Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Buyers or sellers?

What is there to sell?

Besides, with the local TV expiring after 2017, I doubt they give up the ship until after they renegotiate a new contract. The contract will come cheap if they aren't competitive. I am of the opinion they will continue to do just enough to remain competitive, even if it means buying and even if they know they don't have a realistic chance. Long term, this next TV contract will go along way if they get good value.

Once that contract is signed...IMHO...they sell whatever they can. There is a reason Upton has an opt out after 2 years and J.D. was only signed for 2 years.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2016/7/25/12269032/mlb-trade-rumors-detroit-tigers-buy-sell-al-avila

?I don't foresee us adding another starting pitcher or reliever at this point,? he said. ?We have one of the highest payrolls in baseball and we put this team together in the wintertime thinking this is the team that's going to compete and get us into the playoffs. And we're going to stay the course.?

Sounds like the Tigers will be looking for a new GM come the off season. New GM will need a better Manger. One that can get a 200 mill dollar team to win. Better bench players. shoot 200 mill might cut it!

Sounds like the Tigers will be looking for a new GM come the off season. New GM will need a better Manger. One that can get a 200 mill dollar team to win. Better bench players. shoot 200 mill might cut it!

I was a bit surprised Avila kept Ausmus around. From what I remember, Ausmus was DD's pick. I could be wrong though.

Where is the connection between the payroll and the ability of these players to compete? Sanchez, Pelfry and Upton are overpaid and under-performing relative to their compensation. Verlander is borderline in that regard because of his marginal first half. Seems like he's on one month and off the next and July is an "on" month.

Last edited:
They have nothing to sell. The big contracts that they have aren't really moveable and they need the young players. I think they probably made a mistake not trading JD last year. I remember thinking he was the one player that could have gotten the best return.

Not winning with the current old/high paid schlubs....no sacred cow(s), sell now, including Miggy! Time to "cut-bait" with salary & go for youth.....

Not winning with the current old/high paid schlubs....no sacred cow(s), sell now, including Miggy! Time to "cut-bait" with salary & go for youth.....

Let's hear some specifics. Who for who?

Sell Miggy? No way. Last HOF Detroit uniform, Mr. Kaline. That matters to some of us. And assuming selling these guys gets us to a title.. no guarantee.

I will be stoked when he gets his 3000th hit.

I don't follow other teams minor leagues to know who we should target, but I think we should sell anyone another team shows interest in. We can eat money if that is what it takes to get back good talent. The only guy I would hesitate on is Miggy due to his HoF likelyhood... but he appears to be declining and that contract in all probability will be truly ugly in 4-5 years.

Guys we should be able to get a good return on:
Both Martinezes
Kinsler
Iglesias
Castellanos
Verlander (even with his contract)
Rodriguez
Wilson
Rondon

Fulmer, Boyd, and other young guys could also be sold if the return is overwhelming.

To be honest, I would say we should buy but we just don't have the ammo to get two starting pitchers of the calibre needed to push us over the top this year, so I say we should sell. This core has passed it's peak and will only decline going forward, so if we sell it should be a fire sale IMO. Of course Illitch will not sign off on that, sooooo...

Last edited:
I don't follow other teams minor leagues to know who we should target, but I think we should sell anyone another team shows interest in. We can eat money if that is what it takes to get back good talent. The only guy I would hesitate on is Miggy due to his HoF likelyhood... but he appears to be declining and that contract in all probability will be truly ugly in 4-5 years.

Both Martinezes
Kinsler
Iglesias
Castellanos
Rodriguez
Wilson
Rondon

Fulmer, Boyd, and other young guys could also be sold if the return is overwhelming.

What would you get for Fulmer? Young unproven or older vets who make much money. Get rid of the old not the young. And Miggy stays. The organization needs him.. It's like trading Kaline. No title is worth that.

Last edited:
The entire rationale behind selling would be if you are not competitive so as to rip the band aid off and eventually become competitive through rebuild.

There is nothing logical about selling now only 5 games out. Next year could make more sense with a verlander being a possibility as well as JD/Victor/Kinsler. Those guys would have tremendous value to contenders looking for short term deals. Even Sanchez if he ever remembers how to pitch.

I look for the fire sale to come this time next year if Detroit isn't in first place.

Both Martinezes
Kinsler
Iglesias
Castellanos
Rodriguez
Wilson
Rondon

What kind of good return are we going to get for Rondon?

Why would you sell Fulmer? He's the guy you want to gain in a sell off trade, not to lose...

And nobody, except maybe the Yankees 8 years ago would touch JV's contract.

If we're within 2 of the WC and 4 of the Division at the deadline then I vote for standing pat as Avila said. Otherwise I would consider dumping some contracts if someone is willing to give up a good amount of prospects.

Back