Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Justin Verlander voted Tiger of the year

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2016/11/10/justin-verlander-detroit-tigers/93600522/
Justin Verlander voted Tiger of the year.
Freep

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ustin-verlander-selected-tiger-year/93599916/
Justin Verlander selected Tiger of the Year.
Detnews

Justin Verlander was selected Tiger of the Year in voting conducted by the Detroit Chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/news/article/208578738/justin-verlander-named-tiger-of-the-year/
Verlander named Tiger of the Year for 3rd time.
Tigers official site

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/spor...ger-of-the-year-for-3rd-time-by-detroit-bbwaa
Justin Verlander named Tiger of the Year for 3rd time by Detroit BBWAA.
OaklandPress

Last edited:
He joins the ranks of Tom Timmerman, Steve Sparks and Randall Simon. Rare company, indeed.

He joins the ranks of Tom Timmerman, Steve Sparks and Randall Simon. Rare company, indeed.

I think you forgot Al Kaline, Denny McLain, Mickey Lolich, Bill Freehan, John Hiller, Willie Horton, Alan Trammell, Kirk Gibson, Lou Whitaker, Jack Morris, and Miguel Cabrera?

I think you forgot Al Kaline, Denny McLain, Mickey Lolich, Bill Freehan, John Hiller, Willie Horton, Alan Trammell, Kirk Gibson, Lou Whitaker, Jack Morris, and Miguel Cabrera?

I did not forget; I did not mention them. Or Don Wert and Bobby Higginson.

I did not forget; I did not mention them. Or Don Wert and Bobby Higginson.

So what was your point of excluding them? To point out that the Tigers have had some crappy teams over the years? I think we are all aware.

JV is not in the "Bobby Higginson/Randall Simon" camp of all time Tiger players. Everybody knows that.

Sorry for being snippy Byco. It's been a rough day personally for me. My apologies.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/help/...ySubject=None&[email protected]

I just want you to know that if JV and or Miggy are traded away this off season I as a long time avid fan will not have any interest in continuing to support the cause for years to come and I won't be alone. Choose wisely. thank you

I REALLY doubt they will trade Miggy because I don't think anybody will take him (because of age and contract).

But, Hypothetically:

The Tigers trade Miggy, JD, JV and Kinsler for a combo of younger major league players and prospects. The Tigers start off 8-2, are 1st place in the central on May 1st and are in 1st or 2nd all season...you and every other fan will be right back on board. Attendance wouldn't change and TV ratings would be as good as last year.

Last edited:
I REALLY doubt they will trade Miggy because I don't think anybody will take him (because of age and contract).

But, Hypothetically:

The Tigers trade Miggy, JD, JV and Kinsler for a combo of younger major league players and prospects. The Tigers start off 8-2, are 1st place in the central on May 1st and are in 1st or 2nd all season...you and every other fan will be right back on board. Attendance wouldn't change and TV ratings would be as good as last year.

Who said the fans are leaving? As far as Trading the big 4.. we're not finishing in first or 2nd..

But, Hypothetically:

No sir, I assure you my resolve is much stronger than that, miggy is entering hof greatest of all time territory now, I plan to start watching and tracking the all time ranks as he climbs higher and higher. Will not have any interest in doing that if he's not a tiger. Barry hurt, Calvin retiring crushed me, if miggy is dealt this year, that will be the last straw for me.

Last edited:

But, Hypothetically:

There are probably 15 teams that would want Miggy. What they don't want is to trade anything of value or pay all the salary.

Miggy is 33 and has 7 guaranteed years left on his contract. There is no reason to think he cannot be effective for at least another 5 years.

The issue with trading Miggy is that he has full no trade protection. JV is 10 and 5.

There is virtually no way you trade Miggy, JV, J.D. and Kinsler and not tank at attendance. And there is certainly no way you have a winning record without them. If it was that easy, why aren't all teams trading their 4 top players so they can be in 1st place? Now if you packaged J.D. and Kinsler to the Dodgers, you probably get a decent return that the Tigers might repeat 2016 record and attendance.

And I do not know how to stress this anymore. Until the Tigers' local TV contract is signed, they need to maintain viewership or increase it. At this point, trading Miggy or JV will kill any value in that new contract and will effect the future finances of this team for years to come. It would be utter stupidity to trade Miggy or J.V. at this time. Next offseason is another story.

Last edited:
There are probably 15 teams that would want Miggy. What they don't want is to trade anything of value or pay all the salary.

Miggy is 33 and has 7 guaranteed years left on his contract. There is no reason to think he cannot be effective for at least another 5 years.

The issue with trading Miggy is that he has full no trade protection. JV is 10 and 5.

There is virtually no way you trade Miggy, JV, J.D. and Kinsler and not tank at attendance. And there is certainly no way you have a winning record without them. If it was that easy, why aren't all teams trading their 4 top players so they can be in 1st place? Now if you packaged J.D. and Kinsler to the Dodgers, you probably get a decent return that the Tigers might repeat 2016 record and attendance.

And I do not know how to stress this anymore. Until the Tigers' local TV contract is signed, they need to maintain viewership or increase it. At this point, trading Miggy or JV will kill any value in that new contract and will effect the future finances of this team for years to come. It would be utter stupidity to trade Miggy or J.V. at this time. Next offseason is another story.

I meant trade for him...I should have chose my words more carefully

Back