Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. twins 7-18-16 Game 93

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
TIGERS (career numbers off Nolasco).
Ian Kinsler, 2B (9-for-23, 3 doubles, 2 K’s)
Cameron Maybin, CF (5-for-7, walk)
Miguel Cabrera, 1B (5-for-16, double, 3 walks, 7 K’s)
Victor Martinez, DH (7-for-14, 2 doubles, 3 walks, 2 K’s)
Nick Castellanos, 3B (4-for-14, 2 doubles, 2 HR, 3 K’s)
Justin Upton, LF (7-for-20, 2 walks, 6 K’s)
Mike Aviles, RF (8-for-14, double, HR, K)
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C (1-for-11, 4 K’s)
Jose Iglesias, SS (4-for-7, double, walk, K)
P: Matt Boyd

The Tigers go with the numbers instead of the sides of the plate tonight. Though Ricky Nolasco would normally warrant a start for Tyler Collins in right field, Mike Aviles is 8-for-14 against him. On the flip side, Jarrod Saltalamacchia is 1-for-11 off Nolasco but gets the start to catch Matt Boyd, who has not thrown a pitch to any other catcher in Detroit so far this season.
The Tigers get their first look this season at Byron Buxton, who they saw a few times last year. He’s in center field, batting ninth in a Twins lineup that has only one .300 hitter with leadoff man Eduardo Nunez.
JasonBeck'sTigersBlog

twins (career numbers vs. Boyd).
Eduardo Nunez, SS
Joe Mauer, 1B (0-for-2)
Miguel Sano, 3B (0-for-2, walk, K)
Brian Dozier, 2B (0-for-2, walk, K)
Max Kepler, RF
Robbie Grossman, DH
Eddie Rosario, LF (1-for-2, triple)
Kurt Suzuki, C (0-for-1, walk)
Byron Buxton, CF
P: Ricky Nolasco

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2016/07/detroit_tigers_gameday_twins.html#incart_river_index
Detroit Tigers Gameday: Trying to stay unbeaten against the Twins.
Mlive

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2016/7/18/12209938/detroit-tigers-minnesota-twins-game-preview-matt-boyd
Game 93 Preview: Minnesota Twins at Detroit Tigers.
bybtb

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=360718106
Twins-Tigers preview.
espn

http://www.baseball-reference.com/previews/2016/DET201607180.shtml
Detroit Tigers vs. Minnesota Twins, at Comerica Park, July 18, 2016 Matchups, Tickets, Preview.
Baseball Reference

Last edited:
Miggy is just lazy fly balls and K's lately. Not driving the ball at all.

Miggy is just lazy fly balls and K's lately. Not driving the ball at all.

His timing looks just a hair off agian he's been so up and down this year, I think Gibson is right, give him a day or two off to get his legs under him again

Migster Late on a 3-0 91 mph fb right down Michigan ave..painful seeing him struggle this badly

Last edited:
Nice pick for a 5 - 4 - 3 dp by Castellanos. Odds are he doesn't make that play '14 or even last year.

Migster Late on a 3-0 91 mph fb right down Michigan ave..painful seeing him struggle this badly

Lots of talk on ankle, calf, knee, back.....but gets me wondering if he is picking the ball up, his eyes?? Hope it's just a prolonged funk.

Years ago, power and average slugger Jim Rice had his eyes go on him and he was never the same his 15th/16th years.

Lots of talk on ankle, calf, knee, back.....but gets me wondering if he is picking the ball up, his eyes?? Hope it's just a prolonged funk.

Years ago, power and average slugger Jim Rice had his eyes go on him and he was never the same his 15th/16th years.

This would be the ideal time for Brad to give him a day or two off, IMO he should take the rest of the series off..

This would be the ideal time for Brad to give him a day or two off, IMO he should take the rest of the series off..

and he had 4 days off with the all-star game, minus what, 2/3 innings and an at bat in the ASG. That's what has me worried.

and he had 4 days off with the all-star game, minus what, 2/3 innings and an at bat in the ASG. That's what has me worried.

Yeah but he still had to fly out there and back, not the same as truly having some nice rest and relax

Yeah but he still had to fly out there and back, not the same as truly having some nice rest and relax

I guess so.

you're probably right, and against the twins who are bad, so bad, they just fired their GM.

Players have to travel to and from the All Star Game. DET was at TOR finishing a 11-game road trip. Then Miggy had to travel to San Diego and participate in all the activities (not just the game). Then travel back to Motown. I don't know about anyone else, but all that travel would take a toll on this old man.

Non-All Star game participants, especially if they finished a series at home, do get 4-days off.

Boyd has pitched a really good game, against a bad team, but still 6 innings, 101 pitches, 3 hits, and 7 K's.

Players have to travel to and from the All Star Game. DET was at TOR finishing a 11-game road trip. Then Miggy had to travel to San Diego and participate in all the activities (not just the game). Then travel back to Motown. I don't know about anyone else, but all that travel would take a toll on this old man.

Non-All Star game participants, especially if they finished a series at home, do get 4-days off.

He was struggling before that though.

Aside from an amazing couple weeks in the middle of May, he's been subpar to his normal standards the rest of the year.

Back