Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT: Hit the Showers!

TheVictors

So this morning while driving into work the Denver sports radio guys were talking football or whatever when Mark "Stink" Schlereth went into this story about Woody Hayes ...

Schlereth is the co-host of the morning drive show and still lives in Denver and I think often does the show from Bristol, CT if he's at ESPN ...

So, in his story, he was saying how Woody Hayes had this tradition of showering with his players after some practices and apparently would at times "wash the players' backs" if he'd been particularly tough on them during the practice. Schlereth's recount was something like "it's hard to stay angry with someone willing to wash your back...."

I nearly spit my coffee on the dash board and especially in light of the Sandusky scandal at Penn State but sure enough, Stink was telling the truth .. Woody Hayes would shower with the team after practice.

This seem odd to anyone?? Is it common for the head coach or any coaches to shower with the players??

https://books.google.com/books?id=s...=onepage&q=woody hayes shower practice&f=true

sometimes I wonder if when old farts lament the good old days, where people were (supposedly) more moral, honest, decent to eachother, it was really like... oh... THE OPPOSITE.

Last edited:
It would certainly seem odd it today.

It was a different time and Woody Hayes was obviously quirky. I guess if his players were OK with it, then no blood no foul.

Washing backs is weird. But there is some truth to the changing times idea too. There was something...I think it was Jon Faulk that said/wrote it...that had me thinking someone had that old-man-doesn't-care-if-he's-wearing-anything-when-he-talks-to-you attitude in the locker room. Don't remember if he was talking about himself or Schembechler, but I don't think it involved players.

But washing players' backs is weird.

I don't think our coach Jim would be washing any players backs in the showers, but he certainly is quirky, like Bo and Woody were.

Did Jerry Sandusky used to shower with the Penn State team after games?

I'm guessing the answer is yes.

It seems like I've heard another naked Woody Hayes story out there too...like someone walked in on him riding a stationary bike, buck naked, tried to excuse themselves, but he said 'no, what is it?' and they had their conversation with naked Hayes on a stationary bike.

It seems like I've heard another naked Woody Hayes story out there too...like someone walked in on him riding a stationary bike, buck naked, tried to excuse themselves, but he said 'no, what is it?' and they had their conversation with naked Hayes on a stationary bike.

that's very Lyndon B. Johnson of him.

that's very Lyndon B. Johnson of him.

Legend is LBJ was very proud of his purportedly giant penis and liked to show it off to men and women alike whenever he could, not unlike the famous Milton Berle, who is said to have walked around the Friar's Club and and flashed his enormous member to fellow stars, back in the golden days of Hollywood.

I won't post any links but the internet is full of lore regarding the pride these two had for their prodigious shlongs.
EDIT:

I changed my mind. This from Jezebel puts Milton Berle at #6 and LBJ at #10.

Last edited:
I know that Woody coached and recruited pretty aggressively. Part of the backstory of Rob Lytle was also Randy Gradishar, perhaps the greatest LB who is not enshrined in Canton, and how Hayes tapped into ..patriotic leanings.

With Gradishar, he said even if he wanted to play at MICHIGAN, that his Dad was completely wowed by Woody. Lytle, if I recall, got a handwritten note from Woody that wished him best, aside from against the Buckeyes.

Last edited:
Back