Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers analytics department now hiring, will soon unveil 'Caesar'

Just FYI...what they are recruiting are database fundamentals positions (data entry, data analysis, etc) and is far different than the sabermetrics/analytics that most teams employ. This is very disconcerting to me that the Tigers are still well behind the 8 ball when it comes to analytics.

Tiger's analytics department

2dad6f81786ad7dec968f1fed1154225d38ab4f8f6eafc69378a230a216ad3a4.jpg

"We will be hiring several more people in that area that will basically just be doing the calculations, mathematics, formulas that they create to help us make better decisions, which is not in place right now, and hasn't been," Avila said.

Translation: We hired people to tell us that 1 in 3 hits = .333 BAVG

"We will be hiring several more people in that area that will basically just be doing the calculations, mathematics, formulas
Translation: We hired people to tell us that 1 in 3 hits = .333 BAVG

They hired the guy from Apple / former Blue Jays assistant GM, Jay Sartori and a few other guys to run the analytics department. Basically, that line in the article says they are looking to add people that will be inputting the data, etc. Hopefully, the guys they hired to run it know what they are doing.

They hired the guy from Apple / former Blue Jays assistant GM, Jay Sartori and a few other guys to run the analytics department. Basically, that line in the article says they are looking to add people that will be inputting the data, etc. Hopefully, the guys they hired to run it know what they are doing.

What is Jay Sartori's background in sabermetrics/analytics? Along with the few other guys? You mean the one's that recommended the Lowe and/or Pelfrey signings? Or was it the Mike Aviles signing?

Together, Menzin and Sartori head the analytics department and serve multiple purposes, such as gathering and sharing data at the major league, minor league, amateur and international levels, providing manager Brad Ausmus with advanced metrics on pitching matchups and defensive alignments, and using sabermetrics to recommend which player acquisition would serve the team best.

How well did that turn out for the 2016 Tigers?

It isn't about inputting and storing the data. It is about interrupting the data. The story is misleading and any notion the Tigers have an analytics department is a joke. So Sartori has a penchant for stats. It has not translated into any positive signs. In fact, based on what we know, there is a regression in the Tigers organization since adding Sartori.

What is Jay Sartori's background in sabermetrics/analytics? Along with the few other guys? You mean the one's that recommended the Lowe and/or Pelfrey signings? Or was it the Mike Aviles signing?

Together, Menzin and Sartori head the analytics department and serve multiple purposes, such as gathering and sharing data at the major league, minor league, amateur and international levels, providing manager Brad Ausmus with advanced metrics on pitching matchups and defensive alignments, and using sabermetrics to recommend which player acquisition would serve the team best.

How well did that turn out for the 2016 Tigers?

It isn't about inputting and storing the data. It is about interrupting the data. The story is misleading and any notion the Tigers have an analytics department is a joke. So Sartori has a penchant for stats. It has not translated into any positive signs. In fact, based on what we know, there is a regression in the Tigers organization since adding Sartori.

The person responsible for the signings is Avila. If those guys are the ones who suggested it he should re-evaluate their positions. As far as backgrounds...I have no idea. I was just stating my opinion that the article. I have no idea how their new "caesar" program will work.

The person responsible for the signings is Avila. If those guys are the ones who suggested it he should re-evaluate their positions. As far as backgrounds...I have no idea. I was just stating my opinion that the article. I have no idea how their new "caesar" program will work.

What part of your post was an opinion?

A computer program like "caesar" usually sifts through data using an algorithm of some type. There is usually a key constraint with a correlator running based on some individualized tunning. Odds are they are using either Oracle 11g or SQL Server 2016 as the back end and some web utility as a front end.

This isn't voodoo magic. It is "box scores" entered into a database and then compiled into an analytical output. You can go to FanGraphs, Baseball-Reference and even ESPN and get some of that output. "Caesar" is probably just as the nickname they called their system and probably is named that after "Little Caesars".

My point is, in case you missed it, was that DET is just now announcing that they are creating/using a database, where most teams have been using analytics databases for 10 years or more.

Theo Epstein, an sabermetric/analytics genius took over the Red Sox in 2002 and built them into a World Series winner. He took over a struggling Cubs team in 2011. Mike Chernoff is the Indians GM and was head of their analytics since 2003 and was head of their analytics department before getting promoted to GM. I could give you a list of half the MLB teams who have strong analytics departments and a historical record of using those departments for 10 years or more.

Do not be mislead. DET has yet to prove they have anything close to an analytics department. And if they do, they haven't demonstrated that it is effective.

Can we get a common sense department?

Never sign the worst starting pitcher from the previous year to a 2 yr deal. Stop signing 6-7 yr deals. Move on from underperforming parts of the team.

I will be waiting for an offer from the Tigers for my new position.

Last edited:
Back