Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2017 Hall of Fame Vote Pudge - Bagwell - Raines elected

We have about 2 days before the elected players are named.
If I remember correctly they will be announced 6 PM Wednesday.

Any of you want to name the players on your ballot, if you had a vote?

Here's mine;
Bagwell
Hoffman
Edgar
McGriff
Mussina
Raines
Pudge

Some other year;
Vlad
Kent
Smith
Wagner
Walker

I know Pudge, and Edgar should be no brainers. Not sure about the rest. The hall lately has been more about good players getting in when it should be just great players that get in. Raines doesn't have enough imo. Mussina doesn't get in until Jack Morris does.

Absolutely
Bagwell
Vlad
Mussina
Pudge

Boarderline
Schilling

Not unless Whitaker and Trammell make it first
Kent
Edgar
Raines
McGriff
Sheffield
Walker

Peds
Bonds
Clemens
Manny
Sosa

Not even close (not a fan of closers getting in)
Hoffman
Lee Smith
Wagner
Posada

Absolutely
Bagwell
Vlad
Mussina
Pudge

Boarderline
Schilling

Not unless Whitaker and Trammell make it first
Kent
Edgar
Raines
McGriff
Sheffield
Walker

Peds
Bonds
Clemens
Manny
Sosa

Not even close (not a fan of closers getting in)
Hoffman
Lee Smith
Wagner
Posada

I think Schilling and Mussina were basically equals except Schilling was better in the post season.

I would put Bonds and Clemens in the absolutely category even though I despise Clemens.

No problems with the ones elected. Though surprised Raines got 86%. It still amazes me though how a guy like Raines gets 86%, someone like Ozzie Smith can get over 90% and Alan Trammel doesn't come close.

Last edited:
No problems with the ones elected. Though surprised Raines got 86%.

Aside from his stolen bases, Raines is a head scratcher for me. A career LFer, who looks like this:

Career WAR
Lou Whitaker 74.9
Alan Trammell 70.4
Tim Raines 69.1
Kenny Lofton 68.2

JAWS
Alan Trammell 57.5
Lou Whitaker 56.4
Kenny Lofton 55.7
Tim Raines 55.6

Hall of Fame Monitor
Alan Trammell 118
Lou Whitaker 92
Kenny Lofton 91
Tim Raines 90

Kenny Lofton, who also stole bases, never lasted more than 1 ballot for the HoF. His statistics are just as valid as Raines. I just don't get it.

Aside from his stolen bases, Raines is a head scratcher for me. A career LFer, who looks like this:

Career WAR
Lou Whitaker 74.9
Alan Trammell 70.4
Tim Raines 69.1
Kenny Lofton 68.2

JAWS
Alan Trammell 57.5
Lou Whitaker 56.4
Kenny Lofton 55.7
Tim Raines 55.6

Hall of Fame Monitor
Alan Trammell 118
Lou Whitaker 92
Kenny Lofton 91
Tim Raines 90

Kenny Lofton, who also stole bases, never lasted more than 1 ballot for the HoF. His statistics are just as valid as Raines. I just don't get it.

Yep. It's why the hall of fame matters nothing to me. I just don't how they leave Trammell out, a lesser extent Whitaker.

Four other players who played for the Tigers -- Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Guillen, Edgar Renteria and Matt Stairs -- did not reach the required 5 percent threshold and won't be on next year's ballot. Gary Sheffield received 13.3 percent of the vote.

Tigers first base coach Omar Vizquel, a longtime Major League shortstop, will appear for the first time in 2018.
Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker will also be eligible for consideration by the veteran's committee for the first time in 2018.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/01/18/ivan-rodriguez-elected-to-hall-of-fame/
Ivan Rodriguez Elected to Hall of Fame.
CBSDetroit

Last edited:
Carlos Guillen got zero votes. He should have got at least one for his home run trot after taking Weaver yard.

Congrats to Pudge, Raines and Bagwell. I have no issues with any of these guys.

If they put Pudge gets in on his first ballot, Clemens and Bonds should have as well.

David Schoenfield thinks Tram and Morris get in next year.

New to the ballot: Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, Scott Rolen, Andruw Jones, Johnny Damon, Johan Santana, Jamie Moyer, Omar Vizquel

Elected: Chipper Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Trevor Hoffman, Jack Morris, Alan Trammell

With Vlad and Hoffman falling just short this year, next year’s class could be a huge group, especially if the Modern Game committee votes in longtime Tigers teammates Morris and Trammell. The veterans committees have been very tough in electing former players in recent years, electing just four since 2000 and just two post-1950 players in Ron Santo and Bill Mazeroski, so electing a living, breathing ex-player, let alone two, goes against the recent trend.

Morris is the pitcher whom stat guys don’t like, but he peaked at 67 percent on the BBWAA ballot, and that means it would be unprecedented for him to not eventually get in. The people voting will be Hall of Famers who played against him when he was viewed as an ace and media members who covered him when he felt like a Hall of Famer, as opposed to those looking at a statistical resume on Baseball-Reference.com. While Hall of Fame players on the committee are never eager to increase the size of their club, Trammell was a respected player and clearly above Hall of Fame standards for his position. He got lost in the BBWAA votes because he entered the ballot when shortstops such as Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter and Nomar Garciaparra were putting up big numbers, but he was a good all-around player for a long time.

Tom, here's the rest of the story.
http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/77378/predicting-every-hall-of-fame-class-through-2045
Predicting every Hall of Fame class through 2045.
David 'PudPuller' Schoenfield espn

He forgot Lou Whitaker.
I just tweeted him so I will wait to see if he responds.
It's typical of espn's group of hacks, Detroit and the Tigers aren't glorified as their favorite sons from say Boston.
This guy has Pedroia going in and doesn't even mention Sweet Lou. Want more, The rightfielder who led the league in throws up the first and third base line Dwight Evans is on his ballot in a year down the road.

I'm not on Facebook which is the only way other than twitter to ask this guy about not mentioning Lou Whitaker in his story. In case hopefully anyone wants to.

Last edited:
Back