Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 83 Tigers vs. giants July 5, 2017

Gorkys Hernandez getting back at the Tigers...

April 30, 2005: Signed by the Detroit Tigers as an amateur free agent.

October 29, 2007: Traded by the Detroit Tigers with Jair Jurrjens to the Atlanta Braves for Edgar ErrorRenteria.

Did this jackass just walk the first batters ? Come on Shane !!!!

Last edited:
This team just can't get any type of streak going. So frustrating.

This team just flat out stinks .. So freaking frustrating to watch and waste time on .. but I do it night in night out. I don't watch every pitch anymore because the team lacks excitement to me.

Last edited:
For TigerMud;
Miggy with 2 singles and 2 total bases 4,531 is now 1 behind Tony Perez needing 2 to pass him for 47th place and also the all-time total base leader of Venezuelan born ML baseball players.

Miggy's 2 hits give him 2,588 now 2 behind Vlad Guerrero and 3 to pass him for 85th place.

Miggy's 2 singles broke a tie with Ernie Banks at 169th place, sent him past Dave Bancroft in 168th place and into a tie with Chili Davis in 167th place with 1,576.

Miggy played in his 2,166 ML game and tied Charlie Grimm and Pee Wee Reese for 156th place.

NOTABLE:
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez had the 1,998th and 1,999th hits of his career Wednesday night. The first was soft chopper up the middle in the seventh that scored two runs. An inning later, he rapped a two-out double off the wall in right-center.

Former Tigers prospect Gorkys Hernandez made his debut at Comerica Park by getting three hits -- two of them infield singles -- for the Giants on Wednesday.
The journeyman infielder never made it to the big leagues with the Tigers.
He was dealt to the Atlanta Braves along with Jair Jurrjens in exchange for Edgar Renteria after the 2007 season.

Tigers reliever Warwick Saupold pitched three scoreless innings of relief, pushing his season ERA to 1.99 in 31 2/3 innings of work. He's allowed just one run in his last 15 innings of work.

With the loss, the Tigers are eight games under the .500 mark.

Norris on Wednesday endured his third straight rough start. He lasted four innings, allowing five runs and seven hits in the Tigers? 5-4 loss to the Giants. He has now given up five runs in each of his last three starts.

Throughout this recent stretch, going back to the start of June, his primary issue has been commanding his pitching. He?s too often working behind in counts and too often not able to make a quality pitch in a key situation.

Of his 70 pitches Wednesday, only 44 were strikes. He walked two (plus two intentional walks) but he was consistently behind hitters.
Four of the five runs came on two-out hits.

MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
Three-Pence bit: Pence drove in the game's first run on a comebacker that left Norris shaken and unsure whether to throw home for what looked like an easier play.
Pence's fourth-inning drive to the out-of-town scoreboard in right-center, by contrast, left little confusion about the outcome, clearing runners from the corners and building a 5-0 lead after Brandon Belt's RBI single. It's just the fourth triple for Pence since 2015.

Gearrin douses the comeback: One night after Justin Upton's go-ahead two-run single, the Tigers' seventh-inning comeback again gave him a chance to be a hero, bringing the hot-hitting outfielder to the plate with the potential tying run on second base and two out.
But sidearmer Cory Gearrin -- the fourth reliever of the inning -- attacked with sliders inside until Upton swung and missed at the 2-2 pitch, ending the threat.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/giants-...375#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491375
Boxscore.

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/det/video/search?team_id=116&tagName=Detroit Tigers
Webvideo Highlights and lowlights of the Tigers loss to the giants.

Roars
Warwick Saupold ? Came in relief of Norris, allowing just one hit across three innings to stop the bleeding.

Seventh inning ? The Tigers sent nine batters to the plate and scored four to give themselves a fighting chance.

Nicholas Castellanos ? Inning-ending double play in the ninth inning when he tagged the runner going to third and got the force out at first. Miguel Cabrera gets the assist.

Hisses
Daniel Norris ? Lipstick on a pig from the tv broadcast aside, he gave up five runs and in four innings of work, and stuck the bullpen with a lot of innings.

Justin Upton ? One day the hero, the next day 0-fer. Baseball. Feh!

Stats and stuff
This is the sixth time in 16 starts this year that Daniel Norris gave up five runs. It was the second-shortest start of the year for Norris, the shortest being 3-2/3 innings on June 28.

The Giants used four pitchers in the seventh inning.

A day after leaving the game early with hip tightness, Miguel Cabrera went 2-for-4.

Quality Starts

Fulmer 14-16 87.5%
Sanchez 2-3 66.7%
Verlander 9-17 52.9%
Farmer 2-4 50.0%

2015 AL Average 50.1%
2016 AL Average 47.1%

Boyd 5-11 45.5%

2017 AL Average 44.1%

Norris 6-16 37.5%
Zimmermann 6-16 37.5%

Thank you KC cut and pasted that to the thread, I'm a little lacking in engery and motivation right now with the tigers being as bad as they as are, after Sunday and being so utterly unimpressed with them it really soured me. if miggy is dealt I'll probebly lose all interest in keeping it updated at all.

Last edited:
Thank you KC cut and pasted that to the thread, I'm a little lacking in engery and motivation right now with the tigers being as bad as they as are, after Sunday and being so utterly unimpressed with them it really soured me. if miggy is dealt I'll probebly lose all interest in keeping it updated at all.

I understand, it's very disappointing how this season and everything has soured with the team past 2/3 years.

Back