Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Reggie for Rubio

Minnesota allegedly including Shabazz Muhammad.

Last edited:
I'll take Rubio all day on this team. They need some new blood. The product as it is currently constructed isn't doing shit.

Rubio is a great passer and defender, offset by his atrocious shooting. He's certainly different from Reggie. I'd do it for the shakeup, but not a real win on either side.

Rubio left tonights game with a injury . Not sure what it was he only played 17 minutes.

From both teams perspective, this is a weird trade. Minnesota already had an above average offense, its their defense that is keeping them from contending for a playoff spot. Detroit is the exact opposite. Reggie, when healthy, had been a strong positive on offense, but a moderate negative in defense. Rubio has been the exact opposite. Given each team's needs, it seems like they would be better off with the player they already have.

That doesn't even get into comparing the players overall. Despite Reggie's scoring average, it's Rubio who has been the more valuable player each year (he's an elite defender). Rubio has also been the more injury prone overall. So Rubio might be a little more valuable each game, but is likely to play fewer games.

Given the paucity of shooting in the team, we may have no choice but to go all in on a defensive identity (think Memphis lite). If that's the case, then a Rubio trade could make a lot of sense. Regardless, the team as currently constructed isn't working, and there's no cap since to pursue a real fix. I hope the trade actually happens.

Did this actually happen or is it still a rumor?

It's more than rumor because the two teams have actually discussed the trade as viable. It has not been consummated, and depending on negotiations may not. It's ESPN that has said Reggie and Rubio are the headliners of the deal, but those may just be the only names that were leaked.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-reggie-jackson-traded-minnesota-timberwolves

Detroit Pistons coach and team president Stan Van Gundy insisted to local reporters Saturday that he's not trading point guard Reggie Jackson to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Van Gundy confirmed an ESPN.com report that the Pistons and Timberwolves had discussed a multiplayer deal headlined by Jackson and point guard Ricky Rubio this week, but he revealed Saturday morning that he has assured Jackson the deal would not happen.

"I texted Reggie and just said, 'This is crazy season, and we're not trading you for Ricky Rubio,'" Van Gundy told reporters after the Pistons' morning shootaround in advance of their Saturday night home game against Washington.

"That was it. I don't normally address it, but the fact that it was out there and it concerned his agent [Aaron Mintz] enough to call, I addressed it. ‎

"I'm not denying that the discussion took place -- they take place all the time. But that's a lot different than consideration. And clearly we didn't make that move."

The whole "I'm not denying the discussion took place" means it took place, and my best guess is that they are actively trying to move the dude.

Back