Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Now that the WS is over when can we make moves?

First of all Granderson was still in his 20's not making near what JV and Miggy make and Max wasn't any good.

You say JV and Miggy are so great but don't think anybody will give up anything of quality.

I really don't care if they get major league talent for them or a haul of prospects. If you can move them to get in a better position for the future I think you have to do it.

You say JV and Miggy are so great but don't think anybody will give up anything of quality.

I really don't care if they get major league talent for them or a haul of prospects. If you can move them to get in a better position for the future I think you have to do it.

If you don't get ML talent or a haul of prospects then what's the point.. For cash? If Avila wants to lower payroll, losing cash won't help to get better players. We're be an expansion team.

You get rid of Miguel and Verlander and you easily drop 10-15 wins for this team. Fans stop coming and you end up with a garbage TV contract that needs renewing in the next year. Stupid. It would be a bad baseball decision as well as a bad business decision.

Also, Victor will not be going anywhere. The Free Agent market is flooded this year with DH types.

J. Bautista
**E. Encarnacion
M. Saunders
**P. Alvarez
S. Pearce
M. Trumbo
**C. Beltran
M. Moreland
**J. Morneau
**B. Butler
M. Teixeira
B. Moss
C. Utley
M. Reynolds

** = Players with at least 200 PAs in 2016 as DH

Word is that BOS is looking to sign E. Encarnacion. If any team could sign one of these players to act as DH, why on earth would they trade anything for Victor? Additionally, most of these players can still play in the field if need be, Victor CANNOT!

There was a front officer, back in the day for the Cards that said do not die with a star. Keeping JV and MC in 2017 and letting them take a chance of declining could produce a bad TV contract as well. And really the offence/run support effects a pitcher W/L quite a bit. Should JV put up good/great ERA in 2017 well a trade then not trading would be better. But betting on him putting up good numbers on a bad team is taking a chance. Cabrera age and health is becoming a huge factor.
And lets look at the Tigers moves so far. Keeping Brad imo is not a great move. Trading the best CF on your roster is questionable. Jury out until I see his replacement. Keeping K-Rod as closer does not give me a great feeling. And all three of those moves are big ones on a team, leadership Brad, up the middle defence Maybin, and your closer K-Rod was #5 on Baseball Reference.com,could be a great move ,time will tell.

There was a front officer, back in the day for the Cards that said do not die with a star. Keeping JV and MC in 2017 and letting them take a chance of declining could produce a bad TV contract as well. And really the offence/run support effects a pitcher W/L quite a bit. Should JV put up good/great ERA in 2017 well a trade then not trading would be better. But betting on him putting up good numbers on a bad team is taking a chance. Cabrera age and health is becoming a huge factor.
And lets look at the Tigers moves so far. Keeping Brad imo is not a great move. Trading the best CF on your roster is questionable. Jury out until I see his replacement. Keeping K-Rod as closer does not give me a great feeling. And all three of those moves are big ones on a team, leadership Brad, up the middle defence Maybin, and your closer K-Rod was #5 on Baseball Reference.com,could be a great move ,time will tell.

Whoever this former front office guy was .. he was an idiot. JV has had a couple off years but has been very good most years, the last two for example. Doesn't seem to be slowing down. And Miggy played in 156 games last season.. age 33 and still went .956OPS. That's pretty damn good.

K-rod is cheap as heck when it comes to a good closer. 9m for Maybin is a risk so they dealt with it.

Whoever this former front office guy was .. he was an idiot. JV has had a couple off years but has been very good most years, the last two for example. Doesn't seem to be slowing down. And Miggy played in 156 games last season.. age 33 and still went .956OPS. That's pretty damn good.

K-rod is cheap as heck when it comes to a good closer. 9m for Maybin is a risk so they dealt with it.

It was the guy that Pujols walk...which was a great move...and he was better than Miggy, up to that point in his career.

well i'll go on record now and say that if miggy is traded away and not back next year, I won't be either.

simple as that. who's with me?

Last edited:
I just don't understand the Maybin love. He can't stay healthy so he is not worth the money.

Last edited:
Pujols 2009-2011 Away (last 3 years with STL, ages 29-31)

154 wRC+ .390 OBP .594 SLG .984 OPS 12.1 PA/BB (avg 32 IBB a year)

Cabrera 2012-2014 Away (ages 29-31)

158 wRC+ .388 OBP .554 SLG .942 OPS 12.9 PA/BB (avg 15 IBB a year)

Pujols 2012-2014 Away (first 3 years with LAA, ages 32-34)

118 wRC+ .327 OBP .485 SLG .812 OPS 17.3 PA/BB (avg 12 IBB a year)
Cabrera 2015-2016 Away (ages 32-33)

154 wRC+ .407 OBP .535 SLG .942 OPS 8.8 PA/BB avg (15 IBB a year)

**NOTE. Walk rates are without IBB

Pujols' regression is directly correlated to his drop in walk rate. Miguel has not seen a regression. In fact, he has improved his walk rate. Any suggestion that Miguel will follow or might follow Pujols' regression is not based on anything other than speculation.

The Detroit Tigers' financial future is dependent on the pending local TV contract. Getting rid of marginal players like Cameron Maybin won't impact viewership one bit. Nobody cares. Get rid of either Miggy or JV, or both, and that TV contract just got real cheap. As Tigers' fans, we should be hoping for a huge local TV contract. That contract is dependent on viewership. Players like Maybin, Upton, Iglesias, etc, etc do not effect viewership. Miggy and JV do. It really is that simple.

You might get rid of Miggy or JV next year. But with that TV Contract pending, it is stupidity or ignorance that would have anyone trading them beforehand.

How does either of these prove that it was the front office guy from the Cards?

I already showed where Cabrera was equal, if not better. Posting links to their Baseball-Reference pages does what?

I was posting stats that show Pujols was better than Miggy prior to them turning 31 (the time that Pujols left the cards)

I was posting stats that show Pujols was better than Miggy prior to them turning 31 (the time that Pujols left the cards)

You are deflecting the response. You made an inference to the front office guy of the Cards. What proof do you have?

I know you hate having Cabrera and JV's long term contracts, but you are reaching Tom. I showed how they were on par with each other. And even if Pujols was better than Cabrera, what proof do you have that Miggy will suffer the same regression? You have none, just your speculation.

Last edited:
You are deflecting the response. You made an inference to the front office guy of the Cards. What proof do you have?

I know you hate having Cabrera and JV's long term contracts, but you are reaching Tom. I showed how they were on par with each other. And even if Pujols was better than Cabrera, what proof do you have that Miggy will suffer the same regression? You have none, just your speculation.

I have no idea who said that about Pujols...I was just guessing it was the GM of the cards. It really doesn't matter.

The only facts we have is Pujols was better than Miggy prior to them turning 32. As far as what will happen in the future...of course I don't know...nobody does.

I agree it would be a bad idea to trade both of them because it could have a negative impact on attendance & TV ratings. However, if they traded one and they contend for the AL Central, the ratings and attendance will be similar to this year. If they keep both and suck, the ratings and attendance will certainly go down. Winning is what drives TV and attendance.

Miggy is half the reason I even watch them, if they were to trade him there is a very good chance I'd end up scaling back my commitment to watching and following along here just like I have with the lions after Calvin retired..it's just not the same anymore. I'd get over JV but miggy I would not

Almost worth trading him just so you dont post here anymore !!

I have no idea who said that about Pujols...I was just guessing it was the GM of the cards. It really doesn't matter.

The only facts we have is Pujols was better than Miggy prior to them turning 32. As far as what will happen in the future...of course I don't know...nobody does.

I agree it would be a bad idea to trade both of them because it could have a negative impact on attendance & TV ratings. However, if they traded one and they contend for the AL Central, the ratings and attendance will be similar to this year. If they keep both and suck, the ratings and attendance will certainly go down. Winning is what drives TV and attendance.

Can you quantify that or is that strictly an opinion? Because I will say there were equals. Which means nothing really. David Ortiz was also an equal.

Can you quantify that or is that strictly an opinion? Because I will say there were equals. Which means nothing really. David Ortiz was also an equal.

Pujols (11 seasons)

.328 BA / .420 OBP / 1.037 OPS

OPS over 1.000 in 8 of 11 seasons.

455 HR, 445 2B, 15 3B

Miggy (12 seasons)

.320 BA / .396 OBP / .960 OPS

OPS over 1.000 in 3 of 12 seasons

390 HR, 464 2B, 15 3B

I know gold gloves are kind of a popularity contest, but Pujols has 2 and Miggy 0. I think most would say that Pujols was a better defensive player as well.

Back