Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. blue jays 7-07-16 Game 86

When your starter only goes 5 2/3 innings you are going to have to pitch a few relievers. You can't run your closer out there for 3 1/3 innings

I didn't say that. I said K-Rod in the 8th inning.

Asked if he considered using Rodriguez for the final out in the eighth, Ausmus said: ?I thought about it. I didn?t want to do that again.?

Why?

?I think I did it once,? Ausmus said. ?I?d prefer not to use K-Rod for four outs.?
Ausmus said it wasn?t due to Rodriguez saying anything after the four-out effort in June.

?Just for me, personal preference,? Ausmus said. ?If he was 25 maybe. But I?d rather not do it too often.?

Guess who's splits these are: (G, IP, ER, ERA, OPS+)

7th inning 14 11.0 0 0.00 43
8th inning 51 46.0 15 2.93 63
9th inning 66 63.0 13 1.86 63
Ext inning 12 18.0 2 1.00 -42

Hint: 1984 AL Cy Young and MVP

Guess who's splits these are: (G, IP, ER, ERA, OPS+)

7th inning 14 11.0 0 0.00 43
8th inning 51 46.0 15 2.93 63
9th inning 66 63.0 13 1.86 63
Ext inning 12 18.0 2 1.00 -42

Hint: 1984 AL Cy Young and MVP

Too bad we don't have a Cy Young caliber reliever on the Tigers!

Edit:

Hernandez was 29 and pitched 140+ innings that year. The next year he pitched 106+ innings. K-Rod is 34. When Hernandez was 34 he pitched 31 innings and had an era of 5.74 and was out of baseball the next year. Maybe pitching 247 innings in two seasons wasn't the best thing for his arm?

Last edited:
oh..I thought you meant have K-Rod start the 8th

There was 2 outs in the 8th and bases loaded when Ausmus brought in Alex Wilson to face Tulo. Alex Wilson has been one of the worst with Inherited Runners scoring, when K-Rod has stranded all 10 that he has faced. 1 more out for K-Rod is not asking a lot in this situation.

Another fail for Ausmus.

Don't need that. Just sometimes put your best reliever out there when the situation merits it, like last night, for example.

John Hiller, 1973. (G, IP, ER, ERA)

7th inning 22 18.0 5 2.50
8th inning 36 30.2 5 1.47
9th inning 52 45.1 5 0.99
Ext inning 10 15.0 3 1.80

Edit:

Hernandez was 29 and pitched 140+ innings that year. The next year he pitched 106+ innings. K-Rod is 34. When Hernandez was 34 he pitched 31 innings and had an era of 5.74 and was out of baseball the next year. Maybe pitching 247 innings in two seasons wasn't the best thing for his arm?

I'm not talking about loading up innings for K-Rod. Just about using him in the 8th when it's necessary.

Asked if he considered using Rodriguez for the final out in the eighth, Ausmus said: ?I thought about it. I didn?t want to do that again.?

Why?

?I think I did it once,? Ausmus said. ?I?d prefer not to use K-Rod for four outs.?
Ausmus said it wasn?t due to Rodriguez saying anything after the four-out effort in June.

?Just for me, personal preference,? Ausmus said. ?If he was 25 maybe. But I?d rather not do it too often.?

How many games is this moron going to let slip away? I know he's smart enough to realize a loss in July counts the same as a loss in September, but when is he going to act smart enough to manage games this way? His stubborn, condescending "I know better than you" attitude is really grinding on me. I wish at least one of the Tigers beat writers would get in his grill about this stuff more, but I know they all know who writes their paychecks.

IMO it's got nothing to do with any sort of condescending attitude, I think he just doesn't process quickly, not sure what he wants to do, looks over at Geno like a deer in the headlights and Geno just shrugs

Last edited:
Ausmus stupid managing has cost Verlander 3 wins with the stubborn relief pitcher selections and leaving pitchers in too long when most of us can clearly see a pitcher doesn't have it.

imo, We will be lucky to get one more win on this road trip.

Ausmus stupid managing has cost Verlander 3 wins with the stubborn relief pitcher selections and leaving pitchers in too long when most of us can clearly see a pitcher doesn't have it.

imo, We will be lucky to get one more win on this road trip.

which 3 games?

which 3 games?

I'm not going to look them up, all I know is his handling of the pitchers starters and bullpen, there have been games that Verlander left with the lead and how he managed the relievers cost him the lead and win along with the team.

Verlander did not get the win in the following.

Apr 5 - Left after 6 ahead by 2

May 8 - Left after 7 ahead by 2

Jul 7 - Left after 5.6 ahead by 1

Thanks. The first 2 had nothing to do with the manager's decisions but shitty performances by the BP. Last night is suspect but JV didn't do his job and the pen didn't do theirs either.

Back