Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers negotiate and extend Miggy 8 years at under $300M

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/03/detroit_tigers_miguel_cabrera_102.html
Detroit Tigers, Miguel Cabrera reportedly begin talks on long-term contract extension.
from Mlive

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...er-failing-to-reach-deal-with-scherzer-032314
Tigers hope to extend Cabrera after failing to reach deal with Scherzer.
from foxsports

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2014/3/...ension-talks-with-miguel-cabrera-max-scherzer
Tigers open contract extension talks with Miguel Cabrera.
from bybtb

Last edited:
Yes, the player who actually deserves it. Fuck Max. I like him and all, but rejecting $24 million is a dick move considering he only had one good year.. the only year in which he's topped 200 innings. Trade Max.. he seriously isn't even worth $20 million. He is probably about equal with Sanchez in terms of worth.

I like it. I know a certain someone will post soon how we should not re-sign him, but some guys you want to retire a Tiger, and Miggy is one of them. Could be the greatest right handed hitter ever when all is said and done, and you can't put a price on that. No matter how hard you like to pinch pennies.

Might as well start working on his statue for the monument area of CoPa now.

I agree, Miggy is one guy whose decline years are probably still going to be near elite. Lock him up for his career!

It'd be nice to have another Tiger hat in the HOF. Been awhile..

Well he does have a championship with Florida...........

If he signs an extension his years far outweigh Florida. He won't take their hat just because of a title. I'm not even sure it'd would be his choice nonetheless 3 BA titles and 2 MVP..he's been better here.

Last edited:
Last 3 years away (215 MLB Players qualify with 550 PAs)

OPS
1 = M. Cabrera
26 = P. Fielder
38 = C. Granderson
47 = V. Martinez
65 = S. Choo
100 = A. Jackson
102 = T. Hunter

128 = O. Infante
132 = A. Avila
153 = D. Young
161 = J. Peralta
172 = I. Kinsler
173 = A. Dirks
208 = R. Davis

ISO
5 = M. Cabrera
7 = C. Granderson
57 = P. Fielder

111 = A. Jackson
115 = I. Kinsler
128 = T. Hunter
133 = S. Choo
143 = A. Avila
149 = J. Peralta
154 = V. Martinez
161 = D. Young
173 = O. Infante
174 = A. Dirks
205 = R. Davis

wOBA
1 = M. Cabrera
28 = P. Fielder
38 = C. Granderson
41 = V. Martinez
50 = S. Choo
99 = A. Jackson
100 = T. Hunter

120 = A. Avila
134 = O. Infante
157 = D. Young
162 = J. Peralta
169 = I. Kinsler
174 = A. Dirks
208 = R. Davis

wRC+
1 = M. Cabrera
27 = P. Fielder
39 = C. Granderson
43 = V. Martinez
44 = S. Choo
99 = T. Hunter
100 = A. Jackson

119 = A. Avila
136 = O. Infante
155 = D. Young
161 = J. Peralta
168 = I. Kinsler
173 = A. Dirks
208 = R. Davis

Yearly Salaries
P. Fielder = $24.0 Mil
S. Choo = $18.6 Mil
I. Kinsler = $15.3+ Mil
C. Granderson = $15.0 Mil
J. Peralta = $13.3 Mil
T. Hunter = $13.0 Mil
V. Martinez = $12.5 Mil
O. Infante = $7.6 Mil
R. Davis = $5.0 Mil

The "excuses" given for trading Fielder and Fister and not signing players like Granderson or Choo, was so they could use that money for extensions on Cabrera and Scherzer. If they do not sign either one to an extension, this will be the greatest debacle of all time.

You could pay Miguel Cabrera $30 Mil a year and still get value from his contract. Once we traded Fister, we were somewhat committed to Scherzer and Boras knows this.

Also, where is the power? Look at ISO (Isolated Power) numbers. Now that Fielder is gone, and aside from Cabrera, we have NO ONE above average. And I am betting it will be a few years before Castellanos is above average, if ever.

I hope that Miggy takes a bit of a home town discount but if anyone got paid - it should be him. I just hope he doesn't want close to 30m. I hate how people get paid on past performances..they all want a deal that takes then into their late 30's..when their production falls off..

And I am betting it will be a few years before Castellanos is above average, if ever.

I think he will get close to 30 in rookie year. The ball really jumps off his bat. My main concern is how he adjusts. Once scouting reports get out, that is what separates the men from the boys. No stats to back anything up, just speculative based on what I have seen in limited time.

I think he will get close to 30 in rookie year. The ball really jumps off his bat. My main concern is how he adjusts. Once scouting reports get out, that is what separates the men from the boys. No stats to back anything up, just speculative based on what I have seen in limited time.

If he gets 30 I'd be beyond thrilled..

Last 3 years away (215 MLB Players qualify with 550 PAs)

OPS
1 = M. Cabrera
26 = P. Fielder
38 = C. Granderson
47 = V. Martinez
65 = S. Choo
100 = A. Jackson
102 = T. Hunter

128 = O. Infante
132 = A. Avila
153 = D. Young
161 = J. Peralta
172 = I. Kinsler
173 = A. Dirks
208 = R. Davis

ISO
5 = M. Cabrera
7 = C. Granderson
57 = P. Fielder

111 = A. Jackson
115 = I. Kinsler
128 = T. Hunter
133 = S. Choo
143 = A. Avila
149 = J. Peralta
154 = V. Martinez
161 = D. Young
173 = O. Infante
174 = A. Dirks
205 = R. Davis

wOBA
1 = M. Cabrera
28 = P. Fielder
38 = C. Granderson
41 = V. Martinez
50 = S. Choo
99 = A. Jackson
100 = T. Hunter

120 = A. Avila
134 = O. Infante
157 = D. Young
162 = J. Peralta
169 = I. Kinsler
174 = A. Dirks
208 = R. Davis

wRC+
1 = M. Cabrera
27 = P. Fielder
39 = C. Granderson
43 = V. Martinez
44 = S. Choo
99 = T. Hunter
100 = A. Jackson

119 = A. Avila
136 = O. Infante
155 = D. Young
161 = J. Peralta
168 = I. Kinsler
173 = A. Dirks
208 = R. Davis

Yearly Salaries
P. Fielder = $24.0 Mil
S. Choo = $18.6 Mil
I. Kinsler = $15.3+ Mil
C. Granderson = $15.0 Mil
J. Peralta = $13.3 Mil
T. Hunter = $13.0 Mil
V. Martinez = $12.5 Mil
O. Infante = $7.6 Mil
R. Davis = $5.0 Mil

The "excuses" given for trading Fielder and Fister and not signing players like Granderson or Choo, was so they could use that money for extensions on Cabrera and Scherzer. If they do not sign either one to an extension, this will be the greatest debacle of all time.

You could pay Miguel Cabrera $30 Mil a year and still get value from his contract. Once we traded Fister, we were somewhat committed to Scherzer and Boras knows this.

Also, where is the power? Look at ISO (Isolated Power) numbers. Now that Fielder is gone, and aside from Cabrera, we have NO ONE above average. And I am betting it will be a few years before Castellanos is above average, if ever.

Thanks for the numbers Kev. We all know Miggy is a Beast this is proof in numbers beyond belief. I would give Miggy at least an 8 year contract for 240M.
He has been saying the past 2/3 years he wants to finish his career as a Tiger.

Thanks for the numbers Kev. We all know Miggy is a Beast this is proof in numbers beyond belief. I would give Miggy at least an 8 year contract for 240M.
He has been saying the past 2/3 years he wants to finish his career as a Tiger.

Call me crazy but I would not want to give him more than a 5 year contract, even that is pushing it. I`d say 5 years and 150M is fair, if he wants to play anymore after that it will have to be on 1 year deals.

To many guys start falling apart once they get into thier 30`s.

Call me crazy but I would not want to give him more than a 5 year contract, even that is pushing it. I`d say 5 years and 150M is fair, if he wants to play anymore after that it will have to be on 1 year deals.

To many guys start falling apart once they get into thier 30`s.

5 years is what I was hoping for too, that would put him and Verlander as FAs again together and we could readdress the situations then.

Miggy will get an 8-10 year deal. A 5 year deal would be insulting. It would be great if he took a 5 year deal but I can't see that even being a possibility. What agent is going to agree to that?

Miggy will get an 8-10 year deal. A 5 year deal would be insulting. It would be great if he took a 5 year deal but I can't see that even being a possibility. What agent is going to agree to that?

I`d let him walk then, no way would I give a 33 year old a 8-10 year deal no matter who he is

Back