Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Winter Meetings Dec. 4-8

He signed an extension in March 2013 just short of turning 24 and just after completing 3 complete seasons. His first two seasons he was strictly used as a reliever (novel concept). He was arbitration eligible and CHW bought out his remaining arbitration years.

2017 = $12.0 Mil

2018 = $12.5 Mil (club option, $1 Mil buyout)

2019 = $13.5 Mil (club option, $1 Mil buyout)

Talk about value. This is why BOS could send what they did in the trade. It isn't just about the player himself, but about the minimal amount of salary for ace production.

That contract is insane for a top 6 or 7 pitcher. The buyout too is incredible should he get hurt.

Just think, the Tigers will pay Anibel Sanchez $21 Million to play in 2017 and not to return in 2018.

White Sox just fleeced Nats for Adam Eaton. Giolito and two other top arms for Chicago. Picked up 2 of the top 5 prospects in Baseball in 2 days

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Winter meetings sure not doing anything for Detroit..

White Sox just fleeced Nats for Adam Eaton. Giolito and two other top arms for Chicago. Picked up 2 of the top 5 prospects in Baseball in 2 days

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I saw Giolito's first start at AAA last year. I was impressed with the kid. Still, Eaton is very cost-controlled and a respectable player to have. I am not sure they fleeced the Nats if Eaton helps push them over the top.

Detroit Tigers moves and rumors

The Tigers are gauging interest on former New York Yankee pitchers Justin Wilson and Shane Greene, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. This could be significant for the 2017 Tigers roster.

I imagine we'd get some Mackinaw Fudge for these two. No doubt we'd win that deal..

Detroit Tigers moves and rumors

The Tigers are gauging interest on former New York Yankee pitchers Justin Wilson and Shane Greene, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. This could be significant for the 2017 Tigers roster.

I imagine we'd get some Mackinaw Fudge for these two. No doubt we'd win that deal..

Wants to shed payroll...looks at guys making peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Wants to fix bullpen from within...must have confused "fix" with "pour gas on."

Wants to shed payroll...looks at guys making peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Wants to fix bullpen from within...must have confused "fix" with "pour gas on."

The Tigers wanted the haul CHW got for Sale and/or Eaton, but offering guys that make 2-4 times the money.

Last edited:
The franchise is pretty much in shambles now. We're desperate to shed payroll, but no one wants what we have to offer. If you can get a couple decent prospects for JV you take it. Keep Miggy because he puts asses in the seats everyday.

JV, Sanchez, Green, JD and Victor Martinez, Kinsler, Upton, Zim, and Wilson for several mid level prospects is about all we can hope for.

We are pretty screwed, but you've already made a decision to sell and rebuild, where teams compound the damage is going half way. Get rid of everyone making more than $7 Million a year save for Miggy who will keep the fans coming.

The franchise is pretty much in shambles now. We're desperate to shed payroll, but no one wants what we have to offer. If you can get a couple decent prospects for JV you take it. Keep Miggy because he puts asses in the seats everyday.

JV, Sanchez, Green, JD and Victor Martinez, Kinsler, Upton, Zim, and Wilson for several mid level prospects is about all we can hope for.

We are pretty screwed, but you've already made a decision to sell and rebuild, where teams compound the damage is going half way. Get rid of everyone making more than $7 Million a year save for Miggy who will keep the fans coming.

people aren't going to keep coming to watch Miggy on a 60-70 win team. They will come see anybody play on a winner. Avial has an almost impossible task in front of him. Attendance has been falling for 3 straight years. It will continue to drop next year unless for some reason they start the season on fire and are in first place all spring.

people aren't going to keep coming to watch Miggy on a 60-70 win team. They will come see anybody play on a winner. Avial has an almost impossible task in front of him. Attendance has been falling for 3 straight years. It will continue to drop next year unless for some reason they start the season on fire and are in first place all spring.

I kind of disagree with your first sentence. As Miggy continues to climb in the Tigers career statistical and MLB career statistics, fans will come to hopefully see him do that at Comerica.

You don't think JV puts butts in the seats? People love him, kids love him, and he's a lifer. You keep him. You certainly don't trade him for a couple lousy prospects.. He should have won the Cy Young..

JV and Miggy aren't enough to keep the fans coming. They need a winner.

The Tiger's attendance peaked the year after they went to the WS in 2013 when they won 93 games. The attendance was 3.1 M that year.

2014 2.9M
2015 2.7M
2016 2.5M

In 2016 they ranked 7th out of 15 AL teams in attendance. I fully expect the attendance to drop another 200-300K this year if they are a .500 or worse team. If they really stink, it could easily drop below 2M.

The Tiger's attendance peaked the year after they went to the WS in 2013 when they won 93 games. The attendance was 3.1 M that year.

2014 2.9M
2015 2.7M
2016 2.5M

In 2016 they ranked 7th out of 15 AL teams in attendance. I fully expect the attendance to drop another 200-300K this year if they are a .500 or worse team. If they really stink, it could easily drop below 2M.

It doesn't guarantee us a winner if we trade them. Certainly not next year and maybe not 5 years from now. And I suspect with both you can get to over .500 this season. Depending on who they trade of course..

You know what brings attendance down as well? Being bad and having no talent. Fulmer is not going to do it. You need some marquee names on a baseball team to bring them in.. I know we disagree on this subject but I want to see 3000 hits, 500 home runs, 200 wins, 3000k.

2014 2.9M
2015 2.7M
2016 2.5M

Physical attendance is just one revenue stream. Merchandise (i.e. Jersey) sales are just as important, if not more. You are going to see a huge drop off in merchandise sales if Miggy and/or JV are moved. Not so with J.D. and/or Kinsler. And certainly no impact when someone like Cameron Maybin is moved. In addition, corporate suites are the current fad. You can get Ford, or GM to buy or rent a suite when the team has Miggy or JV as the face of the franchise. You are not going to do it with Brandon Inge, even if they have a winning record. There is a balance here. Clayton Kershaw is the current face of the Dodgers. Derek Jeter was the face of the Yankees for quite a few years. Who is the current face of the Yankees? Gary Sanchez?

I will also point out a many a franchise has seen their attendance decline since 2012/2013. Yes, winning helps increase attendance. But so does economic state of the country. And with soon to be $40 Mil a year contracts, ticket prices at ballparks continue to rise. Average ticket prices will soon be $50 a game. When that happens, you think DET will still get 2.5 mil in attendance, even if they are winning? The revenue is going to come from media (even MLB-TV sales) and from merchandise. It will be like the movie industry. They don't make money on actual box office sales as much as they make it on DVD and Netflix\Hulu sales.

Last edited:
Back