leading 4 games after 6 innings, BOS was leading 1 game and the last game was a tie. 14-3, that was the score in those 4 games and DET ended up winning only 2.

DET was leading 4 games after 6 innings, BOS was leading 1 game and the last game was a tie. 14-3, that was the score in those 4 games and DET ended up winning only 2.

it wasnt a new thing either, basically all of last year the offense completely disappeared after the 6th inning.

it wasnt a new thing either, basically all of last year the offense completely disappeared after the 6th inning.

And with the team the Tigers have on the drawing board. Does anyone think that's going to change? And middle relief is going to have to step up there game too!

First mistake in yesterday's preseason game.

Balk leads to walk of win for Yanks. Ausmus takes blame.

In that case, it was more of a traditional balk as Carrasco simply hesitated on the mound after becoming unsure of the pitch selection. The Tigers balk was a little more complex, and according to Ausmus, it's all his fault.

Ausmus twitter said....It was my fault, I actually gave a pickoff sign instead.

It wouldn't have been a big deal if the players were all on the same page. However, only pitcher Luis Marte read Ausmus' unintentional sign. Third baseman Francisco Martinez missed it and never made a move to the bag, so the balk was called when Marte threw the ball and it was determined Martinez was not within tagging distance of the runner.

so it was a combo of poor hitting after AND shitty pitching after the 6th for the Tigers.

he's spared, for now

Holy shit people were sooooo ready to jump on him though. It's got to the point where Tigers manager is right up there with Lions quarterback for biggest scapegoat.

Holy shit people were sooooo ready to jump on him though. It's got to the point where Tigers manager is right up there with Lions quarterback for biggest scapegoat.

After the fourth inning he was the scapegoat by the 7th he was reprieved.

Back