Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trust in Dave Dombrowski

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
http://grantland.com/features/dave-dombrowski-detroit-tigers/

Once in a while, however, everyone will agree. It happened this winter, when every front-office type, journalist, and peanut vendor shared the same reaction at the same time: ?The Tigers traded Doug Fister for what?? A few months later, the same choir sang a different chorus: ?The Tigers gave Miguel Cabrera how much money?? If you judge a team?s moves by the industry?s reaction, you probably think the Tigers had the worst offseason in baseball.

If, however, you judge a team?s moves by the man who made them, you?ll resist drawing conclusions for now. On one side, we have the informed judgments of an entire industry; on the other, the track record of a single person. The safe answer is to trust in the wisdom of crowds. The right answer might be to trust in the wisdom of Dave Dombrowski.

There is a problem when the author gives DD credit for making moves prior to him becoming the actual GM.

Just someone wrangling for a job on the commissioners staff if Dumbrowski gets the gig.

Just someone wrangling for a job on the commissioners staff if Dumbrowski gets the gig.

Was just about to post the link to this article, but sggatecl beat me to it.

Excited to see the upcoming articles and "30 for 30" episode referenced here....

On April 17, ESPN will premiere 30 for 30: Bad Boys, a documentary about those unforgettable Pistons teams. To celebrate, Grantland will devote an entire week, from April 11 through April 18, to the various stories of this wholly original place.

yeah that must be it. couldn't be that he could be right with the article.

No, you're right. Dave Dombrowski is a genius, look at how well rounded our teams have been and how deep our minor league system is. Everyone he's traded for or signed off waivers or something has been a great addition too.

No, you're right. Dave Dombrowski is a genius, look at how well rounded our teams have been and how deep our minor league system is. Everyone he's traded for or signed off waivers or something has been a great addition too.

If perfect teams were so easy to assemble everyone would have one. I haven't forgot where this franchise was when he took it over vs where they are now. I feel some of you guys have...

If perfect teams were so easy to assemble everyone would have one. I haven't forgot where this franchise was when he took it over vs where they are now. I feel some of you guys have...

I haven't forgotten. But because he turned us around then does not mean he does not deserve criticism now for the things that have happened/state of affairs with the Tigers.

That what the author and lots of people are basically saying, forget anything bad, or a poor job done lately, and just remember 2003-2006, and everyone else be quiet because DD can do no wrong.

It's bullshit. Thanks Dave for turning the franchise around 10 years ago, but you have done a pretty sorry job lately.

Last edited:
I haven't forgotten. But because he turned us around then does not mean he does not deserve criticism now for the things that have happened/state of affairs with the Tigers.

That what the author and lots of people are basically saying, forget anything bad, or a poor job done lately, and just remember 2003-2006, and everyone else be quiet because DD can do no wrong.

It's bullshit. Thanks Dave for turning the franchise around 10 years ago, but you have done a pretty sorry job lately.

We've had some bad luck with injuries this year(Iglesias, Dirks, Rondon), but if he shores up the pen I still think this team is capable of making a run. As shitty as some of you think we are, we do have the best record in the AL.

Joe Dumars took the Pistons to the 2004 Championship. Does that fact make him a great GM?

Dombrowski has lost his fucking mind since last year. I refuse to trust in him anymore after his horseshit offseason.

Did Joe Dumars build 3 different teams into contenders?????

MON Teams = .493 WPCT (0 playoffs in 4 years)

FLA Teams = .451 WPCT (1 playoff in 9 years)

DET Teams = .477 WPCT (4 playoffs in 12 years)

5 playoffs in 25 years. 2 in the first 22 of being a GM, and the last 3 really deal more with having the big money to spend. Most GMs can do that.

MON Teams = .493 WPCT (0 playoffs in 4 years)

FLA Teams = .451 WPCT (1 playoff in 9 years)

DET Teams = .477 WPCT (4 playoffs in 12 years)

5 playoffs in 25 years. 2 in the first 22 of being a GM, and the last 3 really deal more with having the big money to spend. Most GMs can do that.

Once again your "stats" don't tell the whole story. He built that MON team into what became a great team after he left and might have had a WS if not for a strike. He completely built a team in FLA better than anyone before him. There's no debate there. Was forced by ownership to completely gut the team and fucking built them into another WS winning team. He took over a shit show in Detroit and built them into a consistent playoff team. Yeah, he sure sucks.

Once again your "stats" don't tell the whole story. He built that MON team into what became a great team after he left and might have had a WS if not for a strike. He completely built a team in FLA better than anyone before him. There's no debate there. Was forced by ownership to completely gut the team and fucking built them into another WS winning team. He took over a shit show in Detroit and built them into a consistent playoff team. Yeah, he sure sucks.

They aren't my "stats", they are DD's stats.

Your statement was about building teams into contenders. Until the last 3 years, the stats prove otherwise. DD left Montreal in 1991 and the strike was in 1994. This would be akin to crediting Randy Smith for 2006

He was the first GM Florida ever had. There was no one before him.

I never used the term "sucks".

Paper thin....paper thin.

Back