Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Speight

LuciousGameWinner

I've been meaning to write this hear for a while now. I just saw a picture of Speight during the MSU game and it is really creepy that he looks like Harbaughs twin. Am I the only one that sees it? Please tell me I'm not crazy.

I agree. It's been mentioned a couple times on TV, too. If they had the same talent level, too, that'd be nice.

Speaking of Wilton, top to bottom I think this was his best performance to date. I know Illinois sucks ass, but his throws sans one or two were basically all on point.

Speaking of Wilton, top to bottom I think this was his best performance to date. I know Illinois sucks ass, but his throws sans one or two were basically all on point.

I am confident that our secondary sucks even more than Illinois. He'll gave a field day.

Last edited:

his timing is getting good. some of his throws yesterday looked like those easy tosses Rudock would make to Chesson and Darboh last year once he found his footing. 12-15 yards all day long whenever you want it. Anyone dismissing him as a bad QB is in for a rude awakening.

He still has a ways to go though on handling the blitz. I think that's his biggest weakness. in games where we're sitting on a lead, losing a down is not as big of a deal as losing field position or worse, fumbling it after getting hit. He takes too many sacks when he should just throw the ball away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Speight is ahead of where Ruddock was last year basically because he has been in the system longer. You can really see how Harbaugh builds a QB. He starts out a small passing game just doing what he does best. Simple easy throws and easy reads. Then week by week he adds a few more and slowly builds the confidence.

Eh, I'm not sure one way or another when you compare Speight to Rudock. Speight has been in the system longer, but Rudock had 4 years under his belt before he came to Michigan. There's some things Speight still needs to iron out.

My issues with Speight are few, but kind of big.

There are times, of course, when you can't do anything about getting sacked, but he takes too many that he doesn't have to. Throw the ball away.

The other issue is the same I have with Matt Stafford. He'll look brilliant, as he did on the pass in coverage to Darboh downfield. That was a great throw that he made look easy. Then, as great as he looked on that pass, he throws two feet behind players that are 5-10 yards downfield that should have been easy. The PI in the end zone with Jake Butt and the first pass of the game on a slant to Chesson. Those were awful passes.

I don't expect him to be perfect, but hell, we're 7-0! Not a whole lot to complain about.

I guess the only thing I'm missing from this offense are the big plays chesson was making in years past. Guess they haven't been needed.

Deveon smith might not be a great college rb...but i think he's a proto typical nfl mid round rb. Probably will be dependant on his 40 time. ...i have no idea what his is.

I guess the only thing I'm missing from this offense are the big plays chesson was making in years past. Guess they haven't been needed.

Deveon smith might not be a great college rb...but i think he's a proto typical nfl mid round rb. Probably will be dependant on his 40 time. ...i have no idea what his is.

4.65 ish I'd bet.

Reading through the game thread you would have thought he had a terrible game. Or at least didn't contribute much to the win and the team won in spite of him.

This was a very nice bounce back game for him after a few weeks where his progression seemed to stall out. Sounds like he took the time to study his weaknesses through the first half of the season and work on them over the break. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going.

He is 25th in the nation with passer rating and has thrown 13 TDs/2 picks, and off memory I don't believe he's lost a fumble. Can't really ask more of him at this point.

Reading through the game thread you would have thought he had a terrible game. Or at least didn't contribute much to the win and the team won in spite of him.

This was a very nice bounce back game for him after a few weeks where his progression seemed to stall out. Sounds like he took the time to study his weaknesses through the first half of the season and work on them over the break. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going.

In the second half, I got confused by some of the comments. I had to go back and check the score in two places to confirm Speight had completed 70% of his passes with 2 TDS and 0 INTs, and we were winning 35 -0.

He is 25th in the nation with passer rating and has thrown 13 TDs/2 picks, and off memory I don't believe he's lost a fumble. Can't really ask more of him at this point.

He had a sack fumble vs Colorado early in the game. But that's it.

Ah yes. Don't remember it super clearly but wasn't that just a corner coming free?

Ah yes. Don't remember it super clearly but wasn't that just a corner coming free?

Yep he came untouched, and Speight didn't seem to see him coming. It wasn't on his blind side though. But that play had bad news written all over it even if he did see him.

Back