Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cameron Maybin Traded to the Tigers

You ragged on me for saying Kinsler would be a great addition to this team, and now he is the best 2b we had since Polanco. Could be same story here.

Don't bother with him, he thinks every deal the Tigers make is terrible. He thought Omar Infante and Kinsler were equals for fucks sake. :ashamed:

"The problem with this trade is it doesn't help us get get wins. We need many players at different positions to compete.. And we get Maybin? I want better, not the same."

Exactly.
Losing anything to acquire Maybin makes zero sense. He adds little or nothing to the team, losing to get him just indicates poor planing and bad execution at the executive level.

"I like the deal."
Why?

Not to be a dick, but why do you guys like it? What is there to like about it? What does it do? What does it allow the Tigers to do that they could before? How does it improve the team?

It doesn't. He is basically the exact same thing that the Tigers already have, and the gave up two lefties with 95mphish fastballs: Krol still might turn it around (not holding my breath either) and Speier was a viable prospect.

They gave up things to stand pat!
Not improve.
Stay the same.
That is not good GMing and it is nothing to be happy about unless standing pat were good, which it isn't. It is mediocre at best.

Also, regarding Krol, I didn't have him penciled into start with the big club next year, he was like a AAA back up. So the choice isn't between homer-giver Krol and Maybin, but between $7.5 (this year plus buy out) for two lefties a prospect and a guy who has good stuff and might turn it around.

I'm torn, like maybe Maybin will have a career year, YAY! But then the Tigers will pick up the option... which probably won't be a good thing.

Last edited:
Don't bother with him, he thinks every deal the Tigers make is terrible. He thought Omar Infante and Kinsler were equals for fucks sake. :ashamed:

Which deal in the last 2-3 years put them over the top? Which one made them better? Which one has worked out drastically in DET's favor?

2011-2013 Away

O. Infante 98 wRC+ .317 OBP .411 SLG .728 OPS

I. Kinsler 90 wRC+ .303 OBP .387 SLG .690 OPS

2011-2013 UZR/150

O. Infante 6.1 UZR/150

I. Kinsler 5.5 UZR/150

From 2011-2013, they were equals based on the evidence presented.

2014-2015 Salaries

O. Infante (33) $12.5 Mil

I. Kinsler (33) $32.0 Mil

And based on the information above, if you knew one was going to make $16.0 Mil a year and the other was going to make $6.0 Mil, where is the value? Who would you rather have? Add in the fact that DET was throwing in $30 Mil. It wasn't about the fact that one was better than the other or that they were equals. It was the fact that Infante prior to 2014 season was the better value.

The reason people backed the trade was their hatred for Fielder. Their liking the deal was centered on that emotion. And now, this trade is centered on most people's hatred of Krol.

Who really thinks Maybin is worth $8.0 Mil a year? Based on performance not on conjecture.

Wait, we're paying Maybin 8 mil????????????

I honestly don't think he's worth the 5+ mil that we are ACTUALLY paying him, but at least get it right.

I don't think this deal makes us better or worse. It really didn't do anything. It was a spot that had to be filled on the roster and it's filled.

I honestly don't think he's worth the 5+ mil that we are ACTUALLY paying him, but at least get it right.

He's earning 8 million total for 2016, regardless of who's paying it.

The question was does anyone think he's worth 8 million a year.

Try to keep up.

He's earning 8 million total for 2016, regardless of who's paying it.

The question was does anyone think he's worth 8 million a year.

Try to keep up.

how much are WE paying him?????

Who the fuck cares the total he's making? Only matters what WE pay! Right?

Why don't YOU try to keep up!

Last edited:
I don't think this deal makes us better or worse. It really didn't do anything. It was a spot that had to be filled on the roster and it's filled.

It fills no need. He does not hit lefties or righties with any degree of specificity. He is average at best on defense. On a team in need of a lefty hitter, he is a righty. It is a stupid move, plain and simple.

So his actually salary is $8 Mil for 2015 and $9 Mil for 2016 if DET picks up his option or they play $1 Mill. ATL sent $2.5 Mil.

So, if he only plays 1 year in DET (without picking up option), he costs DET $6.5 Mil. If he plays 2, it is $14.5 Mil.

And like Thumb said, his actually salary is $8 Mil, regardless who is paying.

Hopefully you will get is right in the future.

It fills no need. He does not hit lefties or righties with any degree of specificity. He is average at best on defense. On a team in need of a lefty hitter, he is a righty. It is a stupid move, plain and simple.

The move doesn't excite me at all, but its not really the type of move that puts us at some sort of risk in the future. Just seems that some of you guys bitch for the sake of bitching.

I can "fill" a roster spot, too. So can a player who makes a lot less than Maybin. Since this trade was not designed to improve the club.

Last edited:
The move doesn't excite me at all, but its not really the type of move that puts us at some sort of risk in the future. Just seems that some of you guys bitch for the sake of bitching.

Seriously, we gave up two LHPs, one of which is 20-years old and has a good upside and you don't see the issue? I cannot help you.

Also, the full $8 Mil counts if we are talking luxury tax. Prior to trading Cespedes and Price, we were close to having to pay. Who knows how close in 2016, but moves like this isn't encouraging.

This is a message board. We are allowed to vent and discuss the moves the Tigers make. What trade have they made that I disagreed with has made them significantly better long term? You want to discuss. Great. But no, you just want to point out how some are negative. You offer no counter argument or present a different idea that someone might take with an open-mind. You even condescend what is presented.

What was the last move that you've supported, reb?

I liked getting Iglesias for Avisail Garcia and Villarreal. I was OK, not thrilled, with the package of Cespedes, Speier and Alex Wilson for Porcello. I felt we did great getting Fulmer and Cessa for Cespedes. So that was probably the last deal I was OK with.

I don't like the deals made for Gose, Maybin, nor Price. I am not thrilled with the package we got for Price.

With a team laden with righthanded hitters, I value lefthanded hitters. Yet, we keep getting more righthanded hitters. Which is my primary objections to the Cepedes, Maybin and/or J.D. Martinez signing.

I also value players that take walks/patient hitters. Iglesias doesn't, but he supplies a skillset of need, defense and hits well for his position.

I have made no bones of the fact that I don't believe in signing or trading for relief pitchers/closers. So, Nathan, Hannrahan, Feliz, Chamberlain and Rodriguez goes against that core belief. It isn't against those players, per se, but the overvalue of relievers/closers.

One lefty pitcher 24, other 20. You don't trade away young LHP talent for poor defensive, low OBP, high salary 4th OF type player. Tigers got their pocket picked.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

One lefty pitcher 24, other 20. You don't trade away young LHP talent for poor defensive, low OBP, high salary 4th OF type player. Tigers got their pocket picked.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My guess is there will be a lot of FA players that produce better than Maybin that sign for less money this off season. This trade makes no sense to me

It's funny I saw one article that thought Atlanta was tanking because they traded Maybin. Lol.

Not sure I understand this move. Maybin is a former top prospect who just never really became anything. At this point, it's highly unlikely he ever will. I'd rather have kept Davis if the goal is/was to platoon him with Gose. Neither are/were starting worthy in CF or LF either. So, what was the point of this trade again?

The deal shows AA is clueless thinking Maybin had a good season last year and has turned his career around.. Just a shit deal..

Back