Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan is a school for rich people

Gulo Blue

I didn't realize how wealthy it was. And apparently, it's been this way as far back as the data goes (about 1999-2000)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/university-of-michigan-ann-arbor

The link works better on microsoft's browser than in chrome, fyi.

Michigan does terrible in upward mobility metrics even though 50% of the poor students at Michigan go on to be wealthy because there are so few poor students at Michigan (3.6% of Michigan students are from the bottom 20% of income earners.)

They don't have data for Ohio State, Maryland, or Nebraska.

It was great when I got accepted to UM. I'm still proud I accomplished that. It was also brutal staring down the amount of loans I would have to take to attend. It's why I sadly had to choose to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
It was great when I got accepted to UM. I'm still proud I accomplished that. It was also brutal staring down the amount of loans I would have to take to attend. It's why I sadly had to choose to go elsewhere.

yeah, it's not worth it, especially for undergrad.

I don't even want to think about how insane it'll be when my kids get to be 18. suffice to say, if we keep going in the direction we are now, it will be much, much worse.

Yeah. It's gotten so much worse in the last several decades. Tuition has doubled and I think room and board was around $1,200 a semester. At the time I thought it was crazy. "This represents 2-3 years of delivering newpapers!"

Yeah. It's gotten so much worse in the last several decades. Tuition has doubled and I think room and board was around $1,200 a semester. At the time I thought it was crazy. "This represents 2-3 years of delivering newpapers!"

When I added up the costs for attending out of state, it was pretty dream crushing. $60K+ just for tuition per year. That was in 2001 so I can't even imagine how brutal it is now.

When I added up the costs for attending out of state, it was pretty dream crushing. $60K+ just for tuition per year. That was in 2001 so I can't even imagine how brutal it is now.

Yeah. I didn't really look out of state. Glad I lived in the state of Michigan.

I did know a guy who went and lived with his grandparents in Michigan the last couple years of high school so he would qualify for in state tuition (ballsy move if you ask me.) In line with MC's conversation from the other rich guys thread, there was this gem:

Dumbass: Wait, you moved in with your grandparents for in-state tuition?!

Friend: Well yeah, it's going to save me about $100,000.

Dumbass: And that's a big deal?

yeah, it's not worth it, especially for undergrad.

I don't even want to think about how insane it'll be when my kids get to be 18. suffice to say, if we keep going in the direction we are now, it will be much, much worse.

$450,000 for 4yrs out of state estimated for my son, Fall of 2025

CU (instate) by comparison projected at $200,000

These numbers are 'all in' for tuition, room/board, books and living expenses and rounded up so we Oversave & might not pay quite that

When's was accepted, it and cal were top 10 schools..only public schools

While expensive still slightly cheaper than my ivy choices...

$450,000 for 4yrs out of state estimated for my son, Fall of 2025

CU (instate) by comparison projected at $200,000

These numbers are 'all in' for tuition, room/board, books and living expenses and rounded up so we Oversave & might not pay quite that

Good lord! That's a lot of scratch.

My buddy's family told me, about 5 years after I was out of college, that I could have gone to UM, claimed residency after a year, and got free tuition because I'm 1/8th Native American. Not sure if that's true, but I wouldn't have done that anyway. Would not have felt right about it.

My buddy's family told me, about 5 years after I was out of college, that I could have gone to UM, claimed residency after a year, and got free tuition because I'm 1/8th Native American. Not sure if that's true, but I wouldn't have done that anyway. Would not have felt right about it.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't claim residency based on your time there as a student, even if you stayed summers, even back then. If you check now, apparently you have to have been in the state of Michigan for both high school and middle school.

https://publicaffairs.vpcomm.umich.edu/key-issues/u-m-guidelines-for-in-state-tuition/

A dormmate of mine is 1/8 Native and he definitely had a partial scholarship. From Hazel Park and blue collar family.

I was at Michigan in the last half of the 70s through the last half of the 80s and I don't remember knowing many 1%ers. I certainly wasn't in that crowd, so it may have just been the people I knew.

My neighbor's kid got accepted last year and he said tuition was going to be $52K (out of state)

I was at Michigan in the last half of the 70s through the last half of the 80s and I don't remember knowing many 1%ers. I certainly wasn't in that crowd, so it may have just been the people I knew.

Statistically it would have been one out of every hundred people that you knew.

This thread talks about how Michigan is a school for rich people as if this is news or something. This has pretty much been like this my entire life. Back when I went to university, I started at CMU, which was fairly inexpensive as things go. Then I transferred to MSU and going there was just a little more than twice as much. I checked into how much it would cost to attend Michigan and it was just a little over twice as much as I and my family (I got a small amount of help from my father) was paying to attend MSU.

On the Native American thing; I am 1/8th Native American also. You can't just check a box and get financial help on that, though. You have to be able to prove you are an official member of a tribe. If you aren't already part of a tribe, a person would have a very difficult time getting accepted into one. My mother's cousin tried to do this, he was 25% Native American and they wouldn't talk to him.

This might change with the DNA testing that is widely available now. You could just do a DNA analysis and prove that you are a certain % of a certain race. 1/8th was the cut-off for Native Americans when I attended.

Last edited:
I checked into how much it would cost to attend Michigan and it was just a little over twice as much as I and my family (I got a small amount of help from my father) was paying to attend MSU.

I can't say it's always been this way, but they are fairly close now, at least for in-state. $339 difference in in-state tuition.

MSU: Cost of Attendance, In-state: $27,241, Out-of-state: $51,068
Tuition and Fees In-state: $14,063 Out-of-state: $37,890

Michigan: Cost of Attendance, In-state: $28,776, Out-of-state: $59,784
Tuition and Fees In-state: $14,402 Out-of-state: $45,410

Back