Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Minor League Notes

Tigers Minor League Notes

thanks for starting this over here.... I love reading the articles you post and had been missing them to be honest!

kmd47 said:
thanks for starting this over here.... I love reading the articles you post and had been missing them to be honest!

Thankyou KMD, I do recognize your sn from the old Tigers and Lions boards. It is great that nearly all of the posters are here now thanks to monster.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2011/08/tigers_agree_to_contract_terms_1.html
Tigers sign Top 2011 Draft Pick James McCann.
from Mlive

The Detroit Tigers have agreed to terms with their first selection in the 2011 draft, University of Arkansas catcher James McCann, the team announced today.

The Tigers selected McCann in the second round. The Tigers had to surrender their first-round pick after signing Victor Martinez, a Type A free agent, in the offseason.

Good to see McCann in the fold for Tigers. Absolute ceiling as a solid regular, w/ a high floor; pretty easily an MLB backup.

Al Kaline gets to throw first pitch to grandson Colin.
I would bet that Tigers legend Al Kaline has done plenty of memorable things on a baseball field, and achieved virtually everything he ever wanted to accomplish. But throwing a ceremonial first pitch to his grandson Colin before the Class A Connecticut Tigers' game on Monday had to have been one of the more special moments.

Colin Kaline, a second baseman from Florida Southern, was the Tigers' 26th-round pick in this year's draft.

Afterwards, Al Kaline chatted about baseball fans then and now, Tiger Stadium, and his 60 years with the Tigers with Thomas Neumann of ESPN.com's Page 2.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id....-grandson-colin
Al Kaline, grandson share a first pitch.
from espnpage2

What a nice read for this old Tigers and Kaline fan

Read more: http://www.yamaharaptorforum.com/phpBB/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=219&start=315#ixzz1Ue9Wy0de

The Tigers agreed to a four-year extension of their player-development contract with the West Michigan Whitecaps, keeping the Comstock Park-based team a Tigers affiliate through the 2018 season.
from the freep

Jacob Turner is "OK" in first Triple-A start
Once you've pitched in the major leagues, pitching in Triple-A can be anti-climatic.

But that wasn't how Detroit's top prospect, RHP Jacob Turner, approached his first start for the Mud Hens Thursday.

"Every time you go out there, you want to do the best you can," Turner said after throwing 5.1 innings against Louisville, a game Toledo eventually won 6-5 in 11 innings. "It might not have the luster [of the major leagues], but you still have to do your job."

Thursday's effort was an uneven performance as the 20-year-old allowed six hits and two walks that turned into four runs. He threw 88 pitches, 55 of which were strikes, and threw first-pitch strikes to 12 of the 24 hitters he faced. Turner reached a three-ball count twice, and both times the batter drew a walk.

Turner said he thought he threw "OK" in his first Triple-A start.

"I wasn't commanding my fastball as well as I wanted to, which put me behind some hitters," Turner admitted. "But at the end of the day I left one pitch up

Tigers minors moves: Oliveros from Toledo to Erie: Purcey replaces him at Toledo and Villarreall (off DL) replaces Perry.

Back